Thread: Home A/C Contractor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Home A/C Contractor

I have been lurking around these pages for a couple of weeks trying to learn as much as possible. Currently, I have a 3 ton and 3.5 ton Heat Pump system that are 18 years old. My house is in very hot Houston. It is 3500sq ft total, with 450sq ft of that area upstairs surrounded by attic space on 4 sides. (Estimates show the load rating on the room alone to be 2 tons.) Humidity in the house is always a problem. It will never drop below 55%, and at times goes above 60%.

After doing my research, I have decided to go with two Bryant Evolution systems, each zoned for 2 zones. (Main living area/Spare room upstairs. Kids bedrooms/Master bedroom suite.)

The site has already helped me weed out several contractors. I have had estimates from 5 different companies and am trying to decide between the final 2. I was leaning toward one in particular until they answered a couple of questions today.

1. On the Sales Agreement, I am assuming the “Zone Systems” are the Bryant Evolution Zoning Control. Is that correct?

Answer - All Zoning systems work the same, I was going to use Duro-Zone.

2. Will you be performing a Manual J and Manual D once we agree to move forward?

Answer - Manual J and manual D are normally used in new construction or when adding living space to an existing building, to determine load and airflow requirements when installing a new system. They are not normally used in retro-fit situations. Since you will have a two stage compressor and variable speed furnace, you will have capacity load and airflow from two tons to four tons, or 800 cfm to 1600 cfm and 24000 btu to 48000 btu. We know we are not under sized, so a load calc is not really needed.

So know I’m not sure how to take this.

(1) Should I expect the Evolution System to have the Evolution Zoning Control? Is what he says accurate, “All Zoning systems work the same…”? Does the Evolution Zoning Control integrate more effectively?

(2) I have read repeatedly here that a Manual J is necessary. What he says seems plausible. But should the Manual J be done without question?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by AndrewR69; 07-29-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in