Thread: Can a rube like me clean the evaporator coils?

Post Likes

Can a rube like me clean the evaporator coils?

I have a Carrier FA4BNF048 that keeps icing up. I'm guessing (and please tell me if I'm off base) that this may be the result of something that happened a while ago:

I neglected to change the blue fiberglass filter (don't worry, I've switched to pleated paper since). The unit iced solid and when it thawed, it drenched the filter which disintegrated and got sucked up into the evaporator.

I took a grate of one of the returns and snaked the hose from my shop vac underneath, but then had to reach in though the little slot for the air filter to actually do the cleaning.

Is this something your layman should be able to do, or do I have to call in a professional?

Post Likes
    If your coil is icing up, better get it checked out and soon.

Post Likes

Doubt if you're gonna get much guidance on here

young grasshopper.

No pricing, no DIY, please read Site Rules Register

Post Likes
    If your using one of those 3m pleated filters that may be your whole problem. They restrict air even when clean.
    Its a good Life!

Post Likes
    I'll call a pro, but I'll have to clean my garage first!

Post Likes

Confused 3m filters bad?

Never heard that 3m filters restrict air flow right off the bat, true?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sanantoniotech View Post
    true
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    110% TRUE!!!

Post Likes
    many standard air handlers cannot handle the pressure drop across the pleated type filters, even with fan on high speed. They may be okay for the first week or so, but when filters start to get loaded airlfow drops off and presto. We have one building where the owner is willing to change filters monthly to keep the place clean by using pleated filters. Every unit is less than two years old, and is a standard carrier. If left for more than one month, I get calls about units freezing up. He is not willing to go to regular filters.

Post Likes
    Removed 2 today at seperate jobs.

Post Likes
    The 3M pleated filters are fine, if you're ductwork is designed for that level of drop. Which most aren't. I tell all customers not to use them, but if they insist, I tell them to change them weekly, or I'll be back soon, to tell them why the system has iced up. Again. 3M's are not good.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes

pleated filters

I tell a lot of my customers to go to the cheaper filters to improve ac performance. Some units just can't push through the thicker stuff!!!

Post Likes
    Tell them to use fiberglass filters and sprinkle furniture polish on them.

Post Likes
    What I found is when ever a system is iced up, there is something stoping air flow (blower, dirty coil IN or OD, dirty filter and sometimes you could be low of freon, which i found alot in this 2008 summer on most of my calls

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by justbud38134 View Post
    I tell a lot of my customers to go to the cheaper filters to improve ac performance. Some units just can't push through the thicker stuff!!!
    And then you can come back and clean that washable filter, THE EVAPORATOR COIL. Filtrete filters with about a million pleats and the 1'' washables are the only ones I have seen that are too restrictive. I would never recommend the 59 cent glass filters, they are a waste of 59 cents, might as well not put a filter in.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    And then you can come back and clean that washable filter, THE EVAPORATOR COIL. Filtrete filters with about a million pleats and the 1'' washables are the only ones I have seen that are too restrictive. I would never recommend the 59 cent glass filters, they are a waste of 59 cents, might as well not put a filter in.
    yep, the cheaper 1" pleated filters are ok, glass filters are to catch the cats as they crawl through the return duct.
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes

Talking Isn't cat fur BAD?

I know they aren't the best..but the blue ones kinda stop stuff dont they? Like cats and opossums?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in