EWC4 with ICP Heat Pump and Variable Speed AH

Hello

I've been battling with my contractor for a few weeks now about my new ICP Tempstar 2 stage heat pump and Variable air handler. he chose to zone my house using a ewc bmplus 3000 and 2 ewc URD zone dampers... (2 zones,no bypass) everything was looking good and all insulated properly but, after sending his guys to my house several times they couldnt get it to work right. he left me with one zone operating the entire house. being a handyman and pretty concerned I took the literature and started reading and noticed that the bmplus3000 zone board was not compatible with a 2 stage HP! (I'm thinking this guy and his men are idiots at this point.) I went to ewc website and noticed the ewc uzc4 was the zone panel he should have got. I suggested this to him and he got angry with me...he said it was true that the board was probably the one to use but i shouldnt be concerned about it!! he said he would come back, after a week he said the panel hasnt come in and needless to say he has never come back. unfortunately he got most of his money..but not all of it. now he was also supposed to connect my hydro air on zone 2 and my basboard heat on zone 1 for backup heat sources. I am thinking I need two 3H/2C T-stats to accomplish this but I am a unsure how to go about wiring for the hydro air.. he left the aquastat disconnected and not sure which wires from the thermostat go to it. I am using honeywell zone valves for hotwater heat. I will need a 24vdc relay for auxillary heat for the baseboard.
    any comments or direction is greatly appreciated.

You got a headache coming.
    The UZC4 panel isn't for what you want either.
    The panel is based on using the same aux heat source for both zones.

What provides heat for defrost for zone 1, or are you going to lock out the heat pump at 40 so it doesn't run at temps requiring defrost.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I dont have the UZC4 yet... what other options do I have for zone controlling if i already have the ewc urd dampers? i was going to manually change t-stats to aux heat when temps got too cold.

What should have been done. Is a hydro coil for aux heat both floors.

Now. You need ot use external relays, and make the wiring more complicated then it needs to be.
    Plus, your losing a lot of the savings the HP could have given you.

You need someone that is good with low voltage control wiring. And your contractor doesn't sound like he or any of his people meet that requirement.

You may need to get another contractor to come and fix things up.
    Contractor locator map

yeah unfortunately the HP is the add on, the house already had hydro air 2nd floor and baseboard 1st floor. my Ac unit went after 14 years so I figured i would replace it with a HP and variable speed air handler. Now I have all this sophisticated equipment with an idiot for a contractor. I am low on funds for this project and figured i would try and tackle it myself because i dont know if another contractor will want to get involved with someone's half assed setup. The ewc dampers are already there, so I am also worried about compatibilty issues if i choose a different brand of zone control panel.
    also, my fear is the aquastat for the hydro air.. how that should be connected? there is high voltage (110) for it and does the t-stat run through it to operate the fan? i guess i could try to beg another contractor to come do the finalization but how will i know if he can do the wiring?

Your going to need another contractor.

The VS blower is controlled a bit differently then standard blowers. So there will be some additional control work needed there.

You have the makings of a good system. But the contractor doesn't sound up to it.
    There are several ways it can be done. But its not for the beginning control person.

You'll almost have to get the EZC4 panel.
    For what you want to do, I think you also have the wrong dampers. The one model has end switches, which would have been great to use to control your seperate aux heat for each zone.

Your current contractor didn't thinkout teh control system.

When you call other contractors, make sure they understand what you want before they just send someone out.
    Contractor locator map

hey there

i went to the ewc site and an end switch can be purchased and will fit right over the actuator without any tools. How would you go about accomplishing this task with end switches? i read that they can control hydronic zone valves and circulators but how would you go about using them?
    Hey I'm in the southeastern part of NY..need a side job? lol
    thanks for your input. i appreciate it.

It gets a bit more indepth then is easily explained over the internet.
    And I charge more then your contractor.

But, a hint.
    The end switches act as a redirct, so the correct aux heat is energized.

Afraid we aren't allowed to give info that can be used as DIY .
    Contractor locator map

yeah I hear ya... I would pay someone what it takes to get it done right because ... how many times am I going to fix something before it is fixed? it will all add up if I dont get the right guy the first time...look at me now lol ....so if the right guy cost more...then come on down!!!
    anyway, thanks for your input...

Your welcome, and good luck.
    Contractor locator map