Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    What do you have for an air handler, I suspect a gas furnace but you keep saying air handler. The coil you listed is a slab coil and would not generally be used with an air handler. An AH would be like a GMBE or an ARUF and would have a different coil model.

Yes, it is a gas furnace 70,000 in , 56,000 out .
    Yes the duct is R6 and the windows are double pane . I do have ceiling fans installed and we do use them . Not sure about the insulation,I want to say it is R-13.
    What evap temps do 13 seer units run ?
    Someone mentioned that 13 seer units do not run 40*
    Last edited by mikebaker1129; 07-26-2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Update information

Mike do yourself a big favor and pick up a TXV when you go by Goodman and install it. It is a little bit of a pain with that coil but well worth the effort.
    Your SC for that combination should be around 10 *. There is no need to convert from FPM to CFM, when you have your TESP look at the fan data chart and it will tell you about what you are moving for each fan speed setting. It is nice to know what velocity the air is moving but with a fan data chart and TESP you will be very close.

A 13 SEER unit can run a coil temp from mid 30's to mid 50's depending on the set up and the particular conditions at a given time. I have a 16 SEER two stage and I run around a 34* coil temp most of the time.

TESP, __.4 , __.5 , __.6 ,__.7 , __.8
    high__1310,_1273,_1202,_1129,_1039
    med h,1075,_1050,_1018,__967__904
    med l,__867__853___830__786___743

These are for your furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Mike, you have a partially blocked filter/drier now. Your superheat and subcooling are both high because there is a partial blockage in the OEM filter/drier.

You need to remove the existing filter/drier, preferably replace it with a piece of tubing and install a new filter/drier in the line between the condensing unit and the indoor coil.

Then you need to properly evacuate the system to 500 microns....no more guessing with only using your refrigerant gauges. Having had the system open to the atmosphere there is a good chance that your systems oil may have soaked up quite a bit of moisture. If this is the case, you may need to evacuate the system for 24 hours or so. Do whatever it takes to get the moisture out of that system.

After evacuation to 500 micron holds below 1000 micron for at least 15 minutes with the vacuum pump isolated from the system, refill the system with virgin refrigerant and charge to the proper superheat or install a txv and charge to 10 degree subcooling.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Robo is like the John Madden of air conditioning.

"When one player takes an opposing player to the ground it is called a tackle."

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Mike, you have a partially blocked filter/drier now. Your superheat and subcooling are both high because there is a partial blockage in the OEM filter/drier.

You need to remove the existing filter/drier, preferably replace it with a piece of tubing and install a new filter/drier in the line between the condensing unit and the indoor coil.

Then you need to properly evacuate the system to 500 microns....no more guessing with only using your refrigerant gauges. Having had the system open to the atmosphere there is a good chance that your systems oil may have soaked up quite a bit of moisture. If this is the case, you may need to evacuate the system for 24 hours or so. Do whatever it takes to get the moisture out of that system.

After evacuation to 500 micron holds below 1000 micron for at least 15 minutes with the vacuum pump isolated from the system, refill the system with virgin refrigerant and charge to the proper superheat or install a txv and charge to 10 degree subcooling.
    Thought I had already mentioned the drier but I see I took it out.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Are you using ceilings fans if not get them
    ceiling fan=taking hot air from the ceiling and distributing it downward, not a good thing

check with goodman on which orifice works with that combo

turn fan speed down to low or medium

i agree with replacing the drier

also a txv would be a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    ceiling fan=taking hot air from the ceiling and distributing it downward, not a good thing

check with goodman on which orifice works with that combo

Are you kidding me, a ceiling fan will make the air feel cooler by several degrees. Running a fan when you are not in a room is not efficent but while in the room is.
    turn fan speed down to low or medium

Until he knows what the TESP is setting the fan speed lower is of no benefit.

i agree with replacing the drier

also a txv would be a good idea

Okay fellas , I located my manometer, I just need to get a piece of tubing for it and verify air flow . Any thoughts that my R/A plenum might be to large ?
    I did some checking on my ductulator and seems that 26X16 is kinda large for 1200 CFM's .
    The filter drier is kinda small , it reminds me of the type that York installed in thier split systems about 8 or 9 years ago. I have had to take these out in the past and move them , but I am going to install this one in the attic . I think that could be a problem, but I am not refrigerating across the drier and wouldn't my suction tend to be low due to the restriction? My suction was high. I am going to weigh in the charge after I pull a deep vaccum as you suggested. That way if I do not know anything else is correct,I will know the charge is correct .
    Thanks fellas and I will keep you posted on the results.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    yes, running the ceiling fan in the summer is a "classical" mistake (no pun intended)

heat rises to the ceiling level in your house

your statement that using a ceiling fan makes the air feel cooler by several degrees is a falacy

pushing the heat down from the ceiling will actually bring the lower space temp UP

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    yes, running the ceiling fan in the summer is a "classical" mistake (no pun intended)

heat rises to the ceiling level in your house

your statement that using a ceiling fan makes the air feel cooler by several degrees is a falacy

pushing the heat down from the ceiling will actually bring the lower space temp UP

Mike I wouldn't do all that work until you install a TXV.

AM sorry but you are wrong ever here of a wind chill factor. Taking heat off the top of a room is very beneficial as it eliminates stratified air and evens out the temperatures throughout the house. If what you say is true we would not want to move air throughout the house let’s just cool a few cubic feet and leave it at that.

On a purely anecdotal note in my house if I turn off my ceiling fans I need to drop the temp by several degrees for comfort. With the fan on it is much more comfortable. There is a chart somewhere that I think Scuttle posted that shows the variance.

I will grant you if a system is set up wrong and does not lower dew point or RH running a fan is not helpful.

Measure your static first, and find out what your CFM is.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast