Thread: AC Not Working

AC Not Working

I have a 3 unit Rheem heat pump system for our house we moved into in December of 2006. One unit services the main floor of the house, which is about 2500 sf. I noticed the air stopped working - heat pump, circulating fan all ran, but it did not cool. I called the people who installed it, and they billed me for essentially shutting everything down and restarting it, and admitted they did not know what the problem was.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Call another company....I would have it diagnosed in less than 20 minutes. They are a bunch of morons
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Call another company....I would have it diagnosed in less than 20 minutes. They are a bunch of morons
    ROLMAO.....yea that company sucks

I'll call another tomorrow... For tonight, is it a bad idea to cut the power on the unit and turn it back on after a few minutes, which I know will "fix" the problem temporarily?

When the unit "stops" working....so you loose airflow as well? Meaning......does the air coming out of your registers seem to lessen??

No, the air keeps on trucking along, but it is no longer cool. This first happened late last week, which is when I had the infamous service call. Then, yesterday it happened again. I got gutsy and hit the "boot" button on my Honeywell 4 Zone board, and it did nothing. With sweat dripping from my, you know, I said "what have I got to lose", and I shut the power off at the breaker. (I cut back any calls for the system prior to doing that). I waited a few minutes, turned it back on, and presto, cold air again! It's a helluva way to stay cool, I know.

Yeah, call another company...make sure that when you talk to them they are aware that your system is zoned and what kind it is so that they can get the right guy out there for you. You should be ok to shut it down and "reboot" it again.

You may want to call another company.

BUT. Keep in mind, that if the company you call is not a dealer for the brand unit, and or zone panel you have. They are NOT under any obligation to honor any part warranty.

I would recomend calling the same company back first, and give them another chance. And telling them it is not fixed yet, and you paid a bill, and they did not fix it. And you would like a more experienced tech.
    Be polite.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You may want to call another company.

BUT. Keep in mind, that if the company you call is not a dealer for the brand unit, and or zone panel you have. They are NOT under any obligation to honor any part warranty.

I would recomend calling the same company back first, and give them another chance. And telling them it is not fixed yet, and you paid a bill, and they did not fix it. And you would like a more experienced tech.
    Be polite.
    I agree.