Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My thermostat thinks its smarter than me?

I'm a relatively new homeowner. In the past, when I programmed the thermostat to a particular temperature at a time, the A/C would come on at that time if the current temp was above the programmed temp. But in the new house, the A/C would come on several hours ahead of the programmed schedule. I resorted to turning the entire unit off when I left the house in the morning to keep it from running when no one was home. After doing some research, I realize that there's a computer that is trying to anticipate the time/temperature I set. But I didn't want the A/C to run for hours before it was scheduled - I wanted it to start running when it was programmed to. This would be nice technology if energy were free but instead it's a major hassle and probably part of the reason my electric bills were so high. Why should the A/C start running at 7 if I'm not going to bed until 10?

So, I found out how to disable this stupid "feature." Guess the thermostat wasn't so smart after all.

Some people want their house cooled when they arrive at 6:00.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

It does that because if you want your home to be 72 at 9 at night for example and it is 80 in the room when it starts its going to be more like 1030, 11 by the time it achieves that. It calculates you want 72 degrees when you get home and in order to achieve that temperature at that designated time, its gonna have to come on sooner

Right, I understand what it's trying to do - and if electricity were free, it'd probably be convenient. Instead its just wasteful.

So what was the point of your post? An atta-boy?

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    So what was the point of your post? An atta-boy?
    You remember that movie, 2001: a space odssey? Where the computer goes crazy and kills everyone except for one dude, who then takes out the computer before it can do him in? That's my point.

Although since I adjusted the thermostat, it still seems to be operating with a mind of its own. Maybe I spoke too soon and I will ultimately be outwitted by it.

My thermostat thinks its smarter than me

Actually in this case, it appears it is, if you dont want a programmable to do what it is programmed to accomplish, just dont use that feature, Use the "hold" feature. And then you can fire it up at the end of the day, and if lucky it may reach set point by the time you go to bed.

It's def. an entertaining post. Got a laugh out of it thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
    You remember that movie, 2001: a space odssey? Where the computer goes crazy and kills everyone except for one dude, who then takes out the computer before it can do him in? That's my point.

Although since I adjusted the thermostat, it still seems to be operating with a mind of its own. Maybe I spoke too soon and I will ultimately be outwitted by it.
    Thank you. This is an entertaining thread.

BTW, if electricity was free, there would not be any set back stats.

Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post

Yes I do and you have a valid point, I have lost countless coustomers because their thermostats got pissed and killed them.
    Last edited by Tiger93rsl; 07-27-2008 at 11:39 PM.

You are just scratching the surface

See my thread

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...ght=conspiracy

Funny I mention 2001 also. The reason for the computer going beserk
    in 2001 is because it had been programmed to lie. (You had to read
    the book to understand that.)

And our digitial thermostats have been programmed to lie.

Thus they may decide to kill us, just to resolve their moral
    dilemma.

If it is a Honeywell it may be set on the SMART RESPONSE with will do that. just need to shut off that program.

Most people like the Adaptive Intelligent Recovery feature.
    For the 1% that don't, it is easy to turn off.

The annoying people are the ones that keep it 75º during the day, then want the AC to cool their master bedroom suite down to 65º by their 10:30pm bedtime, and whine about the adaptive recovery starting the cooldown at 4:30pm when it is 100º outside...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast