Need help deciding !

Hi all,

This is my first post and I need some help. I want to know if I should convert from my current Central AC to a heat pump. Here are some details.

1. 1600 sq/ft single level home
    2. Currently have 3 ton central AC with Oil furnace (8 yrs old)
    3. Live in mountains of western North Carolina
    4. Use appox 300 gallons of oil each winter

Local HVAC guy said he would be comfortable saying I would use 2/3 even possible 3/4 less oil.

1st ? - What % do you think my power bill will go up?
    2nd ? - Is his estimate on fuel oil usage accurate?

If you consider at least 200 gal/year in oil savings @ nearly $5/gal that would be $1000 first year.

Is this realistic and would you go for it???

If have left out any important details please let me know

Thanks all,
    EZ
    Last edited by EZstreet; 07-31-2008 at 03:44 PM.

Please remove pricing as it is not allowed on this site. Others will tell you the same.

You will get good advice from the people here for your current need. You may need to add more information but I am sure it will be asked to help with your current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Garc33 View Post
    Please remove pricing as it is not allowed on this site. Others will tell you the same.

You will get good advice from the people here for your current need. You may need to add more information but I am sure it will be asked to help with your current situation.

DONE, sorry about that !

Check out this heating cost comparison calc. It may help you mix and match different types of HPs with your oil furnace as backup versus just your oil. Its not perfect, but you can personalize the numbers for your application to give you a ballpark. I'm no expert so I stress the ballpark part. This spreadsheet requires you to estimate usage of your system, and be sure to plug in a 13 SEER HP as 12s are no longer sold.

One more ?

The guy that came out to do the estimate said it is possible that I may have a heat pump A-coil already. He wouldn't know unless he took the cover off. Anyway, assuming it is would you recommend keeping the existing coil or installing a new one? Substantial cost associated with the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by EZstreet View Post
    The guy that came out to do the estimate said it is possible that I may have a heat pump A-coil already. He wouldn't know unless he took the cover off. Anyway, assuming it is would you recommend keeping the existing coil or installing a new one? Substantial cost associated with the new one.
    It is possible to reuse an existing indoor coil. I believe ARI has a website that will tell you what will match. You will have to balance the cost savings, limited options on an outdoor unit, remaining lifespan vice all the options and costs of a new system.

I would get quotes both ways and check back here for recommendations.

Coil Type

As I mentioned he said I may have a heat pump coil. I just now pulled the cover off and I have a Noredyne c3qa-036u-b. Is this an AC only or a heat pump?

Thanks for all the help..

EZ

we have set a lot of new units with the dual fuel system. most homeowners notice considerable savings vs. standard gas or oil. If you plan to stay in the home a while, it would be worth your savings. if you plan to sell, you would just be giving the new owners a new system. It is a great option for people in mild winter climates.