Thread: Anti-stratification system as replacement for zoned?

Post Likes

Anti-stratification system as replacement for zoned?

We're remodeling our Atlanta, GA, house, which means replacing the HVAC system. The house has a 1500 sf main floor with a 1500 sf daylight basement (only one wall is fully against ground). I would like to use a dual-fuel heating system (heat pump/gas) with regular a/c. The stairwell between the two floors will be open.

We found this article (attached) in the summer 2008 Fine Homebuilding that recommended this setup as a possible replacement for a zoned system. The HVAC contractors we've spoken with say they've never heard of such a setup.

My questions: Could this work? Is this setup common in other parts of the country? Or should I stop buying Fine Homebuilding and get a zoned system?

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Post Likes
    That might be practical in some climates but in a humid climate like Atlanta I doubt it would suffice. The problem with articles like you posted they don't discuss location and if they are recommending for A/C heat or both.

Do yourself and have a quality contractor install a high end zoned system. I would suggest a Bryant Evolution if you can find a competent contrcator. The key is find a contractor that is competnet and comfortable with their product; this is more important than brand.

Post Likes
    An interesting set up.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-26-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Deleted what doesn't apply.

Post Likes
    I think it would not do what you want it to do.I could be wrong.I live 90 miles south of atl. and a zone system would probally be your best bet.But I have been wrong a time or two.Good luck.

Post Likes
    The light bulb just came on.
    You have 3 exposed walls.

That would take a lot more then just 600 CFM.

Zoning is your best bet if you want to condition that basement.

Post Likes
    I forgot to mention that we will be finishing the basement into living space. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The light bulb just came on.
    You have 3 exposed walls.

That would take a lot more then just 600 CFM.

Zoning is your best bet if you want to condition that basement.

Post Likes
    The amount of heat, or cooling the basement needs, doesn't change, weather you have a zoning system installed, or the posted example.
    How well it heats or cools does though.
    For a finnished basement, you would be better off zoning it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in