Best way to add return?

I am going to have the HVAC company add a return to our master bedroom. Obviously they are going to offer suggestions on how to accomplish this, but I wanted to get some ideas on how its usually done in existing construction.

This room sits over the garage, so there is access from underneath. Is it possible to cut the subfloor under the wall that I want the return in and slide the ductwork up into it? I would prefer the return be at the top of the wall. There is also a closet on that same wall, so I suppose a hole could be cut in the floor of the closet and duct/flex ran up the wall in the closet. Id prefer not to do it this way, but if thats the only option, then I will do it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by acobra289 View Post
    This room sits over the garage, so there is access from underneath. Is it possible to cut the subfloor under the wall that I want the return in and slide the ductwork up into it? I would prefer the return be at the top of the wall. There is also a closet on that same wall, so I suppose a hole could be cut in the floor of the closet and duct/flex ran up the wall in the closet. Id prefer not to do it this way, but if thats the only option, then I will do it.
    Assuming stud/drywall construction...

Yes, many returns are run in between 18 or 24" centered studs, either from below or above. Since the depth of the duct is only 3", you might want to consider more than one.

As for getting the air all the way back to the existing system, your options include running a duct through the attic, through the garage ceiling/room floor (assuming the joists run in the correct direction), through a bump-out or bump-in (small framed box inside or outside your current walll). I would be wary of just running the duct along the garage ceiling, even if code allows it in your area.

-HF

18" on center????

do it in metal.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Yes, typical 2x4 studs with drywall. I think they are 16" on center. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in the original post.

Unfortunately, running the duct/flex along the garage ceiling will probably have to do. The joists do not run in the correct direction. And also, the new return duct will have to go under a drain line and a current return duct to get to the main return trunk line.

The new duct will be pretty straight until it gets to where it will connect with the main return trunk. Then it will have to make about 50 or 60 degree turn to make the connection. Is this to much of a radius? I assume you want to keep flex bends as subtle as possible.

Thanks to those who have responded.
    Last edited by acobra289; 07-28-2008 at 12:38 AM. Reason: additional info

The contractor will or should shall i say make the connection with an adjustable metal elbow in order to prevent any stress or collapsing from occurring