Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC central air

Almost silent at the lower demand. Maytag, Fridgidaire,Tappan,Westinghouse are all brands manufactured by Nordyne. 23 SEER and very quiet operation. In the mid 50 DB ratings at nominal capacity. Quieter at lower steps. Like Beenthere said, they are not for everyone. Cost could be a factor in your decision . It is a total comfort system that has no rivals at this time in my opinion.
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Quote Originally Posted by TMH58 View Post
    Almost silent at the lower demand. Maytag, Fridgidaire,Tappan,Westinghouse are all brands manufactured by Nordyne. 23 SEER and very quiet operation. In the mid 50 DB ratings at nominal capacity. Quieter at lower steps. Like Beenthere said, they are not for everyone. Cost could be a factor in your decision . It is a total comfort system that has no rivals at this time in my opinion.
    Thanks, I'll look into those!
    By "at nominal capacity", you mean when they're running at high speed? That is very quiet!
    I asked a local contractor about the inverter technology in the central AC's they sell - Everest by Goodman Amana and Trane - he said the fan slows way down for dehumidifying but the compressor just has 2 speeds. Do some of them have more than 2 compressor speeds and does this help with dehumidifying? He said the compressor runs with AC power.
    I'd think it would help with noise level, if the compressor can run at very low power?
    Running it for dehumidifying, I might be running the AC at night and thus it's very important that it be quiet. At least one of my neighbors doesn't have AC and they're probably sleeping with windows open. I don't want to tick off the neighbors and a 75 dBA thing running at 2 AM might do that
    Is it possible, if you're running it to dehumidify, to set it to run slowly without paying attention to temperature? That might be needed overnight. I don't mind if it's chilly in the morning. I suppose with the proper control you can do that. I know it probably doesn't run below a certain temp.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by plarian View Post
    What brands have inverter AC's?
    Yes, an inverter sounds like what that person I quoted was talking about.
    Is it a lot quieter running in dehumidification mode? If so maybe that is the quiet whole house dehumidifier I'm looking for!

Laura
    Laura, this is the statement you said was made that prompted your inquiry;

Here is the comment (not from this site), which I was wondering about:
    When an AC runs it cools and dehumidifys, VSDC motors that can be set at very low speed dehumidify 50% more than regular AC with AC motors
    at the lowest speed, Carrier , Bryant and maybe Lennox offer this option I bet only a few offer the real low speed and watt option of Direct Current motors and controls. Im talking about blowers that can run using only near 90-100 watts for real low speed, vs the near-400 watts that are standard on Alternating Current motors. These units do remove 50% more moisture at very low speed.
    This does not sound like someone referring to inverter technology but rather a reference to a variable speed indoor blower using dehumidification controls. Let's try to stick to what you were looking for originally or let us know that we are going in a completely different direction. Variable speed blowers set up for dehumidification are relatively common and available through all manufacturers brands. Inverter technology is not so common yet and is available only through certain brands as mentioned. The brands you quoted as being what you were originally told are not brands that are yet manufacturing equipment with inverter technology.

Just who was it that made the above quoted comment and from what type of site were they posting on? Do not post a link to the site, that is not allowed here, but let us know where you got this information from so we know if we are dealing with comments made by a professional of by another consumer seeking information.

Currenty, only units made by Nordyne have the inverter compressors.

What you seem to be talking a bout, is a VS blower air handler.
    The compressor is still a regular alternating current compressor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Currenty, only units made by Nordyne have the inverter compressors.

What you seem to be talking a bout, is a VS blower air handler.
    The compressor is still a regular alternating current compressor.
    Is an inverter compressor better for taking out humidity?
    I suppose it would also be very energy efficient?
    I'm willing to spend more for something that I (and my neighbors) will be satisfied with, altho there's limits to that. I would like it really optimal for removing humidity, so that I don't have to use the portable dehumidifiers any more than I have to.
    I guess an inverter compressor would be great for being silent, because the compressor is a lot of the noise. Maybe what I'd want, for something that might be working overnight to remove humidity.
    So, I suppose you can get a control that will just run it very slowly, ignoring temperature, for dehumidifying? That is probably what I'd want for dehumidifying overnight.
    I have a local contractor coming tomorrow to look at the situation. Rather miserable because I'm sick with allergies and trying to be coherent anyway. They know a lot just about one or two brands that they specialize in, so it helps to get a broader perspective here.
    I was asking questions on alt.hvac, that was where the comment about VSDC motors taking out more humidity came from.
    Laura

Bear with me because I too am very sick with a summer cold (nasty one).

What ever you do, do not try to convince a contractor who is not familiar with a brand to use that brand. If you have a specific brand in mind, find a contractor who is familiar with that brand.

I don't know enough about inverter compressor technology to be able to discuss it's values vs it's possible detriments. We all thought the rotary compressor, like the rotary engine, was going to save us. For use in small systems, the rotary is a great little compressor. It failed miserably when used in larger systems. We just don't have a long enough track record for inverter technology to know what bugs may be in the future.

However; if humidity control is what you are looking for, your best bet would be to have a properly sized (slightly undersized if your needs are borderline) system installed with a variable speed indoor blower utilizing the smalles rated indoor coil. That, along with a few humidity controls and proper set up will do you the best for dehumidification.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Currently, only contractors that have gone to teh training for the IQ drives can install them.

You might want to get a price on one, and see what teh dealer can tell you about how well it will handle the humidity.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    We just don't have a long enough track record for inverter technology to know what bugs may be in the future.
    How long has it been around?
    However; if humidity control is what you are looking for, your best bet would be to have a properly sized (slightly undersized if your needs are borderline) system installed with a variable speed indoor blower utilizing the smalles rated indoor coil. That, along with a few humidity controls and proper set up will do you the best for dehumidification.
    How would one get the quietest possible such system? Since I would probably be running it overnight?
    There's a Lennox XC-15 that's 63 dBA, but the smallest one is 2 tons. I probably need less. Their smaller AC's are louder than that.
    How can you get it to dehumidify overnight? What I'm wondering is, say you have a system running; set to 78F during the day (and dry). Then at night you set it to 72F. It cools down to 72F. Then it dehumidifies by running slowly until the temp is at 70F. Then it stops, because it's 2 degrees below the temperature setpoint. As the cool night goes on, the house gets humid.
    Can this be avoided with the right controls?
    Thanks
    Laura

With the right controls teh right sized A/C can do what you want.

You should call some contractors and get prices from them. And see what they can do for you. And to find out what is within your buget.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    With the right controls teh right sized A/C can do what you want.

You should call some contractors and get prices from them. And see what they can do for you. And to find out what is within your buget.
    I've been doing that. The one I talked to seems pretty well versed in many ways but didn't know things about different controls. It's a small town.
    Laura

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12