Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self Install

The Weil McLain Ultra, is up to 98% efficient(at low temp), is also direct vent, comes with outdoor reset standard. And has a 15 Year heat exchanger warranty.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The Weil McLain Ultra, is up to 98% efficient(at low temp), is also direct vent, comes with outdoor reset standard. And has a 15 Year heat exchanger warranty.
    I'm leery of the aluminum heat exchanger. I'll be on well water... should I be concerned? I talked to a Weil contractor. He said he's had serveral issues in the area. I'm thinking it may be due to water quality. To be sure, I was going to target stainless steel instead.

I have 1, possibaly 2 on well water, no problems.
    PH balance should be checked before installing any mod/con boiler.
    Plus it sgould be checked yearly, also for any boiler, conventional or mod/con.

What kind of trouble did he tell you he was having?
    Contractor locator map

I have 1, possibaly 2 on well water, no problems.
    PH balance should be checked before installing any mod/con boiler.
    Plus it sgould be checked yearly, also for any boiler, conventional or mod/con.

What kind of trouble did he tell you he was having?
    I believe he said something along the lines of premature leaking and startup leaks.

Utica Pinnacle, Knight, Weil McLain Gas Ultra, Munchkin, Buderus, Viessmann to name a few. All have very high efficiencies (for low temp applications, which is what the number they all advertise but few homes can achieve that because few homes are all low temp), all have outdoor temp reset, sealed combustion/direct vent and all require professional, knowledable installation technicians and service technicians. The true professional will first analyze the home, then the connected load, then select the boiler that's both appropriate for the job and one that he/his company is comfortable with installing and servicing. There's nothing more painful for a customer than installing a unit (DYI or otherwise) and having to call in a pro to get it fixed when it breaks and the pro who comes in did not install it. Cha-CHING! BOHICA baby (Bend Over, Here It Comes Again)
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    Utica Pinnacle, Knight, Weil McLain Gas Ultra, Munchkin, Buderus, Viessmann to name a few. All have very high efficiencies (for low temp applications, which is what the number they all advertise but few homes can achieve that because few homes are all low temp), all have outdoor temp reset, sealed combustion/direct vent and all require professional, knowledable installation technicians and service technicians. The true professional will first analyze the home, then the connected load, then select the boiler that's both appropriate for the job and one that he/his company is comfortable with installing and servicing. There's nothing more painful for a customer than installing a unit (DYI or otherwise) and having to call in a pro to get it fixed when it breaks and the pro who comes in did not install it. Cha-CHING! BOHICA baby (Bend Over, Here It Comes Again)
    Let me throw in a twist... do any of these guys make an electric boiler? Is there such a thing as a boiler which handles electric or gas (dual fuel within one unit)?

The power company offers low rates for dual fuel heating. According to my calculations, the rate is better than propane.

Quote Originally Posted by jrastama View Post
    I believe he said something along the lines of premature leaking and startup leaks.
    Neither of the 2 on wells has leaked yet.

Sounds like the boilers weren't checked like they should have been after being put into service.
    Contractor locator map

Neither of the 2 on wells has leaked yet.

Sounds like the boilers weren't checked like they should have been after being put into service.
    Unless it changed recently. Pinnacle doesn't come with OD reset standard, its an option.
    Contractor locator map

Were finding a professional so easy...

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    Warranty = Piece of Mind = Hire a professional.

This is not a DIY site.

A professional will not only offer equipment warranties, but also labor warranties and also knows the building codes for your area.

Get it done right the first time.
    I am shopping for a new system to see if updating can, in the long run, save money. I originally thought I'd call 3-4 dealers and see what they say. This has expanded to several more as the first few outright contradicted each other and seemed to be more interested in short profits than a long term relationship. The lack of consistency & knowledge was shocking. All I want to do is find someone I can trust to make a good, honest proposal that'll do what I need at a fair price and with good workmanship. Didn't that was unreasonable, but so far........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12