Confused Replacement Unit

I currently have a packaged unit (gas/elec) that needs replacing. The current unit is a Heil and is about ten years old. I would like to replace this unit with a 14 or 15 Seer unit, I live in Alabama and it gets plenty hot here. Who's makes the best unit for this type installation?

Thanks,
    Phil

No one.
    Most of them have about the same features.

I'd be more concerned about the installer then the brand.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thats too bad you have to have that thing changed out after just ten years, I just replaced a six year old tempstar (heil) package unit last night with a Goodman.

Although I am a little down on that brand at the moment, Beenthere is right, most brands are pretty much the same but it all boils down to a proper install and proper maintenance.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Pricey,but Carrier has some two stage unit,even Infinity Control.

Depending on gas and electric cost,might want to consider a heat pump.

Installer

Why be concerned with installer? A packaged unit comes already setup from the factory. It just needs elec hookup, thermostat hookup and duct work attached.

Replacement unit

I am not sure of the age of my Heil unit the model number is NRGF36DDB03. The unit is still working but I fiquered that a new higher efficiency unit would pay for itself. As hot as its been my elec bill last month was almost 600.00

Quote Originally Posted by PHILIPHD View Post
    Why be concerned with installer? A packaged unit comes already setup from the factory. It just needs elec hookup, thermostat hookup and duct work attached.
    Famous last words....

Seen plenty of them sucking in oudoor air because the installer didn't seal it right.
    Also seen them cooling the outside for the same reason.

A good contracto will check the duct work, Check to see what the right size is for your house. Give you options for repairing/correcting thigs that may not be correct.

A VS blower on a badly under sized duct system can make a lot of noise.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

According to my calcs, if that sucker ran 24 hours a day for every day of the month at 10 cents per kwh, the juice bill would be $259.

A 14 SEER running non stop the entire month at that rate would be $187.

But since you are probably running 1/3 of the time, not 100% of the time, your A/C is probably far from responsible for the $600 a month electric bill.

You better investigate further before you blame a 10 year old unit and think it would be worth replacing it.

Quote Originally Posted by PHILIPHD View Post
    My granparents got raked over the coals a few years back, they had a ground mounted package unit replaced with a new unit.

The installer did not use a new transition to match the unit up to their existing duct, he duct taped a piece of sheet metal to the opening and shoved the unit up to it. He did not install a splitter to keep the return and supply air seperated. He broke the slab that the unit sits on, and the front of the unit hangs over the slab by about 8 inches, and the gas flex line is stretched to its maximum and installed with galvanized pipe with no drip leg.

On top of all that, he came back to repair it once and left most of the panels loose. When I was up there last year, it was not cooling well. I opened it up and the evap coil was plugged solid with weeds.

I live 9 hours away and did not have the time to clean it but I did find them a reputable company to come out and throughly clean it and reinstall the unit.

So you ask, why be concerned about the installer, this is why!

If your unit is on the ground or roof, you will either want a new stand or a new slab poured to accomodate the new size of unit, you will also want a transition to mate the unit to the existing ductwork, new gas supply, new disconnect, new sealtite, etc. Youy also need to have all of your ductwork checked to make sure it is o.k. you also need to have a manual j done to see exactly what size unit you really need.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    According to my calcs, if that sucker ran 24 hours a day for every day of the month at 10 cents per kwh, the juice bill would be $259.

A 14 SEER running non stop the entire month at that rate would be $187.

But since you are probably running 1/3 of the time, not 100% of the time, your A/C is probably far from responsible for the $600 a month electric bill.

You better investigate further before you blame a 10 year old unit and think it would be worth replacing it.
    Maybe have an element stuck/coming on with the cool.

Installation is important. Choose wisely. You may want to stick with an ICP product for ease of duct alignment.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    Maybe have an element stuck/coming on with the cool.

Installation is important. Choose wisely. You may want to stick with an ICP product for ease of duct alignment.
    He has a gas pack.

ICP does offer a dual fuel package unit, might want to investigate that option.