Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Why does Goodman get a bad rap?

A tech that recently serviced my (now-dead) system had nothing good to say about Goodman. I've seen a number of negative comments about Goodman on this forum and elsewhere on the web.

I'm curious for a couple of reasons:

1) I'm completely clueless to all things HVAC-related.

2) I just had an Amana system installed and as I understand it, the Amana brand is owned by Goodman.

Curious in Texas...

My Opinion

Because they allow there products to be sold to novices. You as a consumer can order a Goodman online. Having the inexperienced install an HVAC system is a recipe for disaster. That simple.

Partially because at one point their quality and performance was inferior to most of the rest of the industry, and they were priced accordingly, so they became popular due to their price.
    I don't recall Goodman claiming to be anything more than the least expensive equipment you could buy in those days though.

They have made great strides in the last few years, and most of their stuff is now at about the same quality level as anyone else, and their equipment has similar performance to others.
    They have achieved price parity with some of the "name" brands too.

But mostly they got a bad rap because of installations like this:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=175624

This:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=156967

And this:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=156968
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Because of a few blowhard posters who won't allow discussions about Goodman to exist without their hijacking the thread for their own personal whine-fest. Painson and milkdud will be along shortly to tell how Goodman is destroying the world

In the meantime; anyone with half a brain can do the math that Goodman has not sold more equipment then any other single branded equipment manufacturer by being anywhere near as faulty as the few brand bashers try to make Goodman out to be.

If this crap continues, this site will wind up being taken over by those brand bashers who will not allow rational discussions to take place on any thread.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    In the meantime; anyone with half a brain can do the math that Goodman has not sold more equipment then any other single branded equipment manufacturer by being anywhere near as faulty as the few brand bashers try to make Goodman out to be.
    Well, the Goodman 13 SEER condensers and heat pumps I've put in this year better be good, they cost me more than Trane XR13 units do!
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I never understood how a Tech can go to someones home and trash talk the brand the customer has installed when the problem more often then not is poor installation or service. It's the corner cutters that are to blame for the bashing, blame the unit instead of themselves for cutting corners. Good way to make a homeowner feel good about calling you tell them they have a piece of junk when its all in your head. Can't believe any tech would bash it one of the easiest pieces of equipment to service and maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Partially because at one point their quality and performance was inferior to most of the rest of the industry, and they were priced accordingly, so they became popular due to their price.
    I don't recall Goodman claiming to be anything more than the least expensive equipment you could buy in those days though.

They have made great strides in the last few years, and most of their stuff is now at about the same quality level as anyone else, and their equipment has similar performance to others.
    They have achieved price parity with some of the "name" brands too.

But mostly they got a bad rap because of installations like this:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=175624

This:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=156967

And this:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=156968
    I agree with Mark.

When I was in trade school I heard a lot of bad things about Goodman. It was referred to as Junktrol.

But when I got out in the field I found that Goodman equipment had basically the same components as the other brand units.

I believe Goodman got a bad rap from bad installs.

Great replies and feedback guys. Good and interesting info - especially the detailed photos from Mark Beiser.

Quote Originally Posted by calebj77 View Post
    Because they allow there products to be sold to novices. You as a consumer can order a Goodman online. Having the inexperienced install an HVAC system is a recipe for disaster. That simple.
    You can buy any brand online.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You can buy any brand online.
    Damn it
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by calebj77 View Post

You can get ANY make of equipment off the internet....not just Goodman
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by mallard View Post
    A tech that recently serviced my (now-dead) system had nothing good to say about Goodman. I've seen a number of negative comments about Goodman on this forum and elsewhere on the web.

I'm curious for a couple of reasons:

1) I'm completely clueless to all things HVAC-related.

2) I just had an Amana system installed and as I understand it, the Amana brand is owned by Goodman.

Curious in Texas...
    I had the exact opposite happen. 2 techs, 2 separate occasions, tell me that they think Goodman is the best thing out there (since they bought Amana) ...as they serviced my Lennox, installed by their company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast