Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why does Goodman get a bad rap?

Post Likes
    I would venture to say that the "Brand Bashers" would change their opinion on Goodman if us regular HO's were not able to purchase the Goodman equipment off the net or other places and not be able to do self installs
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Hey! no DIY here. I only went on about sound proofing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    I would venture to say that the "Brand Bashers" would change their opinion on Goodman if us regular HO's were not able to purchase the Goodman equipment off the net or other places and not be able to do self installs
    If you could have the best install team and company to install a system and money wasn't in the equation, would all of you still choose Goodman?

It isn't bad equipment if its installed correctly, but there are some areas it just doesn't excel in when comparing it to other brands.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    To anyone who actually works in the field on these things and likes them....

Next time you have the chance, completely remove the top of one of the newer style outdoor units, condenser fan wires and all, then reinstall it, you will have a new opinion of Goodman
    I pm'ed a 13 SEER GSC condensing unit, and although it was a little difficult to get back together, it was much easier to clean the condenser coil than the older units. As far as disconnecting and reconnecting the fan wires it was just as equally difficult as with the older condenser units.
    Stuart
    Lack of airflow destroys compressors.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    If you could have the best install team and company to install a system and money wasn't in the equation, would all of you still choose Goodman?
    It isn't bad equipment if its installed correctly, but there are some areas it just doesn't excel in when comparing it to other brands.
    If it was a 5 ton that I needed, I might.

Goodman doesn't have 2 stage A/C in units smaller then 5 ton.

Post Likes

Builder Grade 1999 Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I think you may have opened another can of worms, mallard. This thread has the name "Goodman" in it.

I don't see a huge difference between Goodman/Amana products and other brands. Of course Trane has the spine-fin coil, which people either love or hate. Parts wise, they are all pretty similar. Some have more features than others. Amana is not a bad product in my opinion. Any brand can break. Installation is key. I'm sure I've pretty much repeated what everyone else has already said, but so be it.

It came with the house so I didn't have a choice; appeared to the novice (me) that it was installed properly...performed very well for 9 years, then a leak in outside coil was cause for new system...just like Ryan said, parts fail and a homeowner out of warranty must do a cost/benefit analysis to ascertain the value of a parts replacement or a new system ...I opted for a new system ..AS with a 10 year extended warranty ....that being said, it does appear from my cursory research (post new installation) that a 1999 installed Goodman is not even close to what I perceive as a vastly improved 2008 Goodman...for this homeowner, a reliable install and an extended warranty is much more important than a particular brand

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If it was a 5 ton that I needed, I might.

Goodman doesn't have 2 stage A/C in units smaller then 5 ton.
    The 2008 catalog I have shows a two stage comp on the 15 seer package unit in 3,4 and 5 tons.

Maybe something they just changed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
    The 2008 catalog I have shows a two stage comp on the 15 seer package unit in 3,4 and 5 tons.

Think he's talking about the SSX16/SSZ16.

Post Likes

I was thinking of the split systems.
    Amana has it, Goodman doesn't, or didn't.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    Look around, you can buy pretty much any make/model on the internet, no manufacturer condones internet sales direct to homeowners, it is distributors/contractors that are doing this.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post

THANK YOU!!! I was hoping someone would bring this point up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mcewans View Post
    I pm'ed a 13 SEER GSC condensing unit, and although it was a little difficult to get back together, it was much easier to clean the condenser coil than the older units. As far as disconnecting and reconnecting the fan wires it was just as equally difficult as with the older condenser units.
    try it on a GSH then, the distributor and outlet header are right in front of the hole where the wires go, on the one I did it was damn near impossible to get the wires back in and hold the top up by yourself, they also zip tie the wires to the coil, very stupid design IMO

Post Likes
    I'll second that

Goodmana, my main line

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    try it on a GSH then, the distributor and outlet header are right in front of the hole where the wires go, on the one I did it was damn near impossible to get the wires back in and hold the top up by yourself, they also zip tie the wires to the coil, very stupid design IMO

Post Likes
    I was thinking of the split systems.
    Amana has it, Goodman doesn't, or didn't.
    Sorry about that, I didnt know you were refering to the split

Post Likes

It is funny

Quote Originally Posted by tdlaskaris View Post
    Goodman is bad because.... they're not! Other than American Standard/Trane which make their own compressors with their no good rotolock fittings, everyone else is just an importer of Copeland, Tecumseh, or Bristol (compressors), General Electric, A.O Smith, Emerson, etc (condenser fans), and so on. They (Goodman) still use copper coils which is better than aluminum (yeah I know Trane, it has better heat transfer, more like cheap $ especially with the wire brushes surrounding it). Service valves made primarly by Parker on all Brands. So what is it that makes them bad? Nothing other than as mentioned, the installers that lack knowledge or desire of doing the job right.
    Does goodman make a true ECM Blower and ventor motor?

Post Likes
    You don't want to be the maytag man on TV. Home owners wanting to show how easy it is to find a unit on the internet then someone on Craigslist to install a system for 400.00 keeps everyone's bills paid.

Post Likes
    Sorry about that, I didnt know you were refering to the split
    No problem.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    Does goodman make a true ECM Blower and ventor motor?
    No, and neither does Carrier.

Post Likes

R U speculating

No, and neither does Carrier.
    Who is talking about Carrier, we r talking about goodman and I should have worded that a little different does goodman install true ECM blower and ventor motors, Whats up with that so called board.

Post Likes
    Yes, they use true ECM motors. Atleast in their blowers.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in