Serious HVAC problem/question

We have a through the wall Amana ac/heat pump unit that develped a short in it. Tech came out, tested it and said it needed a sylenoid, reversing valve, and drier. Parts under warrenty, we order them and a week later he came back put in the parts, pulled a vacuum and said that now the compressor is bad and must be replaced. Already into this problem over $400 and I can buy a new unit for $600, so we hold off the compresor repair. I get to looking, pull the air unit and see that the three lines coming out of the sylenoid/reversing valve isn't even souldered in, are hanging loose with electrical tape rapped around them! My question is, why would you undo these lines after establishing the fact that the compressor is bad. None of the three lines lead right to the compresor, it can be disconnected at the top. AM I GETTING SCREWED OR WHAT? I don't know what to do, but I have the unit in my truck, and am heading up there in the morning to attempt to get a good explaination. Any information appreciated!!

mis-diagnosis?

Confused

Why would the system not be closed? To test the compresor, wouldn't the system need to be closed and charged with freon?

Hmmm. Would it have to be Freon or would Genitron do?
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

i have know idea, i'm just trying to figure out WHY the system is left open. How do you determine the compressor is bad without completely installing the sylenoid/reversing valve....

Don't know what he found. Don't know how the compressor has failed. I think you'd be best off to ask the lad who worked on it.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!