Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 22

Thread: Self Install

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21

    Self Install

    I'm considering doing a self install to replace my oil boiler with an LP. I'm leaning towards a mod/con. I've been doing quite a bit of research and I feel comfortable that I could do a good job with the help of relatives whom have some experience with these kinds of jobs. I'll have access to a guy with plumbing experience and a guy with electrical experience.

    I've talked to the city and I can pull the permits myself. This will allow me to have the inspections to double check that I've done everything correctly. Ultimately, I think the big difference in today vs. post-install will be the new venting. Going out the side wall, I don't expect it to be a significant issue.

    That said, I see several manufacturers do not offer a warranty for self installers. Does anyone have a suggestion for which manufacturers I should be considering?

    At this point, the Knight is my front runner. The problem is there's no local dealer in my area. So I'm somewhat concerned about getting parts going forward.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,176
    Warranty = Piece of Mind = Hire a professional.

    This is not a DIY site.

    A professional will not only offer equipment warranties, but also labor warranties and also knows the building codes for your area.

    Get it done right the first time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Altmar, New York, United States
    Posts
    4,529

    permits?

    Quote Originally Posted by jrastama View Post
    I'm considering doing a self install to replace my oil boiler with an LP. I'm leaning towards a mod/con. I've been doing quite a bit of research and I feel comfortable that I could do a good job with the help of relatives whom have some experience with these kinds of jobs. I'll have access to a guy with plumbing experience and a guy with electrical experience.

    I've talked to the city and I can pull the permits myself. This will allow me to have the inspections to double check that I've done everything correctly. Ultimately, I think the big difference in today vs. post-install will be the new venting. Going out the side wall, I don't expect it to be a significant issue.

    That said, I see several manufacturers do not offer a warranty for self installers. Does anyone have a suggestion for which manufacturers I should be considering?

    At this point, the Knight is my front runner. The problem is there's no local dealer in my area. So I'm somewhat concerned about getting parts going forward.
    were do you live that a home owner (assuming that you are one) can legaly obtain a permit to install a boiler?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    Warranty = Piece of Mind = Hire a professional.

    This is not a DIY site.

    A professional will not only offer equipment warranties, but also labor warranties and also knows the building codes for your area.

    Get it done right the first time.
    To be honest, I haven't ruled it out yet. I'm just concerned about getting the right contractor. If I do it myself, I know everything about it. Some of the guys I've talked to on the phone don't see to understand what mod/cons are all about. They also all seem to contradict each other. Not very encouraging.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    were do you live that a home owner (assuming that you are one) can legaly obtain a permit to install a boiler?
    I talked to the city of Duluth, MN and told them exactly what I want to do. The guy told me that as long as I'm the home owner and it's a single family home that I can pull the permits. No problem, he said, I just need to come down the the office to get them.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Altmar, New York, United States
    Posts
    4,529
    wow!! if i were still in bizz i would move to mn.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by jrastama View Post
    To be honest, I haven't ruled it out yet. I'm just concerned about getting the right contractor. If I do it myself, I know everything about it. Some of the guys I've talked to on the phone don't see to understand what mod/cons are all about. They also all seem to contradict each other. Not very encouraging.
    You are on the right track by talking to the contractors. I'm certain that you will find several professionals in your area that you will feel comfortable with.

    Contradiction is human nature Invite contractors in so they can SEE the project. HVAC cannot be qouted or sold over the phone.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,876
    Lot of places the home owner may pull his own permits, and do his own work.

    Contractors can have enough trouble piping a mod/con up properly, let alone setting it up properly.

    Wouldn't recommend DIY installing one with help from others.
    Nor, to get one that has no local support.

    As close as I'll get to pricing is this.
    You end up calling a contractor out to find oout why it stopped working in December. He charges you 1000 bucks to tell you whats wrong because he has no training on it, and it takes him a day to figure it out.(and he really didn't want to look at it in the first place) And you find out that you have to pay for an expensive part, plus over night shipping, plus find out that it was something you did that caused it, and the boiler has to be repiped. So your without heat for a week, because they sent the wrong part, and the part you need is on back order.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Lot of places the home owner may pull his own permits, and do his own work.

    Contractors can have enough trouble piping a mod/con up properly, let alone setting it up properly.

    Wouldn't recommend DIY installing one with help from others.
    Nor, to get one that has no local support.

    As close as I'll get to pricing is this.
    You end up calling a contractor out to find oout why it stopped working in December. He charges you 1000 bucks to tell you whats wrong because he has no training on it, and it takes him a day to figure it out.(and he really didn't want to look at it in the first place) And you find out that you have to pay for an expensive part, plus over night shipping, plus find out that it was something you did that caused it, and the boiler has to be repiped. So your without heat for a week, because they sent the wrong part, and the part you need is on back order.
    BINGO!!!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by jrastama View Post
    I'm considering doing a self install to replace my oil boiler with an LP. I'm leaning towards a mod/con. I've been doing quite a bit of research and I feel comfortable that I could do a good job with the help of relatives whom have some experience with these kinds of jobs. I'll have access to a guy with plumbing experience and a guy with electrical experience.
    .
    Are you willing to bet yours and your families lives on this? Call a pro

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by obxtech View Post
    Are you willing to bet yours and your families lives on this? Call a pro
    Great point. Taking that into consideration, I'll definitely be having the system professionally installed. I'll probably have to sacrifice and go with a less efficient system, but it will be nice to have the professional service behind it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    439
    If your going from oil to propane, then me personally I would reccomend getting a Utica boiler. Granted its a little more expensive upfront but in the long term it should pay for itself. And with it being 95% efficient it vents out with PVC pipe, and has an outdoor air sensor that resets the boiler water temp based on outside conditions.

    Utica Boiler UB95M-200
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaladin View Post
    If your going from oil to propane, then me personally I would reccomend getting a Utica boiler. Granted its a little more expensive upfront but in the long term it should pay for itself. And with it being 95% efficient it vents out with PVC pipe, and has an outdoor air sensor that resets the boiler water temp based on outside conditions.

    Utica Boiler UB95M-200
    What's the benefit of this unit over the Knight or Munchkin? Is it that it doesn't need primary/secondary piping?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event