Thread: conditioning the garage space?

Post Likes

conditioning the garage space?

I have a quick question. I am in the process of building a new home and the house is going to be sprayed with spray foam and they are going to do the garage for me. I was thinking of maybe having 2 vents run there, keeping them closed except if I had some work to do in the garage I could have the AC or heat blowing in.

My question is if I have 2 vents and close them obviously they still leak but does the rest of the first floor suffer because of having the vents there. Thanks for help.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acnoob1 View Post
    I have a quick question. I am in the process of building a new home and the house is going to be sprayed with spray foam and they are going to do the garage for me. I was thinking of maybe having 2 vents run there, keeping them closed except if I had some work to do in the garage I could have the AC or heat blowing in.

My question is if I have 2 vents and close them obviously they still leak but does the rest of the first floor suffer because of having the vents there. Thanks for help.
    Where does the makeup air come from? You can't put a return in the garage.

What if the ducts backdraft while a car is running in the garage, or your are using spray paint....

-HF

Post Likes

Garage hvac

Ask your hvac installer about this. I know that back in Illinois there were some codes in effect that didn't allow the home heating and cooling equipment to also condition the garage. Make sure it's allowable before you attempt it. As far as the vents go, again make sure your equipment is sized properly to handle the additional load. Whenever you close vents you affect the balance of the system. Perhaps some bypass ductwork will be required. And personally I think that a conditioned garage is a great idea. Even if you have to use an alternate system.

Good luck to you.

Post Likes
    A couple things come to mind with this question.

1) Even with the registers closed they leak, this air they leak was in your home, now it is in your garage, so in effect your garage is pressurized and your house is depressurized. So any exhaust fumes from your car will find its way into your home. Vehicles can produce an enormous amount of CO when first started in the winter (cold engine).

2) It seems that you are trying to building an energy efficient home (spray inso). So keep the conditioned air in your home.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Just put a ductless mini split in the garage. Better yet, radiant in the floor and mini split A/C only for cooling. Had that set up in my last house and I miss that garage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EverettsHVAC View Post
    Just put a ductless mini split in the garage. Better yet, radiant in the floor and mini split A/C only for cooling. Had that set up in my last house and I miss that garage.
    Yep thats what I would do. If you want to go Electric heat depends on layout of your garage put in Lexin panels in ceiling and add mini ductless mini split for A/C. Go to www.lexin.com. I think that is correct address for lexin.

Post Likes
    thanks for the info, the mini sounds like a great option. Definitely do not want exhaust in the house

Post Likes
    Supply or return duct serving both the occupied space and garage would be against code.
    As the others said, mini split is your best option.

Post Likes
    http://e-star.com/publications/andre...ouse_issue.pdf

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/04/20/St...van_is_l.shtml

As previously typed the separate system/unit is the only safe alternative.

And as for the silver lining thing, if a contractor did put ducts from the living area into the garage and there was injury or death your heirs would have a whopper of a law suit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in