Thread: Goodman CK series - Replacement Copeland Compressor

Post Likes

Goodman CK series - Replacement Copeland Compressor

Weird problem, wonder if there is a second opinion out there please?

Our A/C compressor unit broke and after the outrageous price we were given for a compressor replacement (over $2000), we did some research and found a licensed A/C guy who does weekend work willing to swap it out - we got the parts. He came to the store with us and we purchased the compressor unit today.

The old unit is a Copeland CR42K6-PFV-230 and the new unit is a CR41KQ-PFV-980WB. Sound close enough? The specs on the units seem very similar. We don't need the heater though on the new one so it is left disconnected. Very close physical footprint and it bolted in OK.

He swapped out the compressor unit firstly removing the R22 with a special unit that attached and after evacuating the old R22, attached a vacuum unit, then disconnected the old compressor, re-connected the new one and welded the new pipe-work in. So far so good (apart from a couple of leaks from his welding, which he fixed before starting).

He then put in the R22 in the system (apparently there isn't too much of a scientific way to measure how much went in, although he felt confident it was probably 6 pounds but he had no way of really knowing.

He started up the unit and it started straight away and seemed good. Cool air started flowing into the house and there was a 17 degree variance between house temp and cool air that was in the late 50's. The temp in the house was about 74 to begin and we had the thermostat set to 66 to get it going. After a short while and his last minuted fiddles, the compressor tried to start again- we heard the buzz but the compressor unit would not start. The fan ran, but the compressor did not. So he swapped the capacitor and still no difference. Then he tried a hard start kit - still no good.

Then he measured the compressor unit and told me the internal overload in the compressor was coming on (open circuits right?) apparently to stop the compressor from overload. Weird. Then he evacuated the unit of a little R22 and tried again. Still no good.

After an hour or more he departed saying the compressor was probably bad. Remembering it is brand new, purchased from a reputable local agent of Emerson this seems strange. We agreed to run it for a day and see what happens.

The thermostat inside is set to 69 but reading about 74. We also tried resetting the thermostat and swapping out batteries.

The scenario is that the thermostat seems to be working and starts the fan unit inside to move air around the ducts and the fan on the condensing unit outside periodically starts but blows cold air out not hot, indicating that the compressor is not starting (and we cannot hear the compressor).

So the outside unit periodically starts, runs for a while and then stops (presumably because the overload protection protects the compressor from starting).

The compressor unit draws 16.2 amps running and I was told that the pressure is 210 PSI and the suction side is 60PSI. I do not know what the grade or spec of the coil in the furnace is though (or whether that even matters).

Any experts care to have a stab at what is wrong? We are not sure whether it is the compressor (wrong replacement? - see above model), the A/C guys work, or something else.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Wanted to know whether we are being taken for a ride... and what we should do next.

Thank you very much.

Post Likes
    First of all , EDIT OUT YOUR PRICING AND READ THE SITE RULES. What was the cause of orginal compressor failure? Obviously you are not sure. You need to call a service technician out to diagnose, and preferrably not some Side jobber. There are a lot of possible causes, none of which you can fix yourself, nor can I list due to site rules of NO DIY.

Post Likes
    Well. Your screwed.
    You bought the compressor yourself. So you gonna have trouble getting warranty on it.
    But most likely, its his work.
    Side job work is a buyer beware situation.

Now you know whay companies charge so much more. Thye would stand behind their work.

Your side job johhny just left you with a comp that isn't working, and told you to try it for a few days. They don't fix them selves. It will burn its self out, and he might help you return it for warranty. Then when he puts the next one in and it doesn't work right. Your back to square one.

Edit out your price from the company, pricing is not allowed here.
    Go luck with side job johnny.

Post Likes
    sorry about ypur moonlighter,but

let this be a valuable lesson
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Post Likes
    That outragious price all of a sudden dont sound so outrageous. Best to go with the licensed and insured guy that has went through all his training and hard work to get to where he was, and yes that does cost something. sorry about your misfortune but thats what happens when you rely on moonlighters.

He had no scale, No metion of pulling a vacume, no drier, probably don't know what a micron gauge is, charged system and ran it.
    Last edited by obxtech; 07-26-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Post Likes
    God Bless,

Who ever comes behind this..............

"Value our Differences"

Post Likes
    Let him know that next time you would atleast like some WD-40 with the shaft.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by obxtech View Post

He had no scale, No mention of pulling a vacuum, no drier, probably don't know what a micron gauge is, charged system and ran it.
    Looking at the data plate for the charge, and then charging by that, would be the scientific way to charge it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Looking at the data plate for the charge, and then charging by that, would be the scientific way to charge it.
    **One thousand one......One Thousand two.....**

Post Likes
    I love it when a plan comes together.

A sscientific way to charge; how about an electronic scale.

Sorry but HAhaHAhaHAhaHA

Post Likes
    But if he went out and bought a scale. He'd have to charge more.

Post Likes
    He then put in the R22 in the system (apparently there isn't too much of a scientific way to measure how much went in, although he felt confident it was probably 6 pounds but he had no way of really knowing.
    This raises a red flag; aside from weighing it in, there are other ways to verify that the charge is correct.

I would call a real service company to check and adjust the charge.

Post Likes
    This what we need before we can even think of replacing your compressor properly. So yeah it cost a little bit to get it done. How many items did this guy have? I know I left some things out but you get the idea.

Service truck
    CFC Certificate
    Recovery unit
    Recovery tank
    Torch set
    Torch bottles
    Nitrogen bottle
    Oxygen
    Acetylene
    Nitrogen
    Electronic Scale
    Refrigerant manifold set
    Micron Gage
    Leak detector
    Digital Thermometer
    Vacuum Pump
    Digital Multimeter
    Amp Probe
    Liabitily Insurance
    Workmans Comp
    Hvac License

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by obxtech View Post
    This what we need before we can even think of replacing your compressor properly. So yeah it cost a little bit to get it done. How many items did this guy have? I know I left some things out but you get the idea.

Service truck
    CFC Certificate
    Recovery unit
    Recovery tank
    Torch set
    Torch bottles
    Nitrogen bottle
    Oxygen
    Acetylene
    Nitrogen
    Electronic Scale
    Refrigerant manifold set
    Micron Gage
    Leak detector
    Digital Thermometer
    Vacuum Pump
    Digital Multimeter
    Amp Probe
    Liabitily Insurance
    Workmans Comp
    Hvac License
    An education because we have to know,
    If we have the right compressor.
    How to properly install, wire, evacuate, and recharge the system.
    What other components need to be replaced or added when we change a compressor.
    How to troubleshoot a bad capacitor not just change it.
    How to troubleshoot a compressor when there is a problem.

OH AND LETS NOT FORGET WE NEED A PROFIT SO WE CAN BE THERE WHEN THERE IS A WARRANTY PROBLEM!!
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Well, at least we got enough of a blow by blow description to pretty much figure out what went wrong.

Can anyone say; "contaminants and partially blocked filter/drier?"
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Well, at least we got enough of a blow by blow description to pretty much figure out what went wrong.

well,um.............c'mon,robo I am sure he flowed nitro
    how could it be
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by spb View Post
    Weird problem, wonder if there is a second opinion out there please? after the outrageous price we were given for a compressor replacement (over $xxxx), we did some research and found a licensed A/C guy who does weekend work willing to swap it out, to make a long story short he screwed it up Wanted to know whether we are being taken for a ride... and what we should do next.
    you took yourself for an expensive non-productive ride

what you should do next is look in the mirror, tell yourself you blew that one!

then call a real HVAC company tell them what happened and see if they will fix your mistake!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post

Bet either the orfice is plugged or if an expansion vlv closed. Not allowing the refrigerant to cool the compressor.

They should of hired someone right away. There was probably nothing wrong with the old compressor. Ouch expensive but hey it's not my money being thrown away
    Not what it use to be

Post Likes
    You saved how much ??????????? yea best left to the guys that do it all day every day

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in