Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

So, who's to blame? Head Contractor or HVAC Subcontractor

I've made few bones about that I like my Lennox/Armstrong straight A/C but the installation blew and swallowed.

We hired the building of our house in the summer of 1993. Ultimately should the blame for the crappy install go to the sub or the head.

My wife and I are certainly no experts when it comes to proper installs and sometimes bad things show up a few years later. I'm tempted to blame the Head Contractor, b/c there were some other...uh shortcuts.

Opinions?

Without seeing the problems and knowing why they might have occured it's hard to say. We've had jobs where we wanted to do things "the right way" but the Gen. said no you can't do that. I would say the HVAC sub should make his stuff right, but sometimes it isn't allowed to happen. Even HO's will get in the way sometimes, "well, grandma's picture goes on that wall, so can you put that over there"? Or, "No, I don't want to see that over there". "Will it still work OK"? Seems they never ask that at that point.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

So you directly hired the general contractor that constructed your house? And you're wondering who is ultimately to blame for a poor end product? Was this contractor the lowest of three estimates perhaps? Maybe he in turn hired the mechanical contractor with the lowest prices as well.

Blame Both

First off it's the subcontractors fault for a bad installation, but secondly it is the head contractors fault before the sub contractor for hiring that person to do your job. So both of them are to blame to be completely honest. But by right you should give the subcontractor a chance to fix the problem. If they fail to do this right the second time around it should be the head contractors responsibiliy to hire someone who can

Am I understanding this right...you're griping about an install...

from 15 years ago??

If it was 15 years ago, they both will probably tell you to go fly a kite.

Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    I've made few bones about that I like my Lennox/Armstrong straight A/C but the installation blew and swallowed.

We hired the building of our house in the summer of 1993. Ultimately should the blame for the crappy install go to the sub or the head.

My wife and I are certainly no experts when it comes to proper installs and sometimes bad things show up a few years later. I'm tempted to blame the Head Contractor, b/c there were some other...uh shortcuts.

Opinions?
    Well, if you ultimately hired these guys and signed off on the work (general contractor), then YOU are to blame. 15 years, sheesh. Its time to replace the system already..............

i have to question the ethics of the new contractor you have
    it is the easest thing to come in and bad mouth the last company and use scare tectics while doing so
    they also could be telling the truth but this sounds fishy to me

the system seems to have worked fine for fifteen years and you have been confortable for the same ammount of time

what is this thing that was missed and if it cooled and heated the way it was designed then who is to blame

show some pictures

Romulan Troll is more like it.

That's me

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Romulan Troll is more like it.
    when my word is disputed

I'll have to blame the installer. After all, it's 15 years down the road and it's still running.

Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    The General Contractor's job is to get the job done according to a.) contract (price/schedule), b.) code and c.) spec (architect plans + home owner choices). If he got the sub-contractor to get his job done, it passed inspection and the system heated and cooled, and you didn't complain to him within one year, then he did his job.

I too have been reamed by the pro's I trusted for several years to get my system fixed. In fact they were screwing it up more and more while telling me it was time to start thinking about getting a new one. Four years later, consumer educated, both coils cleaned and 3 extra pounds of R-22 removed, my old heat pump now works GREAT.

Legal claims are unlikely because there are many ways and reasons to argue their incompetence/malfeasance, plus a lot of time has passed. So, I will no proceed to do the most important thing I can do as a consumer- trash their name to everyone who can listen.

Anyone reading this, feel free to contact me for the name of a contractor NOT to use in Central Maryland.

-HF

Quote Originally Posted by hangfirew8 View Post
    The General Contractor's job is to get the job done according to a.) contract (price/schedule), b.) code and c.) spec (architect plans + home owner choices). If he got the sub-contractor to get his job done, it passed inspection and the system heated and cooled, and you didn't complain to him within one year, then he did his job.

I too have been reamed by the pro's I trusted for several years to get my system fixed. In fact they were screwing it up more and more while telling me it was time to start thinking about getting a new one. Four years later, consumer educated, both coils cleaned and 3 extra pounds of R-22 removed, my old heat pump now works GREAT.

Legal claims are unlikely because there are many ways and reasons to argue their incompetence/malfeasance, plus a lot of time has passed. So, I will no proceed to do the most important thing I can do as a consumer- trash their name to everyone who can listen.

Anyone reading this, feel free to contact me for the name of a contractor NOT to use in Central Maryland.

-HF
    What the hell?!!! Since when is this site for disgruntled HO's to trash HVAC contractors?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast