can I use a Thermidistat with my unit?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

can I use a Thermidistat with my unit?

Hey,

First post..

I've got a carrier FV4BNF005 air handler which says its variable speed and the docs say you can use it with a Thermidistat. I've paired this with a 24HCA448A003 4 ton HP. Can I use a Thermidistat, or do you need a variable compressor as well?

Right now, I've just got a honeywell thermostat as the controller, and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on someting.

http://www.commercial.carrier.com/co...PRD686,00.html
    http://www.commercial.carrier.com/wc...RD1291,00.html

yes you can use the Thermidistat, you would get the added benefit of being able to set dehumidification which is why I like mine along with other benefits like aux heat lockout setting, and more...I own an old farm house. next to no insulation, single pane windows, drafty inefficient money sucking hog! I am able to leave cooling set at 77 deg. and dehumidification set at 50% and be very comfortable set at 75 deg. everyone complains its to cold, except me I like it Ice cold after a hot day of a/c repairs . I have the Carrier FV4DNF006 with a 38YDB048 2 speed Puron 4 ton.

Right, but my 4 ton compressor unit is single speed; so my outdoor unit would always run full speed and I get the added benefit of humidity controll yes?

Quote Originally Posted by skankpile View Post
    Right, but my 4 ton compressor unit is single speed; so my outdoor unit would always run full speed and I get the added benefit of humidity controll yes?
    Yes you do.

sweet.. the tech is coming out to put one in today, and fix a water leak.

Funny thing is people talk about the carrier comfort series as loud, but I barely hear the unit and its next to my master window. I dont know if the two speed unit would have provided me that much extra value if I can use the variable speed blower... seems win-win, and a faster payback. Only time will tell.

Make sure he wire it up for DH also needs wired at air handler board. It comes with outdoor temp sensor also this is important so make sure he installs it also good luck I am sure you will love it.

lots of advice, thanks

Now, I dont know what DH is, and I guess I'll know the outside temp is hooked up as there will likely be a display somewhere. How can I easily check its done as you say?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    DH is Dehumidification.

Thermidistat can be setup to "over-cool " by 3 degree below set point,if the humidity is higher then the set humidity level.

Two stage would be even better to DH,but even single stage it's a vast improvement, in a humid cooling climate.

Now I'm kinda upset. They put a Honeywell TH8000 that will not controll my variable speed handler, and I am reading they should have put in a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ, and wired it to the handler, and put in an external temperature probe like you say.

They basically came in and put in something that overcools for humidity and does not utilize the variable speed air handler... guess it will be another trek for the tech. My dad also has the same honeywell th8000's on his 3 infinity systems... go figure...

Am I wrong in upgading to the IAQ, or correct unit. Should I be happy with the overcooling controller setup with my system?

Now I'm kinda upset. They put a Honeywell TH8000 that will not controll my variable speed handler, and I am reading they should have put in a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ, and wired it to the handler, and put in an external temperature probe like you say.

They basically came in and put in something that overcools for humidity and does not utilize the variable speed air handler... guess it will be another trek for the tech. My dad also has the same honeywell th8000's on his 3 infinity systems... go figure...

Am I wrong in upgading to the IAQ, or correct unit. Should I be happy with the overcooling controller setup with my system?
    Wow ,he has an almost Ifinity,hope he got a discount.

Many aviod the Infinity control,so the customer won't find the high static of the undersized duct system.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Wow ,he has an almost Ifinity,hope he got a discount.

Many aviod the Infinity control,so the customer won't find the high static of the undersized duct system.
    I'm unsure of the advise here... should I just think to myself. Oh well I have a variable speed handler, but I should not use it as nobody really uses these things anyway, but they are a great marketing ploy.

Or, should I get it working to its full potential... I ask here because I will be asking people who are in "the know" and:

1) you cant count on any good documentation from carrier, or get any good advise on how it should work, but just promises of dual speed, high seer, and the wonderful new 410a

2) the general tech cares more about getting in as many calls per day, and patching what he can to get to the next paycheck.

So if I have as good as it gets with what I have, then I am satisfied, but if not.. I'd like to know, and it seems I've got the wrong thermostat to utilize my equipment...

I'm not trying to impress, upset, or entertain anybody.. I am just reaching out as I've run out of options, and good advice locally...

I'm unsure of the advise here... should I just think to myself. Oh well I have a variable speed handler, but I should not use it as nobody really uses these things anyway, but they are a great marketing ploy.

REPLY----Should have and pay for what will optimize the system

Or, should I get it working to its full potential... I ask here because I will be asking people who are in "the know" and:

1) you cant count on any good documentation from carrier, or get any good advise on how it should work, but just promises of dual speed, high seer, and the wonderful new 410a

REPLY----Check their literature and website,any Honeywell stats?Sorry coldn't resist.
    ,maybe they should state it more clearly.

2) the general tech cares more about getting in as many calls per day, and patching what he can to get to the next paycheck.

Reply---Then you haven't found the right company,those you describe don't work long with our team.

So if I have as good as it gets with what I have, then I am satisfied, but if not.. I'd like to know, and it seems I've got the wrong thermostat to utilize my equipment...

REPLY---Can't address the Honeywell stats ,we install Carrier

I'm not trying to impress, upset, or entertain anybody..

REPLY---Ditto!

I am just reaching out as I've run out of options, and good advice locally...
    See above

Ask for the "Edge" "I think the part # is TP-PRH. it is the newest and is much easier to read then the old Thermidistat.

Both of these will slow the fan speed down 20% which is what gives you the extra dehumidification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast