Thread: better

better

I am adding an additional 2 ton unit for the upstairs in my 77 year old 2000 sq ft home. The airhandler will be in the attic and I have gotten two quotes that were comperable and wanted to know what the better system would be:

1. American Standard 2 ton 13 SEER, 2.5 ton airhandler, 10 KW heat strip, additional runs of ducts as needed.

2. Trane 2 ton 13 SEER, 2.0 ton variable speed air handler, 5 KW heat strip, additional runs of ducts as needed.

The quotes were fairly close. Just wondering which would be better. Thanks for all info.

Guessing they are both heat pumps.

Did you ask the Trane guy why only 5 KW of heat.

I prefer VS blowers so I would go with the Trane, except, I would want the strip heat sized to do the whole second floor load, in case of emergency.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

better

The trane guy did a load calc and came up with only needind 6 KW heat for entire house. I will still have a gas furnace (not sure of size) for downstairs. He stated the 5kw would be plenty (because I brought up the point the other guy stated 10 was needed). Thanks

VS blowers are indeed nice, and someone willing to do a load calc is a start. Sounds like you're on the right track.

If you're still doubtful, here is some good stuff for you to reference...

ACCA Link

Contractor rating

Thanks for all the help