Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why does Goodman get a bad rap?

Post Likes

just installed my 1st goodman sytem

put my 1st furnace coil condenser in the other day. one thing i can say is that they're way easier on the back.
    "The things you own end up owning you. "

Tyler Durden
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Goodman was originally marketed under the namebrand Janitrol . Back then we referred to them a Jani-junks, and they really were poor quality systems. They have came a long way since then and as others have said, are quality units when installed and maintained properly.

Unfortunately for Goodman, the stigma still follows them (in my area at least) and while I service them regularly, I don't install them because of how they are percieved by the general public.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Goodman blows, I dont care what the others say!
    Oh really. What brand do you prefer. And does that brand come with a LIFETIME COMPRESSOR & LIFETIME HEAT EXCHANGER WARRANTY!

Post Likes
    i've taken the factory tour in houston and i saw the feedback cards posted on a bulletin board on the factory floor. that impressed me. they show an interest in what the installers and end users say. evn the old junkitrol are still pluggin away,(those that were installed right).
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes
    They have a bad rep because they earned it.

Now they are digging themselves out of a hole. They are not the company they used to be.

Don't loose any sleep over putting in an Amana system. I installed an Amana Distinctions in my neighbor's house three weeks ago. It's a nice quiet system with a nice warranty. As long as you didn't go with a low ball fly by night company there is a good chance of long trouble free service. Of course you will want to have your equipment served yearly. Once in the fall and once in the spring.

I put in a Lennox system in my house a couple months ago. It's a nice quiet system bought from a quality industry inavator. The warranty is not as nice, but I don't for see any need to use it.

The difference between my choosing Lennox over Amana Distinctions came down to how I precieve Lennox and Goodman. It was a personal choice. A choice based on my field experiences. I sell both brands.

The difference between my neighbor choosing Amana Distinctions was purely economical and that I live next door.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    I think you may have opened another can of worms, mallard. This thread has the name "Goodman" in it.

I don't see a huge difference between Goodman/Amana products and other brands. Of course Trane has the spine-fin coil, which people either love or hate. Parts wise, they are all pretty similar. Some have more features than others. Amana is not a bad product in my opinion. Any brand can break. Installation is key. I'm sure I've pretty much repeated what everyone else has already said, but so be it.

I can confirm that Goodman does indeed blow.

My GSH14036 heat pump blows cold air in the summer, and heated air in the winter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    Oh really. What brand do you prefer. And does that brand come with a LIFETIME COMPRESSOR & LIFETIME HEAT EXCHANGER WARRANTY!
    It's pointless to try and reason with him....bashers cannot be reasoned with
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    I am no HVAC pro, but can I interject...hehe.

When it comes to forums or "feedback" of any product produced in the millions,
    it's probably going to be hard to get a true concensus of any real accuracy.

Let's say 10,000 pencil sharpners are sold. You go to a site where there just
    may happen to be 5 unhappy buyers and 2 happy buyers.

I mean, while maybe helpful, it's just not a realistic true representation of that products quality.
    I suppose that's a given.

Just my nickels worth. (Strange fact - Nickels are made mostly of copper and pennies are made mostly of nickel).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    Just some facts:

Compressor warranty:

Lifetime warranty applies to original owner and spouse for as long as they own the house.

The unit is installed in an owner-occupied, single family residence

Unit is installed with new matched coil / air handler

And properly registered with Goodman within 60 days after the original installation.

Warranties do not apply to labor, freight, or any other cost associated with the service, repair or operation of the unit.

This is pretty standard for all manufactures that offer Limited Lifetime Warranties.

Goodman does provide unit replacements for bad compressors that fails during the lifetime period.

So make sure your dealer is following the registration rules.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I think you may have opened another can of worms, mallard. This thread has the name "Goodman" in it.

I don't see a huge difference between Goodman/Amana products and other brands. Of course Trane has the spine-fin coil, which people either love or hate. Parts wise, they are all pretty similar. Some have more features than others. Amana is not a bad product in my opinion. Any brand can break. Installation is key. I'm sure I've pretty much repeated what everyone else has already said, but so be it.

Hehe... I didn't mean to cause such an uproar. I was genuinely curious. It has turned out to be an informative thread for me.

Post Likes
    I see a lot of broken down Goodmans, but there are more of them out there than any other brand around here, as far as I can tell.
    But all brands break down. I've got a customer with a very old Bryant insisting the condenser motor is fine, but it keeps cutting out, with a new cap installed. He just doesn't want to pay $$$ for the new motor. Boss says let him sweat.
    Goodman, and any other brand are only as good, or bad, as the install, ductwork, and set-up allow them to be.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    my company is a lennox and goodman dealer, lennox is way more expensive, i still like goodman though, they use same name brand parts in their units as lennox does, and they are well built, but their OLD units were crap, goodmans new line is alot better and even comes with great warrenty, if you wanna go dimes and nickles i would say u get more bang for u buck with a goodman, my opinion....

Post Likes
    To answer the OP's question, they have gotten a bad rep, partly due to they have the largest share of the market, so statistically speaking, there are more of them out there, with the possibility of failing. Secondly, We all know that any A/C that is not working properly is immediately deemed a P.O.S by the owner. Third, as with all equipment brands, there is a large percentage, that have problems or need repairs, due to improper installation and/or maintenance, Again with the statistics, there are more of them out there in operation. And finally, Usually the type of person that blames failures or repairs on the Manufacturer, Is also the person without proper installation and service knowledge.

Post Likes
    I would compare goodman with Fraser Johnson. The boards are my biggest hate next to the noise and quality of the engineering. Goodman is only good for 1 thing.

[price

Post Likes
    Goodman is bad because.... they're not! Other than American Standard/Trane which make their own compressors with their no good rotolock fittings, everyone else is just an importer of Copeland, Tecumseh, or Bristol (compressors), General Electric, A.O Smith, Emerson, etc (condenser fans), and so on. They (Goodman) still use copper coils which is better than aluminum (yeah I know Trane, it has better heat transfer, more like cheap $ especially with the wire brushes surrounding it). Service valves made primarly by Parker on all Brands. So what is it that makes them bad? Nothing other than as mentioned, the installers that lack knowledge or desire of doing the job right.

Post Likes
    To anyone who actually works in the field on these things and likes them....

Next time you have the chance, completely remove the top of one of the newer style outdoor units, condenser fan wires and all, then reinstall it, you will have a new opinion of Goodman

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tdlaskaris View Post
    So what is it that makes them bad? Nothing other than as mentioned, the installers that lack knowledge or desire of doing the job right.
    To tell ya the truth, 6 months ago I saw only talk about lennox, trane, york,carrier, and american standard.

What's wierd lately is that Googling everything AC now seems to come up Goodman.

"I just bought a Goodman...." blah blah blah. They must be getting popular with the public.

Not making a judgement this way or that...just noticing.

As mentioned earlier...you can easily buy them off the net. Not so with other AC/Furnace units.

Damn...until the last 8 months....mostly Trane and York and Carrier and American Standard,Lennox were talked about here. Now it's all Goodman on all the other forums and "ask the expert" places.

Like I said...just noticing. What a campaign Goodman must be running?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    I can confirm that Goodman does indeed blow.

My GSH14036 heat pump blows cold air in the summer, and heated air in the winter.

14 SEER, 12 EER, 9 HSPF, a full 36,000 btu cooling and 35,000 btu heating at 47F. 10 year parts warranty. Those are outstanding numbers.

Saved a nice chunk of change compared to a 14i.

Celebrated its one year anniversary in June.

Take care.
    Well, if it blows, it must suck too. Can't have one without the other.

lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by caslon View Post
    To tell ya the truth, 6 months ago I saw only talk about lennox, trane, york,carrier, and american standard.

What's wierd lately is that Googling everything AC now seems to come up Goodman.

"I just bought a Goodman...." blah blah blah. They must be getting popular with the public.

Not making a judgement this way or that...just noticing.

As mentioned earlier...you can easily buy them off the net. Not so with other AC/Furnace units.

Damn...until the last 8 months....mostly Trane and York and Carrier and American Standard,Lennox were talked about here. Now it's all Goodman on all the other forums and "ask the expert" places.

Like I said...just noticing. What a campaign Goodman must be running?
    This is a good point. I know in the Kansas City area Goodman has three warehouses. (Including Topeka).

1. Are these Goodman owned Distributorships? I think I was told they are, but don't remember for sure.

2. When did Goodman purchase the Amana line? And did they in fact drop the Janitrol lable.

3. Was Goodman bought recently? If so did the new owners make these changes?

4. When did Goodman tighten their supply chain making it more difficult for cash and carry customers?

It seems to me these are just recent (5 years or less) events. These events are positive IMO

The Goodman debate gets a lot of play on this site because of a few hard headed people that are not afraid to express their opinions.

Post Likes
    Actually our distributor, rarely has anything with the goodman badge on it, It is either Amana, or "Distinctions" by amana for the goodman stuff, same model #'s and everything as the goodman label.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in