Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog_Pond View Post
    Forgot to add that we will be installing a wood stove and hope to do a lot of the heating with that, provided I am still able to cut and split wood as time goes on.
    If your going to be using a wood stove that gets its combustion air from the occupied space. You'r going to need a humidifier.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

No pellet stoves for us, thanks. I haven't seen pellets around here for a long time, plus we have all the wood we want for free.

The wood stove will have outside combustion air.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog_Pond View Post
    No pellet stoves for us, thanks. I haven't seen pellets around here for a long time, plus we have all the wood we want for free.

The wood stove will have outside combustion air.
    Unless you find some way to confine that outside air to just the wood stove, you will still need the xxhumidifier.

Adding a fresh air vent next to a wood stove just turns the whole house into one large fresh air plenum for the wood stove.
    Last edited by paul42; 07-30-2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: shophound is right

I second and third any advisement against using building cavities for ducting purposes, supply or return, particularly return. Building cavities (stud chases, etc.) are seldom air tight, and are more trouble to make air tight than to provide properly sealed ducting.

For the wood stove, the outside air source should be specific to the stove, piped directly into the stove from outdoors. For Paul, perhaps you meant humidifier vs. dehumidifier in regard to the wood stove, as wood stoves generally do not operate during warm, humid weather.

Yes, the stove will have outside combustion air piped directly to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12