Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cellulose Insulation.... Check This Out

I know this is off the wall.... Go ahead admit it..... The stuff is awesome !!!

I found this on my web page and forgot about it...

Note the dryer duct...

Note the stud on the right with the 3" bow....

No.. Gaps.... Voids or Compressions...

We spray all the foams... as well...

What is you guys thoughts on this ????
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is it mold food?

I only use rigid for dryers myself

I think energy conservation is great, when it's done properly. Properly means balanced. Balanced means tight enough that energy is not being wasted but not so tight that indoor air quality suffers. Too many people with too little knowledge selling too many things that aren't what people need. For example, if you ask almost anyone what they would do to get some fresh air into a room that's too stuffy, what would they say? "Open a window" is the universal answer. So why, why, why, are the first words out of a person's mouth when they want to save energy "replace the old windows"? We're doing a house right now that's got isonene for insulation. House is too tight already and we're now specifying HRV's for the house. Somewhere there's a balance point but I'm not sure making the house so tight it doesn't breathe is the best answer. 7-11 air exchanges per day, depending on the size of the home, good quality EAC, UVL in the ducts, tight walls and you've probably got a pretty well balanced home. So yes, I like your stuff if it doesn't bend the house structure all out of plumb, provided the rest of the house isn't too tight.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    Is it mold food?

I only use rigid for dryers myself
    Boric Acid & Ammonium Sulfate ???? No... mold food!!!!

I sure hope that dryer duct didn't stay in there!

Well I should have known this would have went in the wrong direction !!

Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    I sure hope that dryer duct didn't stay in there!
    I certainly didn't do the mechanicals on this home in this picture....
    I am sure there is plumbing in this outside wall as well...........
    And this picture is atleast 8 or may 10 years old....

I just posted this picture to see how much criticisms it would get..... Most HVAC guys "Hates" cellulose..... When it is really a great product and actually compliments the HVAC !!!!!!!!!!!
    YEA.. I know it takes $$$$$ out of their bucket.......

I will bet 99% of the HVAC guys out there DO NOT even take the time to do a "Thermal Bypass Inspection"
    This should be mandatory, or just out of courtesy to the homeowner to make sure what and how it was sized is satisfactory....

Who really should do the "Thermal Bypass Inspection" ???
    The builder, HVAC guy, inspector, the job jonnie guy...???

I don't like loose fell cellulose because it's messy and it would burn my cuts. And in this region cellulose is used in mostly lower end projects and so carries that stigmatism(sp) also.

In the mid/late eighties a radient barrier company (Parsec) came to town. They would do a DOE on the house and guarantee the TD if the recommended size unit(s) was installed. None of the larger, established companies would down size the equipment so we took the gamble. One particular home was approx 4000 under air w/ volume ceilings in main living area. Installed systems 2-2ton Bryant 568 cond on 517 air handlers. 14 years later we replaced the systems with 2 Lennox 2 ton system. Oh yeah my bucket stayed at the same level.

Even today when we do foamed houses the biggest front end savings for the home owner will be the reduction in equipment cost.

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by kenny mac View Post
    ..... Most HVAC guys "Hates" cellulose.....
    ...???
    Please explain further.

You are wrong about it not being mold food, after a few years the Boric Acid and other chemicals dissipate and then all you have is dried up paper. This stuff is nasty and dusty it should never be put in a home. It works OK in as a fire retardant when it is glued to beams and walls on metal buildings but never in a home.

There are too many quality products available to be messing with cellulose products.

Your Wrong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    You are wrong about it not being mold food, after a few years the Boric Acid and other chemicals dissipate and then all you have is dried up paper. This stuff is nasty and dusty it should never be put in a home. It works OK in as a fire retardant when it is glued to beams and walls on metal buildings but never in a home.

There are too many quality products available to be messing with cellulose products.
    All the studies have proven a 300 year permanency rate.....
    What product comes even close to the performance and the economics of cellulose... YOUR answer........ NOTHING !!!

NOW tell us where you think the boric acid go ?????

NOW tell us where your high moisture source is coming from for the mold ????

I guess you enjoy the misery and irritation of fiberglass.... and have you had a doctor look at your lungs to see if you have some big ol white nasty tumors.

Do you expose you "KIDS" to fiberglass.....

I don't even allow my family to walk down the isles at Home Depot where that crap is piled up !!!

jax1 this is a quote from classial ././/.. I rest my case !

Quote Originally Posted by jax1 View Post
    Please explain further.
    Originally Posted by classical View Post

KM

I am not trying to take away or make light of your passion or dedication.

Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Management, Ball State University, Muncie, IN 47306, USA.

Mold investigations were conducted in four buildings that had been insulated with wet spray-applied cellulose insulation (WSACI). Bulk WSACI samples were collected and analyzed by quantitative polymerase chain reaction (QPCR) methods. Airborne mold was evaluated using both Burkard total mold spore and Andersen culturable/viable sampling methods. Although reportedly treated with biocidal borates, QPCR analyses indicated that elevated concentrations of mold cells (reported as spore equivalents per gram) may be present in WSACI. QPCR analyses showed the following: (1) very high concentrations of Penicillium chrysogenum in samples from two of four buildings; (2) very high concentrations of Stachybotrys chartarum in samples from one building and a more moderate presence in a second; (3) moderately high concentrations of Aspergillus versicolor in samples from one building and more moderate concentrations in a second; (4) the presence of the opportunistic pathogen, Aspergillus fumigatus, in samples from three of the four buildings, and (5) the presence of 22 of 23 target mold species. Elevated airborne total mold spore concentrations were observed in all four of the buildings investigated. Culturable/viable airborne mold concentrations were moderately elevated in three of the four buildings. Mold genera/types present were relatively consistent among airborne mold samples collected by both methods and bulk sample analyses. Results of this study suggest that WSACI has the potential to cause elevated airborne mold levels in buildings where it has been applied and pose significant mold exposure and public health risks.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny mac View Post
    All the studies have proven a 300 year permanency rate.....
    What product comes even close to the performance and the economics of cellulose... YOUR answer........ NOTHING !!!

NOW tell us where you think the boric acid go ?????

NOW tell us where your high moisture source is coming from for the mold ????

I guess you enjoy the misery and irritation of fiberglass.... and have you had a doctor look at your lungs to see if you have some big ol white nasty tumors.

Do you expose you "KIDS" to fiberglass.....

I don't even allow my family to walk down the isles at Home Depot where that crap is piled up !!!

I always hear duct board being condemned for fibres that you will be inhaling, I have never read any kind of study saying it though.

It sure seems it would be unhelathy working with it all the time though without proper protection. I think the same could be said about asbestos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast