Help with Goodman Unit TVX / ORRIFICE?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help with Goodman Unit TVX / ORRIFICE?

Hello I have a 14 seer 3 ton goodman unit that has a 4 ton blower and 4 to 5 ton coil. My installer installed a TXV on the unit but didnt not take out the factory oriffice flow rater from the unit. Is this right someone else told me its one or the other but not both. Please help thanks guys.

the piston should be removed

but the TXV kit may be an installation that just screws onto the same location are you sure he left the piston in there?
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

On Goodman , and most other units, the piston is removed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for the reply yes I am sure. What effect would this have on the system your right about the tvx just screwing on under it is the orrifice. Should I have it removed right away? Or can it wait?

Its lowering your capacity. And your efficiency.
    They may have had to add charge because they left it in.
    Have it removed ASAP.
    If they give you some BS excuse, or reason to leave it in.
    Tell them to show you in the install manual where it says to leave it in.
    They won't be able to.
    Contractor locator map

I've often wondered about this scenario. Rheem/Ruud uses, or at least used to, an over bored piston in conjunction with a TXV on their flex coils. We were told this was to more evenly distribute the TXV metered refrigerant to the distribution tubes.

Since Goodman coils used on systems that are higher then 13 SEER are designed for higher capacity 13 SEER systems, they therefore have oversized pistons for the higher capacity systems. For example, this 3 ton system is using a coil that has a piston that is designed for use with a 5 ton (13 SEER) system.

Since the piston is so oversized for the 3 ton system, will it really have any adverse affect being in the system after a TXV?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

The orifice that Rheem uses, is bigger then you would use for a metering device.
    I have a chart some where.
    The orfice they use for a 2 ton, as I recall is bigger then a piston for a 5 ton unit.

Balancing orfices have been used in refrigeration for a long time. They are always big.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The orifice that Rheem uses, is bigger then you would use for a metering device.
    I have a chart some where.
    The orfice they use for a 2 ton, as I recall is bigger then a piston for a 5 ton unit.

Balancing orfices have been used in refrigeration for a long time. They are always big.
    So, as long as the orifice of a piston is larger then the most amount of refrigerant a txv is going to allow into a coil, why would it be a concern?

Its still a restriction. So it will reduce the amount of refrigerant flow to the evap under high loads.

A balancing orfice, partialy covers the distributor tube openings. to ensure equal feed to each circuit. Which hopefully, the engineers have taken into consideration the extra restriction.

Leaving the piston in the piston holder won't give a balanced feed, since the distributor tubes are down in the holder further. The piston doesn't contact them.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Its still a restriction. So it will reduce the amount of refrigerant flow to the evap under high loads.

A balancing orfice, partialy covers the distributor tube openings. to ensure equal feed to each circuit. Which hopefully, the engineers have taken into consideration the extra restriction.

Leaving the piston in the piston holder won't give a balanced feed, since the distributor tubes are down in the holder further. The piston doesn't contact them.
    I am not defending or arguing any particular point with this one, just trying to determine what affect that oversized piston would have. The Rheem/Ruud set up was just a regular ole piston housing with an oversized orifice piston.

I still don't think a piston sized for a 5 ton system is going to be a restriction for a 3 ton system under any load. I just don't think that txv is ever going to allow more refrigerant to pass then that 5 ton piston is going to let pass unrestricted. Hmmmmm, maybe I can check this out on my little 1.5 ton 13 SEER heat pump I just put last year.

This gets interesting , if the customer would provide model /serial # so i could do research during the weekend.
    Leave piston in ?
    take out for TXV ?
    Hello I have a 14 seer 3 ton Goodman unit that has a 4 ton blower and 4 to 5 ton coil. My installer installed a TXV on the unit but didn't not take out the factory orifice flow rater from the unit. Is this right someone else told me its one or the other but not both. Please help thanks guys.
    Matt 7:12 The Golden Rule
    "Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This summary of all is taught in the law and the prophets.

Just have the piston removed asap. Meanwhile these guys will tear their systems apart and do some experimentation, and get back to you on the possible effects. LOL See what you started, now they are not going to get any rest until they know for sure, I guess there is something to be said for always being ready to learn.

Maybe Robo will put a Piston in his this weekend yet, and tell you how much of a difference it makes.

Have yours removed.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast