What is reasonable to ask for at system startup?

My installer is about to startup my new AC system, and I am wondering what is considered "reasonable" to expect from him.

Between reading all the installation instructions and lurking here, I have just enough understanding of how things "should be done" to probably be a total pain to him - on the other hand, I would like things done by the book.

So, where is the line between me wanting to make sure that he does things by the book (or explain to me why he is doing things differently) and him expecting me to trust him as the professional without keeping an eye on things?

For example, if the Goodman instructions say to add 0.6 oz of R410 per ft of lineset above 15 ft before opening up the valves, and he does not follow that, do I question him? If the instructions say to charge on low stage and aim for 5-7 deg of SC and he does something different, what do I do?

Finally, what is normal to expect at the end to know that the system is set up and running correctly - would he give me the measured SC and SH values, ESP, etc?

Would really appreciate your thoughts,

Thanks,

Mark

Some techs add the .6 or what ever amount it may be. After they have the system running. Most before. But there is no requirement that it be done before.

Nitrogen while brazing. Vacuum system and check vacuum with micron gauge.

Record SH, SC, and temp split across coil.
    Amp draw of compressor.
    Static pressure of system.

He may not do all of this. Example, He might not be able or know how to check static pressure.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by mark johnson View Post
    My installer is about to startup my new AC system, and I am wondering what is considered "reasonable" to expect from him.

Between reading all the installation instructions and lurking here, I have just enough understanding of how things "should be done" to probably be a total pain to him - on the other hand, I would like things done by the book.

So, where is the line between me wanting to make sure that he does things by the book (or explain to me why he is doing things differently) and him expecting me to trust him as the professional without keeping an eye on things?

For example, if the Goodman instructions say to add 0.6 oz of R410 per ft of lineset above 15 ft before opening up the valves, and he does not follow that, do I question him? If the instructions say to charge on low stage and aim for 5-7 deg of SC and he does something different, what do I do?

Finally, what is normal to expect at the end to know that the system is set up and running correctly - would he give me the measured SC and SH values, ESP, etc?

Would really appreciate your thoughts,

Thanks,

Mark
    It would of course be best if things were done correctly.But it really would have been best to bring this up,before you bought the system,why did you wait,just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Some techs add the .6 or what ever amount it may be. After they have the system running. Most before. But there is no requirement that it be done before.

Amp draw of compressor.

He may not do all of this. Example, He might not be able or know how to check static pressure.
    Thanks beenthere, this is helpful. I just wanted to make sure that I am not too out of line asking for this kind of info. And I understand that some things may not be totally by the book, I just wanted a sanity check. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    It would of course be best if things were done correctly.But it really would have been best to bring this up,before you bought the system,why did you wait,just curious.
    Hi dash,

Well, the reality is that around here it is hard enough to get a contractor to do a job for you and to sound at least half intelligent - and I was happy to find an installer who showed up as promised, sized the system using Manual J, and said all the other things that made him sound like he was thorough. I am quite pleased with the instal (I'll post pictures later for critique).

But he did not discuss in too much detail exactly what he'll do at startup and what data he'll give me. I didn't really worry about that too much at the time, I was more concerned about getting the right system installed properly. Now that all that's left is the startup, I am beginning to obsess over the details. Does that make sense?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Yeah,tough to decide who to trust.Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

Amp draw of compressor.

he may not even have equipment for ESP
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?