Thread: Why does Goodman get a bad rap?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Why does Goodman get a bad rap?

A tech that recently serviced my (now-dead) system had nothing good to say about Goodman. I've seen a number of negative comments about Goodman on this forum and elsewhere on the web.

I'm curious for a couple of reasons:

1) I'm completely clueless to all things HVAC-related.

2) I just had an Amana system installed and as I understand it, the Amana brand is owned by Goodman.

Curious in Texas...
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes

My Opinion

Because they allow there products to be sold to novices. You as a consumer can order a Goodman online. Having the inexperienced install an HVAC system is a recipe for disaster. That simple.

Post Likes
    Partially because at one point their quality and performance was inferior to most of the rest of the industry, and they were priced accordingly, so they became popular due to their price.
    I don't recall Goodman claiming to be anything more than the least expensive equipment you could buy in those days though.

They have made great strides in the last few years, and most of their stuff is now at about the same quality level as anyone else, and their equipment has similar performance to others.
    They have achieved price parity with some of the "name" brands too.

But mostly they got a bad rap because of installations like this:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=175624

This:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=156967

And this:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=156968

Post Likes
    Because of a few blowhard posters who won't allow discussions about Goodman to exist without their hijacking the thread for their own personal whine-fest. Painson and milkdud will be along shortly to tell how Goodman is destroying the world

In the meantime; anyone with half a brain can do the math that Goodman has not sold more equipment then any other single branded equipment manufacturer by being anywhere near as faulty as the few brand bashers try to make Goodman out to be.

If this crap continues, this site will wind up being taken over by those brand bashers who will not allow rational discussions to take place on any thread.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    In the meantime; anyone with half a brain can do the math that Goodman has not sold more equipment then any other single branded equipment manufacturer by being anywhere near as faulty as the few brand bashers try to make Goodman out to be.
    Well, the Goodman 13 SEER condensers and heat pumps I've put in this year better be good, they cost me more than Trane XR13 units do!

Post Likes
    I never understood how a Tech can go to someones home and trash talk the brand the customer has installed when the problem more often then not is poor installation or service. It's the corner cutters that are to blame for the bashing, blame the unit instead of themselves for cutting corners. Good way to make a homeowner feel good about calling you tell them they have a piece of junk when its all in your head. Can't believe any tech would bash it one of the easiest pieces of equipment to service and maintain.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Partially because at one point their quality and performance was inferior to most of the rest of the industry, and they were priced accordingly, so they became popular due to their price.
    I don't recall Goodman claiming to be anything more than the least expensive equipment you could buy in those days though.

They have made great strides in the last few years, and most of their stuff is now at about the same quality level as anyone else, and their equipment has similar performance to others.
    They have achieved price parity with some of the "name" brands too.

But mostly they got a bad rap because of installations like this:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=175624

This:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=156967

And this:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=156968
    I agree with Mark.

When I was in trade school I heard a lot of bad things about Goodman. It was referred to as Junktrol.

But when I got out in the field I found that Goodman equipment had basically the same components as the other brand units.

I believe Goodman got a bad rap from bad installs.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Great replies and feedback guys. Good and interesting info - especially the detailed photos from Mark Beiser.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by calebj77 View Post
    Because they allow there products to be sold to novices. You as a consumer can order a Goodman online. Having the inexperienced install an HVAC system is a recipe for disaster. That simple.
    You can buy any brand online.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You can buy any brand online.
    Damn it
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by calebj77 View Post

You can get ANY make of equipment off the internet....not just Goodman
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mallard View Post
    A tech that recently serviced my (now-dead) system had nothing good to say about Goodman. I've seen a number of negative comments about Goodman on this forum and elsewhere on the web.

I'm curious for a couple of reasons:

1) I'm completely clueless to all things HVAC-related.

2) I just had an Amana system installed and as I understand it, the Amana brand is owned by Goodman.

Curious in Texas...
    I had the exact opposite happen. 2 techs, 2 separate occasions, tell me that they think Goodman is the best thing out there (since they bought Amana) ...as they serviced my Lennox, installed by their company.

Post Likes

just installed my 1st goodman sytem

put my 1st furnace coil condenser in the other day. one thing i can say is that they're way easier on the back.
    "The things you own end up owning you. "

Tyler Durden

Post Likes
    Goodman was originally marketed under the namebrand Janitrol . Back then we referred to them a Jani-junks, and they really were poor quality systems. They have came a long way since then and as others have said, are quality units when installed and maintained properly.

Unfortunately for Goodman, the stigma still follows them (in my area at least) and while I service them regularly, I don't install them because of how they are percieved by the general public.

Post Likes

My Tech thinks Amana rocks

Great Warranty
    Pretty much bulletproof
    Great heat pump 18 SEER 9.5 HSPF

He says he repairs them all and nothing really sticks out as a bad brand. He DID say Goodmans had quality issues in the past, but its been rectified.
    He visited the Goodman/Amana plant and was impressed.

Post Likes

Brand Basher?

I am not a brand basher. There is nothing wrong with Goodmans or most other brands as long as they are installed professionally. By professionally I mean manual J and D calculations being performed for the home. Find a good HVAC company in your area. Manual J is a load calculation based on many different factors in your home. Manual D is for the ductwork to make sure it is sized properly for the equipment.

Post Likes
    The biggest reason is that in my area, the distributors that sold the equipment, would sell it to anyone. They were the low end contractors looking for the cheapest unit, since they sold jobs on price, not quality.

Saying that, the last company I worked for was a Trane dealer, that used Goodman as a second line. We sold Goodman mainly for rental/apartments. The company was a quality HVAC company, and trained their employees to do it right. As the service supervisor, I saw no more failures with the Goodman than I did with Trane.

I believe that if the equipment is sized and installed properly, you will have fewer problems.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-08-2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Post Likes
    makemice1976, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in