Thread: Is there a "quieter" air handler?

Post Likes

Is there a "quieter" air handler?

The better half is about ready to throw a hammer into our Armstrong. Told her that'd be even noisier-didn't go over well.

Post Likes
    Lennox CBX32MV air handler is the very quiet. Assuming the duct system is sized ok

Post Likes
    Any air handler is quiet if the duct is sized correctly.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes

I'm googlin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by jjer View Post
    Lennox CBX32MV air handler is the very quiet. Assuming the duct system is sized ok
    Is this their top of the line AH?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    Is this their top of the line AH?
    yes, very quiet with a properly sized duct system.

Post Likes
    Yes. If you want a really quiet outdoor unit the XP15 by Lennox is suppose to be the quietest.

Post Likes
    A lot of the noise could be from the ductwork... have it checked out before you replace to ensure proper sizing and ample supply and return.

Post Likes
    Just curios. Don't you have to increase the register grill and box size when you
    go from...say 8" duct to 10" duct?

That can make for a less than asthetic look on a wall or ceiling.

Also, say you wanted to increase the duct work...would 8" to 10" make
    a noticable reduction in air noise in an 887 sq. ft. condo with 2 Ton?

Or would you have to go even larger...and thus a more uglier sized register?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by caslon View Post
    Just curios. Don't you have to increase the register grill and box size when you
    go from...say 8" duct to 10" duct?

That can make for a less than asthetic look on a wall or ceiling.

Also, say you wanted to increase the duct work...would 8" to 10" make
    a noticable reduction in air noise in an 887 sq. ft. condo with 2 Ton?

Or would you have to go even larger...and thus a more uglier sized register?
    Do you want less noise or a smaller register?
    This is your choice. You've asked the question 100 different ways on this forum.
    Increase the duct size AND register.
    Are you really going to notice the difference in size?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    Do you want less noise or a smaller register?
    This is your choice. You've asked the question 100 different ways on this forum.
    Increase the duct size AND register.
    Are you really going to notice the difference in size?
    Nah...just when I have my eyes open, or try to sell the place later on.

Your replies to mine keep getting more useless.

I asked if going from 8" to 10" ductwork and larger register is a significant enough upsize to
    make any appreciable difference in noisy airflow. I can handle increasing my current 12 x 6
    duct box to the next bigger size (which is a register box for 10" flex ducting).

A bigger wall register would be needed.

Ya I don't want to get gigantic ugly on my walls. Is that hard to comprehend?

I live in a condo...not a gymnasium.

To anyone else following this, I just recieved a rather large shipment of 2" thick fiborous material which I just cut and fitted into my hallway closet cavity return area.

Huge improvement in sound.

I've ordered more sound blocking/absorbing 1" closed cell foam for the furnace closet, which is located in my lap (small condo).

I'll forgo increasing the duct size, but run a loop duct off the plenum back to my "too short" LR vent box.
    Don't worry, I will mosey it back in a round about way as it should go.
    That should practically take care of my "noise" issues and all my posts here.

It's been fun, but i got more help from ppl with a home theatre system and AC noise than
    you nuts and bolts types here.

hehee. Also...damn, quieting down a system in a small condo can get expensive with all the "materials" out there.

You guys have been cool.

Post Likes

im only seeing bits about your problem

im thinking that you have a vertical airhandler and are using a closet for the return theres two ways to get it quieter and perform better
    1) turn the blower fan speed down
    2)add a return somewhere else and tie into it (make two grills one in the closet one in hallway or living room connect with say 10" flex use 12x12 return boxes) you wouldnt need any filters because its using the closet) ** this is a pass through
    if im wrong make the plenum bigger and add a return (meaning it was horizontal Goodluck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    The better half is about ready to throw a hammer into our Armstrong. Told her that'd be even noisier-didn't go over well.
    If the duct work is designed right, just about any modern air handler will be quiet.

I have a 14SEER Trane with a variable speed blower in my basement. My basement is VERY quiet.

If I am standing right next to the air handler, I can hear it. If I am anywhere else in the basement and listen very carefully, I can hear it.

Upstairs, I put a streamer on one of the registers so that I could tell when the blower was on. Even with everything else in the house off, it is impossible to hear.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
    If the duct work is designed right, just about any modern air handler will be quiet.

I have a 14SEER Trane with a variable speed blower in my basement. My basement is VERY quiet.

If I am standing right next to the air handler, I can hear it. If I am anywhere else in the basement and listen very carefully, I can hear it.

Upstairs, I put a streamer on one of the registers so that I could tell when the blower was on. Even with everything else in the house off, it is impossible to hear.
    Don't you cool 4000 sq. ft. with 2 tons?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Don't you cool 4000 sq. ft. with 2 tons?
    yes, and VERY proud of it <GRIN>!!

Post Likes

I thinkin' the ducts suck

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    A lot of the noise could be from the ductwork... have it checked out before you replace to ensure proper sizing and ample supply and return.
    I've had 2 ppl to tell me that, in similar words. Hodgepodge of weird angles. The only part that would be saved is the trunk of the ducts.

Thanx once again Mr HVAC Installer from 1993 w/the kinky hair that kept getting calls from his girlfriend.

Post Likes
    Have you been b!tch!ng over this system for 15 years? Man, you need to get a hobby or something.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in