Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile

Thanks for the clarification Dash. It is hard to find information, but I try, and the board here is most valuable in that respect.

The th8000 seems to work fine (you can hammer a nail with a wrench also), it just it does not crontrol the variable speed like the IAQ model will... the IAQ will overcool if >5% hum difference from setpoint and if within 5% it will run 80% speed to cool, and then go full speed if needed to maintain temperature. I'm sure it has all kinds of algorithms for hysteresis, trending, timers, safety's, blah blah... but thats the short of it from what I understand.

It has to be connected to the speed controller of the air handler (like obxtech says) whereas the th8000 just snaps on the wall... badda-bing.. onto next customer.

Come to think of it my dad does have the infinity controllers because he hates changing the $40+ filters he uses.. but he spent more on his A/C systems than I did on my last new car, er... last 3 new cars combined (thats 2 passats and one audi). And, the guy he used to install them is now retired... at 45. So I'm hesitant to go full throttle...

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by skankpile View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Dash. It is hard to find information, but I try, and the board here is most valuable in that respect.

The th8000 seems to work fine (you can hammer a nail with a wrench also), it just it does not crontrol the variable speed like the IAQ model will... the IAQ will overcool if >5% hum difference from setpoint and if within 5% it will run 80% speed to cool, and then go full speed if needed to maintain temperature. I'm sure it has all kinds of algorithms for hysteresis, trending, timers, safety's, blah blah... but thats the short of it from what I understand.

It has to be connected to the speed controller of the air handler (like obxtech says) whereas the th8000 just snaps on the wall... badda-bing.. onto next customer.

Come to think of it my dad does have the infinity controllers because he hates changing the $40+ filters he uses.. but he spent more on his A/C systems than I did on my last new car, er... last 3 new cars combined (thats 2 passats and one audi). And, the guy he used to install them is now retired... at 45. So I'm hesitant to go full throttle...
    I think the Thermidistat would do better,requires proper set-up.

Changing filters doesn't equate to Infinity control,unless it's calling for a change too often,due to a very undersized duct system,change mine about once a year,well worth the money.
    Last edited by dash; 07-31-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Honeywell does make a VisionPro 8000 touchscreen thermostat which does dehumidification. It also gives you the option of connecting the outdoor sensor you were mentioning. I have used these before on standard Carrier heat pumps which do have variable speed blowers with no problems.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chesapeake View Post
    Honeywell does make a VisionPro 8000 touchscreen thermostat which does dehumidification. It also gives you the option of connecting the outdoor sensor you were mentioning. I have used these before on standard Carrier heat pumps which do have variable speed blowers with no problems.

ya but the 8000 does not slow the blower down, it (over)cools to dehumidify

thats why he should have the IAQ or similar which (will) slow the blower down!

well the carrier edge, does seem to have an advantage:

1) two wires, so the tech can install it with current setup and not pull wires when he puts the base near the air handler
    2) handles the variable speed fan which I want
    3) has external thermostat like the honeywell

Basically the edge does everything I want. I'll inquire tomorrow what that change would entail, and if its compatible.

Now, I have a TP-PRH on order to be installed sometime... progress.

Thanks for the advice guys..

well got the edge, now the heat pump shuts off on 80%fan and the fan is never turning off.. so on low stage the fan is running and the compressor is turning off.

What is wrong with this thing... The carrier guys are saying they dont want to use it now... geez. Something must be wrong in the wiring...

I'm getting really tired of this fiasco... tech came back out and spent 2 hours fiddling with it.. he will send another tech by tomorrow...

its configured like p.68 of the installation guide:
    install guide
    any advice?

figured it out.

(to access options, hold down fan button for 10 sec)
    1) the edge defaults to 2 stage, so per option 1 set it to HP for 1 stage heat pump
    2) remove jumper J1 on handler bread board
    2) option 19, must set it to '2' to enable the HD via relay mode (dry contact)
    3) option 33 set unit to 2 piece to better calculate temp when splitting unit

still wired per p.68 of instruction manual, but edge has some special programming you must customize before unit will function properly...

Probably configured wrong. Sounds like the Tech is not familiar with what he is working on also. Personally i prefer the old Thermidistat and thats what I use. But the edge does look nice.

well.. now that its working its really great. But I would not put one in my grandmothers house... they will never figure it out.. along with the telephone, tv remote, and 3 button garage door opener.

Its a great unit, plenty of easily programmable options once you get the hang of it, but you have to be the type that will enjoy learning new gizmos. Once its set correctly you can use it just like any standard and adjust the hold, and it has big numbers so its a no brainer... er semi-brainer.

No relay click either

I like my clicking noise! if I don't hear it I think somethings wrong

You can still have your clicking noise. Just install as a single piece instead of two pieces. You may have to run a bunch of wires to it, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12