Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    [B]"If airflow is not confirmed the other measurements are meaningless[/B]."

How much profit could be made my confirming the airflow??[/QUOTE]

Confirming air flow WB and DB is a one way to confirm the air flow is right. But when charging a system We use SC and SH. If you know so much why don't you do PM. Some guys can tell what wrong with systems just by looking at it, but they still should confirm with gauges.

HUM

Quote Originally Posted by anacdoctor View Post
    What would you have done??

HUM I would have told him/her that unit needs to be changed.
    If they don't go for that. Call a professional.

I have been to very few customers that did not have a clogged filter, Coil and blower wheel.
    No way the system are at the correct air flow.
    Is it a service or a disservice to feel cool air coming from the supply and just leave.
    Now if the customer was advised,
    Pull and clean or replacement of the blower wheel.
    Pull and clean of the coil.
    What is that $600.00??
    If the customer is not advised, they think everthing is working CORRECTLY.
    You are the expert, they trust you.
    You put your hand up and feel that cool air and then just leave.
    What is going to happen when next week, you get a call for a no cool that that same house.
    Now what are you going to tell the customer??

For every tech that follows good service practices, you will find 10 that don't.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Check static pressures. Quick, easy, and can tell you allot but you have to understand the system and the readings. Ainitfun... do you disagree? How much profit? If you are the one to fix the system, reduce energy use, increase reliability and comfort then you will be trusted and have a customer for a long time, this is where the profit comes from.

Let me first tell you what I did when I was the 3rd person to check the frozen no cool.
    It was very easy for me to see what the problem was.
    The first thing I check on a system is the filter, and I found the filter so plugged that the system was trying to suck air thru any opening in the air handler.
    When I replaced the filter and got the correct air flow I checked for the correct superheat ( It used a piston as the metering device) the system did not freeze again.
    I find so many in the trade that do not ever know the basics.
    I ask myself so many times why are these people in the trade.
    I did work for a company that made each tech do static pressure readings.
    By I have not really talked to any other techs from other companies that ever know how to test the static pressures.
    I find it a disservice to the customer to not check the system correctly and advise the customer the condition of the system.
    I am not one that likes to try and sell the customer a new system, but I do know alot of tech's that do.
    If the system can be repaired correctly I think it should be and not try to sell the customer a new system.
    How much profit can be made? I believe word of mouth is the best advertising.
    So how much profit, I think the sky is the limit!

Quote Originally Posted by mbarson View Post
    Check static pressures. Quick, easy, and can tell you allot but you have to understand the system and the readings. Ainitfun... do you disagree? How much profit? If you are the one to fix the system, reduce energy use, increase reliability and comfort then you will be trusted and have a customer for a long time, this is where the profit comes from.
    I am not seeing anything I disagree with , why do you ask?

Find out upfront, what the Customer Wants

The customer should be provided with some cost options according to what they want you to do!

There is always a proper sequence when going on lack of cooling calls, or just a service checkup.

The sequences are on my web site pages, so I won't repeat them here.

One of the problems is that, if you are alone, few will take the time to do the checks that would provide a good psychrometric ball-park BTUH at those existing conditions. Those findings can be compared to the mfg'ers Ratings at near identical conditions.

Let's say you have a couple of helper's that are willing to learn, with minimal compensation, while helping you take the various readings:
    First, is clean filter, blower wheel & both coils.
    The ESP should be taken to confirm if too high or too low, pointing to two possible problems. With that okay...
    ---------------------------------------
    Second, is actual measured airflow to each room & the total going through the evaporator coil, that can be done several ways.
    Third, is the dry bulb temperature & wet bulb of both Return & Supply.

There is test equipment that makes it much easier & faster, if we can afford it! http://www.nationalcomfortinstitute.com/
    If I were not retired, I would figure out a way to get that kind of test equipment.

With an accurate Airflow reading & the db temperature & wb above psychrometric software will ball-park the BTUH the equipment & its ductwork are producing. Which is not the whole story!
    ----------------------------------
    The other factors that can make that BTUH data meaningless are many, one is whether it s drawing hot air from a source into the RETURN AIR, are the supply ducts leaking, etc.

With a fair amount of practice & the latest test instrument technology it would would be much easier to ball-park the equipment delivered BTUH.

You provide me the data in Two & Three & I can provide you with a ball-park equipment delivered BTUH. If everything else is right, then most of that equipment BTUH will be delivered to the conditioned rooms.
    - udarrell

Why is System Efficiency not checked on each system serviced?

It is very sad to me, the amount of techs in the field not properly trained.

Is there so much work out there, that the tech does not have time to be trained?

And are the trained ones so busy doing call backs on the untrained or under trained techs?, is that why complete testing of the system is not done?

Or is it because it just does not produce enough revenue?

What about "beenthere",
    I did see a post, asking how "beenthere", can be answering so many questions on this site.
    In the post it stated "Don't you work"
    Each and everyone of us should be very happy and lucky he is answering our problems!
    Techs like him are few and far between in the field.
    Why is that??

What about "beenthere", I did see a post, asking how "beenthere", can be answering so many questions on this site. In the post it stated "Don't you work" Each and everyone of us should be very happy and lucky he is answering our problems! Techs like him are few and far between in the field.
    Why is that??

While beenthere is answering so many post, most of us are very busy making money. I don't do this for the fun of it, I have a family to feed. Next question why should this make me happy and feel lucky about that. Finally there are alot of good techs out their, but too many cheap customers would are always looking for deals and won't pay for all the tests.
    Educate yourself before coming on here critizing others.

Ok, so for you in Canada, the reason is the customer's are to cheap?

Let me ask you this.
    Are you and or techs so busy they can not check the system completely?

I do all checks

Let me ask you this.
    Are you and or techs so busy they can not check the system completely?
    When I take a call. I clean condenser and check evap(give customers choice), Check super heat, sub cool, EIDWB, EIDDB, LIDDB, I check filter, I check to see if their are any air leaks in system, I replace plastic shrader cap cover and make sure shrader is not leaking, To me that is good enough and alot more than most.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast