New residential install

Hello all- I'm a homeowner and have had central air in my previous two homes. I moved last fall to a house with no A/C. We had an installation done this month, Carrier Performance series. My previous two homes had, probably 2.5 or 3 ton systems. Each home had two returns. This new install is a 4 ton system (2050 sq ft living space) but I'm surprised that they only put 1 return. It is all flexduct, that they used- an attic installation. The return duct is an 18 inch round flex duct, which feeds to a filter grill 24x30 inches. Does this sound right to you guys in the industry? is this okay? It is like a wind tunnel when you go down the corridor by the return. My instinct tells me that one return may not be enough, considering that my other two homes had two. Each one had one large return and 1 smaller one.

When I use the generic friction rate of .05 for 18inch flexiduct I'm getting less than 1000 cfm which is well below the recommended 400cfm per ton. The sound your return is making is your system yelling "help me, send somebody that understands duct design!"

Adding returns in bedrooms is always a good idea, and code around here for new construction, and will quiet that noise down alot. It may be sized for that system, as far as what it needs, I doubt it, but I know we'd add return.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Return is low... 5 sq. ft. for 4 tons. More return should be added for a 4-ton system. Is there any open area (preferably on other side of home) where one can be added? What's the static pressure of the system (ask for it to be tested)?

You're asking questions through the open door of the barn the escaped horse used to get out. Sounds to me like you didn't do your homework before having the installation done. Read the attached and see if you did it right or not. If yes, then ask for the calcs. If no, well.....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    You're asking questions through the open door of the barn the escaped horse used to get out. Sounds to me like you didn't do your homework before having the installation done. Read the attached and see if you did it right or not. If yes, then ask for the calcs. If no, well.....

you are correct- I didn't do my homework and I do regret it. I wish I'd seen that document before.

Quote Originally Posted by stevef67 View Post
    This new install is a 4 ton system (2050 sq ft living space)
    Wow. how old is this home?? To me, that seems like a LOT of A/C for a home in the norther part of the states...

I missed the part where he said its making noise.
    I've been in the return chaise of 120 ton units, its like a wind tunel, but not loud.

A 3' x 8' hall way with 1600 CFM moving through it, have a FPM velocity of 67.

Request your contractor to install returns in each of the bedrooms.
    It was not included in the original price, so he will want extra to do it. Which he should get.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I've been in the return chaise of 120 ton units, its like a wind tunel, but not loud.
    And you didn't get sucked in?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    And you didn't get sucked in?
    BIG chaise.

And a protective barrier to prevent from going onto the blowers.

Some times being over weight has advantages
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    Wow. how old is this home?? To me, that seems like a LOT of A/C for a home in the norther part of the states...
    first he said I'd need a 5 ton system but I objected to that and I told him he measured wrong. the home was built 40 years ago and is not well insulated. We do have very humid weather in the summertime, for what that's worth. It seems okay, although 3.5 tons may have been enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Return is low... 5 sq. ft. for 4 tons. More return should be added for a 4-ton system. Is there any open area (preferably on other side of home) where one can be added? What's the static pressure of the system (ask for it to be tested)?
    I was wondering about static pressure. It is rated at .5 according to Carrier. If the flow is restricted and it is above .5, what does that mean? does that mean the blower motor would be working harder? especially if I close some dampers off, does that make it even worse?