Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by intellitech View Post
    I may not be the most experienced refrigeration tech in existence....but can tell you this.....I work for a company that is a Manitowoc Factory Service Representative. Some say Hoshizaki's are the best....based on my experience I cannot possibly agree with that. A properly maintained Manitowoc is easy to service, offers the best technical support staff for field techs who need assistance (their service handbooks are thorough and contain everything one needs to know) and simple in design.

After all, Manitowoc has around 45% of the market share for commercial ice machines....and that figure came from one of Manitowoc's Regional Service Managers.
    Conisder yourself lucky then.......that's hasd not benn my experience...quite the contrary.......

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Here you go. We did 3 service calls(all after hours) on this ice machine. Everytime, we told manager it needed to be cleaned badly to work properly. After the 3rd trip and a lot of wasted money, he finally agreed to let us clean it.

I cleaned it Friday. It took about 6 hours. Now its working great. And we will be starting his new monthly service contract in Oct.

Before:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/102_1193.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/102_1208.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/102_1211.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/102_1195.jpg

After:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/102_1219.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/102_1222.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/102_1223.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/102_1234.jpg

Proof is in the Puddin
    Chances are this is a bakery concept of somekind...you have an airbourne yeast problem....I recommend an AUCS system with a bottle of sanitizer to kill the mold spores since ice machine cleaner will not kill or clean the unit correctly. Nice job on cleaning....if it ain't clean...you can't fix it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baub View Post
    1) Hoshizaki or Manitowac would be my choice. Stay away from Ice-o-matic, Scotsman and any oddball brand. If you have the space, try to install a free standing unit on a bin. Much easier to clean and service. Something like this, http://www.hoshizakiamerica.com/mach...temClass=Cuber

2) You will get some instructions in the installation and service manual that comes with the machine. Make sure your install guy leaves it with you. The best way is to get a good ice machine tech to show you how to take everything apart, clean it and re-assemble it. This might take 3+ hours, depending upon how dirty the machine is, and how many questions you ask. Use a digital camera to document the procedure... since you may only clean your machine every 3-6 months, the memory will fade.

3) Ask around the restaurant community for someone they are happy with. If you find a tech you like, request him, if possible. To get that to happen, don't whine and ***** about business, your equipment, and how much service costs. Be pleasant, maybe offer a coffee or a soft drink. Most important, pay the bill according to the terms.

Addendum- If a tech says he "thinks "the compressor is bad", RUN AWAY! It is, or it isn't, and he should know. If a company exclusively services Ice-O-Matic, keep running.

Good luck, you are in a tough business.
    Iceomatic are terrific people to deal with and admit they make mistakes and try to make it right. I would put a single evap Icematic up against any other brands nowadays. Manitowocs undercounter machine is a piece of garbage and so is the rest of their models....have gone down hill way too fast. The best machine on the market today is a Hoshi, period. Iceomatic has learned some lessons....buy and install (good luck on that) a CVD and see how long it takes to lose a customer. I do however, agree with the rest of your comments...you obviously know your business.

I no longer order ice in my drinks

isnt it amazing the creatures we find creating small communities in thes sumps hoses etc... I have worked on them all and I dont like ice o matic at all. you cant service without pulling the bin out really dumb.. the hoshis seem really nice .. I dont have to work on them very often and the tech support is fantastic, they can talk you through any problem....... I found it strange your tech "thought " it was your compressor that was blown.... these machines are some of the most difficult pieces in the restaurant world to work on but a compressor gone is a compressor gone.... good luck next cuber i need cleaned Ill give you a call..... good work. cheers
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take...

Quote Originally Posted by deejer28 View Post
    isnt it amazing the creatures we find creating small communities in thes sumps hoses etc... I have worked on them all and I dont like ice o matic at all. you cant service without pulling the bin out really dumb.. the hoshis seem really nice .. I dont have to work on them very often and the tech support is fantastic, they can talk you through any problem....... I found it strange your tech "thought " it was your compressor that was blown.... these machines are some of the most difficult pieces in the restaurant world to work on but a compressor gone is a compressor gone.... good luck next cuber i need cleaned Ill give you a call..... good work. cheers
    Yes, the Iceomatic is a dumb design for the bin removal....yes, Yuck! on water sumps.........the Hoshi and Manitowoc are a much better design in that respect

I'm just curious guys, why is it that nobody likes a Scotsman? We sell and lease ice machines and it's probably an even split between Manitowoc and Scotsman with the occasional Hoshi or Ice-O-matic. Of course, there are problems with all of them, but if properly maintained, they are all pretty good machines. I would even venture to say that if anything, I have seen a few more problems with the newer Manitowocs than any other brand.

Quote Originally Posted by deejer28 View Post
    DID YOU SAY CRAP-O-MATIC?

Scotsman...

I guess we are realy lucky. We have 8 Scotsman machines at our property and they just keep going. We had solenoids fail on 3 of 5 CM250 machines within 2 weeks of one another but, other than that, nothing. Just gotta keep them spic and span. That is the biggest thing to keep any machine running.

Finally a topic I can comment on, since I am just a rookie in the hvac area...But most of my short experience was working for a commercial food service repair company...So I have actually done cleaning on hoshi's..and that green/black stuff that you find in ice machines is totally gross!!! I cringe every time I get ice in a restaurant. Even after cleaning them some of the stuff still shows on the tubing and plastics and will not come off. I feel sorry for the ppl in the nursing homes and hospitals that have no choice but to consume this stuff constantly.

We see a lot of machines that are only cleaned when they break.
    What do you guys do when you need to clean a black slime covered unit, the bin is 3/4 full of ice, they are too busy and have no place to put the ice. I hate to just put trash bags over the ice because I feel like it still gets goop on it. I don't do ice machines that much.

To do a proper cleaning, you must remove all of the ice from the bin. We even go as far as installing a faucet (usually a boiler drain valve) in a nearby hot water line if there is no hot water tap nearby. You cant clean without hot water. The bin and ice head must be sanitized after cleaning also.

Thanks

Thanks, I knew it seemed wrong not to remove the ice. Beware getting a drink with ice around here. I doubt many of the little crap restaurants or liquor stores pay or take the time. There is definitely an opportunity for some professionalism in the wild wild West. Although we can find a little training by vendors, actual procedures that must be followed or how to tell the restaurant owner are not communicated in anyway.
    How do you deal with an ice machine on top of soda dispensers in a busy convenience store?

I have gone as far as to relace the nasty stained plastic parts. They are fairly inexpensive. The machine now looks as clean as it really is. Saves a lot of headache when the custome asks why the hoses still looks nasty after you have cleaned it.
    B-

Anything is possible with God

Fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency - F. Leghorn

Ain't I a stinker - B. Bunny

\m/ (>.<) \m/ ROCK HARD!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast