Thread: New system questions

Post Likes

New system questions

Hi All,

I am getting a new system installed in my home and I have a few questions before I sign the contract:

1. I plan on staying in my home another 2 years, so I opted for the Lennox XC-13 at 14.5 SEER over the XC-15 16 SEER. There was a difference of XXXX between the systems and figured I wouldn't be in the house long enough to re-coup the 'savings'. Does anyone disagree with this decision?
    2. In terms of cooling, is there really a difference between the 2 systems or is the air handler the real powerhouse of the install. With both systems, the air handler is the same: Lennox CBX32MV -- this is their top air handler, but am I not taking advantage of all it has to offer if I don't go for the XC-15?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jrexi
    Last edited by Jrexi; 07-29-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Edited out Price as per rules.

Post Likes
    Please edit out prices per site rules. Sounds like a good combination. I do not thank you would see payback in 2 years. The XP15 is a very quiet unit. The CBX32MV is a great air handler. What is the tonnage of the system?

Post Likes
    The installation will make or brake the system.

You need a variable speed air handler to take advantage of a two stage condenser, but you don't need a high end condenser to enjoy the benefits of a variable speed air handler. (ECM)

Even with a single stage condenser, the ECM can lower energy consumption and improve dehumidification.

There was a difference of $Removed between the systems and figured I wouldn't be in the house long enough to re-coup the 'savings'. Does anyone disagree with this decision?
    Good decision. The "hot weather" performance/efficiency numbers of most 16+ SEER units aren't great anyway, from what I have seen. (From service manuals/spec sheets)
    Last edited by HeyBob; 07-29-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the quick reply guys...much appreciated!

jjer: the tonnage of the system is 3 and we are looking to cool roughly 1,300 square feet. I'm not too concerned about the quietness of the system as the condenser will be outside and not in any close proximity to an area of the house that we frequent.

Post Likes
    3 tons for 1300 sqft.? Was a load calculation done or just going by what was there? Oversized equipment tends to have a shorter lifespan and remove less humidity... Can't see your house from here and don't know your location, though.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    If insulation,windows,etc.,have been upgaded since the home was built,you could likely use a smaller system.

System are often oversized when the home is built,and duct systemed are undersized,so you could likely use a smaller system,that might work better with your duct system.

Have the Manual J load calc. done ,if possible.Have the static of the duct system checked before buying and approved by your contractor of choice.

Undersized ducts and a VS fan,will have issues and be noiesier then the old unit as the VS will move more air,faster.

Post Likes
    2 stage is for more for comfort. And between a 13 and 16 SEER, its only a few dollars less a month to operate. So there is no real monetary pay back in 2 or 5 years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    3 tons for 1300 sqft.? Was a load calculation done or just going by what was there? Oversized equipment tends to have a shorter lifespan and remove less humidity... Can't see your house from here and don't know your location, though.
    I could have the sqft wrong. They did a load calculation and I had 3 different quotes, each of which recommended the 3 ton.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in