Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 22 of 22

Thread: Self Install

  1. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    68,803
    The Weil McLain Ultra, is up to 98% efficient(at low temp), is also direct vent, comes with outdoor reset standard. And has a 15 Year heat exchanger warranty.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The Weil McLain Ultra, is up to 98% efficient(at low temp), is also direct vent, comes with outdoor reset standard. And has a 15 Year heat exchanger warranty.
    I'm leery of the aluminum heat exchanger. I'll be on well water... should I be concerned? I talked to a Weil contractor. He said he's had serveral issues in the area. I'm thinking it may be due to water quality. To be sure, I was going to target stainless steel instead.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    68,803
    I have 1, possibaly 2 on well water, no problems.
    PH balance should be checked before installing any mod/con boiler.
    Plus it sgould be checked yearly, also for any boiler, conventional or mod/con.

    What kind of trouble did he tell you he was having?
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I have 1, possibaly 2 on well water, no problems.
    PH balance should be checked before installing any mod/con boiler.
    Plus it sgould be checked yearly, also for any boiler, conventional or mod/con.

    What kind of trouble did he tell you he was having?
    I believe he said something along the lines of premature leaking and startup leaks.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,841
    Utica Pinnacle, Knight, Weil McLain Gas Ultra, Munchkin, Buderus, Viessmann to name a few. All have very high efficiencies (for low temp applications, which is what the number they all advertise but few homes can achieve that because few homes are all low temp), all have outdoor temp reset, sealed combustion/direct vent and all require professional, knowledable installation technicians and service technicians. The true professional will first analyze the home, then the connected load, then select the boiler that's both appropriate for the job and one that he/his company is comfortable with installing and servicing. There's nothing more painful for a customer than installing a unit (DYI or otherwise) and having to call in a pro to get it fixed when it breaks and the pro who comes in did not install it. Cha-CHING! BOHICA baby (Bend Over, Here It Comes Again)
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

    If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    Utica Pinnacle, Knight, Weil McLain Gas Ultra, Munchkin, Buderus, Viessmann to name a few. All have very high efficiencies (for low temp applications, which is what the number they all advertise but few homes can achieve that because few homes are all low temp), all have outdoor temp reset, sealed combustion/direct vent and all require professional, knowledable installation technicians and service technicians. The true professional will first analyze the home, then the connected load, then select the boiler that's both appropriate for the job and one that he/his company is comfortable with installing and servicing. There's nothing more painful for a customer than installing a unit (DYI or otherwise) and having to call in a pro to get it fixed when it breaks and the pro who comes in did not install it. Cha-CHING! BOHICA baby (Bend Over, Here It Comes Again)
    Let me throw in a twist... do any of these guys make an electric boiler? Is there such a thing as a boiler which handles electric or gas (dual fuel within one unit)?

    The power company offers low rates for dual fuel heating. According to my calculations, the rate is better than propane.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    68,803
    Quote Originally Posted by jrastama View Post
    I believe he said something along the lines of premature leaking and startup leaks.
    Neither of the 2 on wells has leaked yet.

    Sounds like the boilers weren't checked like they should have been after being put into service.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    68,803
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Neither of the 2 on wells has leaked yet.

    Sounds like the boilers weren't checked like they should have been after being put into service.
    Unless it changed recently. Pinnacle doesn't come with OD reset standard, its an option.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    54

    Were finding a professional so easy...

    Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    Warranty = Piece of Mind = Hire a professional.

    This is not a DIY site.

    A professional will not only offer equipment warranties, but also labor warranties and also knows the building codes for your area.

    Get it done right the first time.
    I am shopping for a new system to see if updating can, in the long run, save money. I originally thought I'd call 3-4 dealers and see what they say. This has expanded to several more as the first few outright contradicted each other and seemed to be more interested in short profits than a long term relationship. The lack of consistency & knowledge was shocking. All I want to do is find someone I can trust to make a good, honest proposal that'll do what I need at a fair price and with good workmanship. Didn't that was unreasonable, but so far........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event