Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why does Goodman get a bad rap?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jb00gz View Post
    i didnt bash goodman it is an alright brand im just saying most startup companies use it because the sole fact it is cheap. And some well established companies do use goodman but few because they dont have to there name speaks for it itself. As far as good as any other brand i wont vouch for that there okay and thats all im pushing for.
    i wouldn't say cheap. cost efficient, but not cheap there are plenty of cheaper systems out there than goodman

if you buy a house thats built then you get what it has. if your building a home and you are ignorant to what HVAC your getting then thats your own fault, isn't it?

all system and or units are OK, and thats all anyone can push for
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Refer-Madness View Post
    Exactly, and it has NOTHING to do with my profession. The last thing I want to do with my free time is FIX MY OWN A/C!!!
    lol i tinker on mine all the time lol its my lab rat

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Refer-Madness View Post
    Exactly, and it has NOTHING to do with my profession. The last thing I want to do with my free time is FIX MY OWN A/C!!!
    I rent so technically I don't have to fix it. However I do maintain it....electric bills are starting to creep up.

And when it does break....I usually call the real estate agent and tell them I fixed it already. Last year I went through a melt down with a hack of a service tech. The one who was supposedly the "best" the company had to offer. And I even decided to really test his qualifications on the callback he had to run. He failed miserably.

So now I just fx it myself and take it outta the rent.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    I have an Amana myself. 24 years old and still running strong. A little TLC goes a long way. Hell I still got my Mercury Tstat.
    Throw an IAQ on that setup.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    I rent so technically I don't have to fix it. However I do maintain it....electric bills are starting to creep up.

And when it does break....I usually call the real estate agent and tell them I fixed it already. Last year I went through a melt down with a hack of a service tech. The one who was supposedly the "best" the company had to offer. And I even decided to really test his qualifications on the callback he had to run. He failed miserably.

So now I just fx it myself and take it outta the rent.
    i rent to

and i have a VFD on my blower

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    i rent to

and i have a VFD on my blower
    Interesting. I also rent and have done extensive alterations to the old oil furnace in my home. Of course the guy who owns the property is aware of what I am doing and pays for the more extensive work that I do. Last year my efforts of installing the heat pump and using it instead of oil, I saved about $800 in energy cost.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Interesting. I also rent and have done extensive alterations to the old oil furnace in my home. Of course the guy who owns the property is aware of what I am doing and pays for the more extensive work that I do. Last year my efforts of installing the heat pump and using it instead of oil, I saved about $800 in energy cost.
    Brings back memories. I used to rent, a bunch of different places, I guess I was a serial renter. One place was the upstairs of an old townhouse, landlord used to live there and was happy to let me fix things and deduct it from the rent, as long as I included the receipt and didn't go hog wild.

One Winter day I woke up and it was cold, cold, cold. Took a look in the downstair's renters basement, furnace was a converted coal stove hooked to a water system (radiator heat). The burner was the copper feed pipe dangling into the coal stove, crimped over on the end with some holes in it. I traced it back to the oil tank, which was empty, called the owner and went to work. Oil truck came later that day and we had heat again. He had forgotten to pay the bill.

There wasn't a part of that system that didn't have a 1/2 inch gap in it, including the exhaust pipel

He and his wife had lived with the system for years and didn't mind the downstairs family living with it. It's a wonder no one died from CO poisoning. I felt fairly safe sealed off upstairs, with a window cracked to get rid of all the excess heat. Downstairs renter set the thermostat, heat was included in my rent and I was already month-to-month on the original lease rent.

Amazing what landlords get away with... and don't.

-HF

Post Likes
    Last edited by Refer-Madness; 08-01-2008 at 11:12 AM.

Post Likes
    Speaking of tinkering, I think I may have the only Goodman heatpump with demand defrost in the country. Shortly after the install in an addition in my house, I scavenged and old York defrost control and relay, along with a few spare temp sensors and refitted the Goodman. No more cold weather unneeded defrosts. Works like a champ.

paul
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes

It was a comment

government mandated efficiency ratings and general application needs, there really just isn't much difference in any of the comparably featured systems on the market.[/QUOTE]

No but in my book they seem to sure fail alot sooner and for the amount of units out there and that could be a scarry thing. As far as technology goes there are differences between companies. Have you seen Infinity stat, it has been out for 4 years now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    government mandated efficiency ratings and general application needs, there really just isn't much difference in any of the comparably featured systems on the market.

No but in my book they seem to sure fail alot sooner and for the amount of units out there and that could be a scarry thing. As far as technology goes there are differences between companies. Have you seen Infinity stat, it has been out for 4 years now.[/QUOTE]

They won't be convinced.

You are talking to people that picked the Goodman line and make their living off the brand. They believe the Goodman line is just as good as any of the premium lines. It doesn't matter what was done in the past because they are now different today. They believe the quality is better and the way they do business is better, so all the sins of the past should be overlooked and forgotten. Even the people that competed against side jobbers that had easy access to Goodman and lost jobs are now on the Goodman band wagon.

They only want to focus on the here and now plus the better quality product. I can understand why it's distasteful for them to do anything different.

But you and I can believe what we want even though we get a lot of underserved attitude.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tecman View Post
    Speaking of tinkering, I think I may have the only Goodman heatpump with demand defrost in the country. Shortly after the install in an addition in my house, I scavenged and old York defrost control and relay, along with a few spare temp sensors and refitted the Goodman. No more cold weather unneeded defrosts. Works like a champ.

paul
    Preferences of defrost boards come and go as we find out how well or not so well new designs work in real conditions. Funny you should mention York because the worst defrost control change out I've ever had to do was one of the first York's with demand defrost. The "new and improved" controls to replace the original board and relays was a time/temperature control that litereally required that York unit to be completely rewired.

Amana had the same style of Demand defrost control you put on that Goodman. The Amana board, which was also used in other brands with the same problematic results, was replaced with a time/temperature system.

Rheem/Rudd were other brands with demand defrost control problems. I can't count high enough to be able to say how many of those demand defrost controls I changed out as a contractor and worked with other contractors to change out when I was repping for Rheem/Ruud.

If demand defrost controls are now more stable, that's great. I will still be gun shy of them for some more time to come

Plus; the benefits of demand defrost in no way outweigh the problems the HVAC industry has had with them.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    The biggest reason is that in my area, the distributors that sold the equipment, would sell it to anyone. They were the low end contractors looking for the cheapest unit, since they sold jobs on price, not quality.

Saying that, the last company I worked for was a Trane dealer, that used Goodman as a second line. We sold Goodman mainly for rental/apartments. The company was a quality HVAC company, and trained their employees to do it right. As the service supervisor, I saw no more failures with the Goodman than I did with Trane.

I believe that if the equipment is sized and installed properly, you will have fewer problems.

Post Likes
    Funny you should mention York because the worst defrost control change out I've ever had to do was one of the first York's with demand defrost. The "new and improved" controls to replace the original board and relays was a time/temperature control that literally required that York unit to be completely rewired.

Amana had the same style of Demand defrost control you put on that Goodman. The Amana board, which was also used in other brands with the same problematic results, was replaced with a time/temperature system.
    I used to do a lot of work for a guy who was a York dealer. Thus the spare parts. This model was what I believe they called YorkMate III. I worked on quite a few of them and actually found them to be quite reliable. No so for York's thermistors. A call involving the controller was 99% of the time a bad sensor. I grew spoiled with the analyzer that you plugged in as you could easily read temps. Actually Honeywell made the controller for York. I think I only replaced one controller in about 20 years. I have done far more time/temp boards over that time.

I had the Goodman in for 1 winter and got pissed when it would defrost with little or no coil frost, but just the right temp conditions. It was burning a lot of KWs some nights with defrosts every 90 minutes. I checked, board, defrost stat all OKay. The next fall I squeezed an old controller I had (actually I have several on the shelf), put in the sensors and it works like a champ. Only defrosts when it needs to. From me it works much better than the Goodman time/temp.

paul

Post Likes
    Demand defrost is always better than a time/temp defrost. No question.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    With all the threads bashing Goodman,and now this one asking why the bad rap,at some point you have to believe they earned ,at least in part,deserved or not,their reputation.

If not ,maybe someone (thinking I know who) can explain how this came about.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Helton View Post
    Demand defrost is always better than a time/temp defrost. No question.
    Well, I used to have the job you have with the company you are with and I can tell you that if you had to deal with dozens of demand defrost issues every week you would not be so quick to say they are "always" better

Let's just say that if demand defrost controls actually work without the consistent failures they have had in the recent past they are always better. The design concept is certainly more efficient, but like anything else; when they don't work, they are crap.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Well, I used to have the job you have with the company you are with and I can tell you that if you had to deal with dozens of demand defrost issues every week you would not be so quick to say they are "always" better

Let's just say that if demand defrost controls actually work without the consistent failures they have had in the recent past they are always better. The design concept is certainly more efficient, but like anything else; when they don't work, they are crap.
    Hehe....too true

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    With all the threads bashing Goodman,and now this one asking why the bad rap,at some point you have to believe they earned ,at least in part,deserved or not,their reputation.

If not ,maybe someone (thinking I know who) can explain how this came about.
    Nothing like tossing more gas on the fire, eh dash?

Hell, you have championed Carrier for the use of Bristol compressors in one thread and then condemned the use of the same Bristol compressors used in another brand on another thread.

I'm just glad that there aren't as many ignorant, single minded pros who are willing to be so obnoxious discussing the many problems that Carrier has had over the years.
    Training is important!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Nothing like tossing more gas on the fire, eh dash?

Hell, you have championed Carrier for the use of Bristol compressors in one thread and then condemned the use of the same Bristol compressors used in another brand on another thread.

I'm just glad that there aren't as many ignorant, single minded pros who are willing to be so obnoxious discussing the many problems that Carrier has had over the years.
    No gas,or not intended,for the most part I stay out of the Goodman threads,not that I always did.I just wonder how there is so much,I think some most have been earned,it's not like there's any organization behind this,promoting it.

I believe you misinterpurted my Bristol comments,or I wasn't clear in what I stated.You'd have to find that one.

Not sure who you calling ignorant,so I'll pass on commenting.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in