Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why does Goodman get a bad rap?

Post Likes
    I am new to the industry and the old union guys just blow you off when you talk about goodman. The company I used to work for put in 185 units in an apartment to condo conversion and not one bad start. I put two trane units in a big fancy spec house cause they wanted the name. Right out of the box there was a bad inducer motor. Not two mention to replace a goodman control board cost xxx bucks (Change due to flood) and a carrier board is over xxx.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 07-31-2008 at 12:24 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes

Goodman has its place

Quote Originally Posted by oldpizzaguy View Post
    I am new to the industry and the old union guys just blow you off when you talk about goodman. The company I used to work for put in 185 units in an apartment to condo conversion and not one bad start. I put two trane units in a big fancy spec house cause they wanted the name. Right out of the box there was a bad inducer motor. Not two mention to replace a goodman control board cost xxx bucks (Change due to flood) and a carrier board is over xxx.

In the outhouse or garage. Is goodman related to fraser johnson.

Post Likes
    Fraser Johnson is a York product. While there are some cabinetry differences, most manufactures of HVAC equipment have comparable models that basicly use the same components. If the components are not literally exactly the same vendored items, they are merely variations of the same components that are being used by other equipment manufacturers. Other then the variable speed blower, two stage compressor and possibly inverter technology, there really hasn't been much technological innovation in the HVAC industry.

With government mandated efficiency ratings and general application needs, there really just isn't much difference in any of the comparably featured systems on the market.

Post Likes

Last Reply

Goodmans with there self install kit are usually the easiest to get online. There pricing is also the most reasonable that I have seen.

Post Likes
    I am new to the industry and the old union guys just blow you off when you talk about goodman. The company I used to work for put in 185 units in an apartment to condo conversion and not one bad start. I put two trane units in a big fancy spec house cause they wanted the name. Right out of the box there was a bad inducer motor. Not two mention to replace a goodman control board cost xx bucks (Change due to flood) and a carrier board is over xxx.
    You shouldnt be talking about parts pricing!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by calebj77 View Post
    Goodmans with there self install kit are usually the easiest to get online. There pricing is also the most reasonable that I have seen.

Self install kit?

Is that what you used?

Post Likes
    I am new to the industry and the old union guys just blow you off when you talk about goodman. The company I used to work for put in 185 units in an apartment to condo conversion and not one bad start. I put two trane units in a big fancy spec house cause they wanted the name. Right out of the box there was a bad inducer motor. Not two mention to replace a goodman control board cost XXXX bucks (Change due to flood) and a carrier board is over XXX.
    Edit out your pricing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by calebj77 View Post
    What is a self install kit? Goodman Manufacturing has no such animal. Trane and American Standard have a self regulating charge device that will make installations easier for non-professionals but I believe they are the only ones currently using that device.

If you think Goodman equipment being sold on the Internet by contractors has good pricing, just wait till you see what Haier and Fedders will be doing if they ever get their act together.

Post Likes
    Sorry about the pricing. I was not thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingair View Post
    What is a self install kit? Goodman Manufacturing has no such animal. .
    No, but Internet dealers do.

http://www.XXXXXXXwayinc.com/install...ullinstall.asp

Post Likes

Hmm why

because most comapnys that sell goodman are new and they in turn hire new installers which 90% don't know how to get the job done right so things fail especially the conversion from r22 to 410a its sad but true

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jb00gz View Post
    because most comapnys that sell goodman are new and they in turn hire new installers which 90% don't know how to get the job done right so things fail especially the conversion from r22 to 410a its sad but true
    I agree, but that doesn't make the product itself bad. There are well-established companies that install Goodman/Amana. A fairly large company in my area that I've used for service in the past does a lot of Goodman and Amana (I think they private label their Goodman products or at least some of them). What you're saying can certainly add to the bad rep. that Goodman has had in the past.

Post Likes
    Not a word of this is accurate. Some of the largest and oldest national HVAC contractors install Goodman equipment. Goodman didn't even have an R410a system under the Goodman label until last year.

Goodman just operates differently then other manufactures and since that has made them the largest single branded manufacturer of residential equipment in North America, those who don't sell it bash it. If you can't beat'em, make up bad things about them and whine and cry so much that it seems there is really a problem.

Goodman equipment fails just like any other brand fails, except the patented dual sized heat exchangers which have the lowest failure rate in the industry with the Goodman/Amana stainless steel version having zero failures since the mid 1990's.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    All this goodman praise is utter heresy....shame on you, now go kneel on rice and seek penance.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    All this goodman praise is utter heresy....shame on you, now go kneel on rice and seek penance.
    Since I am very consistant that Goodman is not better then any other brand, how is this Goodman praise? I just deplore those who make our industry look petty by constantly bashing certain brands.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes

noone bashed

i didnt bash goodman it is an alright brand im just saying most startup companies use it because the sole fact it is cheap. And some well established companies do use goodman but few because they dont have to there name speaks for it itself. As far as good as any other brand i wont vouch for that there okay and thats all im pushing for.

Post Likes
    i didnt bash goodman it is an alright brand im just saying most startup companies use it because the sole fact it is cheap. And some well established companies do use goodman but few because they dont have to there name speaks for it itself. As far as good as any other brand i wont vouch for that there okay and thats all im pushing for.
    Don't worry about it. Some will call this bashing some won't.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I've seen many derailed Tranes around my own home, yet my Amana continues to run strong..........................

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Refer-Madness View Post
    I've seen many derailed Tranes around my own home, yet my Amana continues to run strong..........................
    I have an Amana myself. 24 years old and still running strong. A little TLC goes a long way. Hell I still got my Mercury Tstat.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    I have an Amana myself. 24 years old and still running strong. A little TLC goes a long way. Hell I still got my Mercury Tstat.
    Exactly, and it has NOTHING to do with my profession. The last thing I want to do with my free time is FIX MY OWN A/C!!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in