Thread: Leaky A coil

Leaky A coil

I had 'A' coil and compresser unit installed in 2004, required charging after 2005 season, again in 2008. Last check serviceman told me 'A' coil was leaking per leak test he conducted. 'A' coil is covered under warrenty.
    Labor is big ticket item. I am suspicious this 'A' coil was bad from the start and either overlooked by the manufacture or serice personnel installing the unit. Looking for any ammunition I can use to go back to both MFG and installer to not have to pay out full install cost again. Is there any testing that could have, should have been performed at installation to verify system was good?
    Any feedback on this subject would be appreciated.

most likely your labor warrenty from the installer is expired. If the unit is still under manu warr it would be possiable to get a new one. I think your just gonna have to bit the bullet. Did you use the same company to charge it the first time?

It's impossible to tell 2 years after the fact.
    Most evaporator coils are shipped pressurized with nitrogen from the mfg. This is done to find leaky coils before they are installed.
    Leaks can develop due to cleaning chemicals or air fresheners used in the household.
    At least the mfg is covering the part under warranty.

That said:

There are several different ways to verify a leak free system.

The one I prefer is to pressurize the system to 250 psi with dry nitrogen, turn off the nitrogen, mark the needle position on the refrigerant gauges, let it sit for a half an hour with the gauges on it.

Any leak will show up as a loss in pressure on the gauges. This prevents poor craftsmanship or a preexisting fault from being an issue (such as a nail or screw through a refrigerant line)

If the gauges show a leak, I then have to find, fix and retest it. I have found two during a repair, the large one was masking the smaller one. The pressure test discovered the second one and both were fixed. I use the wait time to do necessary job related tasks so the time isn't wasted.

Any subsequent leaks are then beyond my control as I verified the system was leak free before I left.
    Last edited by allan38; 07-29-2008 at 02:17 AM. Reason: typo
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

If the system went for 3 years without having to be charged, there was no leak. If there is a leak now, it could be from any one of many things that caused the leak that has nothing to do with the manufacturer.

There is no way to determine at this point that there could have been a leak from the start, but it is highly doubtful from what you are saying is the history of the system. Even if the system never operated, refrigerant in under constant pressure. So, if there were a leak, it would have leaked out consistantly.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Thanks for the reply on this. Yes we have contract for our heating and cooling unit.
    My main point is since the system was only used one season before a recharge had to take place, than the coil was faulty from the start and should have been discovered at installation. It took 2 days to complete the full system installation, I think that should have been enough time to do some type of pressure check on the system!

That is precisely what I want to go back to our installer with, who we also contract for maintenance for both heat and cooling systems. Since the system needed recharged after one season of use, did they pressure check the system before they buttoned everything up. Thanks for the reply!