Thread: variable?

variable?

Should I opt for variable speed compressor for additional a/c unit. Unit going in is 2 ton american standard in the attic. I have one quote with variable speed compressor and one without. The one without includes extra ducts to balance system, and the variable one does not.

What you guys think?

Do you mean variable-speed air handler? Or two-stage compressor? I'm confused as to why the presumably more expensive option doens't include extra ducts to balance the system. A variable-speed blower isn't a cure for poor ductwork systems (not saying they can't help to some extent).

variable

I am putting in a system in the second story because the original unit (which is staying to do downstairs) can not keep the upstairs cool. I am talking about a variable speed air handler, but this option does not include extra ductwork which I think I need. This one will just hook into the existing ductwork, which will not be able to handle 2 tons. The other quote includes an additional duct to each upstairs bedroom

Something's not right with that. Ask your contractor why he left out the additional ductwork needed to handle 2 tons of airflow.