Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mike.
    Classical probably knows what your current OD temps are. But the rest of the country doesn't.
    Always include the ambients, when you post info.
    Also, your indoor wet bulb.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Hey BT missed that that was a2.5-ton the CLQ caught my eye went right by me.

I know what you mean.
    Contractor locator map

I did not realize the unit was a 2.5 !.
    Yes , I verified the piston sizes .
    No I did not check airflow or static . I believe I have a manometer at my storage . I am going to go get it !
    Yes ,flex duct ,but metal grilles .
    I am on the North East side of town in Huffman on the east side of Lake Houston .
    I did not check the fan speed ,but will .
    I think the problem now is a undersized condensor like beenthere suggested.
    You are correct ,I did not use a micron gauge just my gauges .
    I did not realize the unit was a 2.5 ton condensor and I should have 30 being BTU's, I should have noticed that it wasn't a "36"!
    I think that on Monday I am going to purchase a new C/U and be done with this mess !

If you can find the install manual. Then the static will help you to find out how many CFM its moving.
    Then you can tell if your able to move enough air for a 3 ton.
    Contractor locator map

I have the product installtion instructions but no product Data book .
    So I can only assume that 400 cfm/ ton that it is infact a 1200 cfm unit on high speed .
    I am sure that they did not change the speeds . I am going to go up and see .

Mike why not work on reducing the load instead of changing out a perfectly good unit.

Install solar screen on the windows, add attic insulation and a radiant barrier these are all things you can do easily and will cost about the same as a new condenser.

You can buy the paint from Sherwin Williams and rent the spray rig. The screens are cheap and can be bought most anywhere, I know several contractors that will make and install them. If not screen solar film I know of a great product called XO armor it has grades up to balistic grade yeah it will stop a bullet.

I can even arrange for you to rent a machine and blow in attic insulation yourself, Owen Coring low resign not that cellulose crap.

For comfort and utilites you want that condeser to be a small as possible and do the job.

Huffman is nice area; when I was young 1971 knew a guy that had a bad a** Falcon Wagon with a 260. Thing would pull wheelies and we ran it across the bridge across the lake at night with open headers. Man that brings back some memories.

The install manual usually has the fan data chart.
    I believe your air handler is rated for 3, or 3.5 ton.
    So on high, it would be trying to move more then 1200 CFM.
    Contractor locator map

BT he didn't say what air handler he has, that coil is a slab and it is a 3-ton 3.5-ton so matched with that condenser he really needs an expansion valve to get this thing under control. I imagine he has a gas furnace probably a GMH0453.

In that case. My Bad.
    Thanks for the correction.
    Contractor locator map

Yes , but this is a new home .I live just the other side of the lake ,very close to the bridge.You can see the bridge from the boat launch in our home owners association. Our house is 1532 sq ft.,I believe. Kinda makes me wonder who the contractor was that put this in . Some of you know the types that do residential installs in this area .
    I can't believe why someone would put a 2.5 ton on a house this big and did they even do a heat load calculation ? I know the last C/E class that I went to alot of things had changed and the importance of a heat load calculation was stressed and the sq ft/ ton theory is out the window . I am also in the city of Houston.I did not see any #'s on the airhandler .

Probably inside the panel.

RNC. The lowest priced contractor the builder could fine, for everything, including insulation.
    Contractor locator map

Mike if this is a new home you have double pane low E windows, the ducts are R-6 and the register boxes are sealed to the wall board. it alos means you have better sealing in general around the house and they had to perform a load calculation to be in compliance.

I run loads on every house I install equipment in and you would be suprised what the outcome is. Houses built in the early 70's with upgraded windows and insulation come in around 3-tons for 2000 sq.ft.

You most likely have R-22 or better in the attic and the walls are from R-11 to R-15 depending what kind of venner you have.

Are you using ceilings fans if not get them, you need to tweak the system you have and get it set up right. Making rash changes are not going to benefit you in the long run.

Okay in hand is the Model# for the air handler
    GMS8070 # GMS80703ANBA
    70,000 BTU with a output of 56,000 . It has a 1/3 HP motor. I do not have the data book for this ,but I will pick one up from Goodman on my way home from work .
    I will get my manometer and check static P on supply and return air . I also have a anemometer , I believe it measures in FPM not CFM , but I think I can convert it. I will have to do a average,then convert to CFM .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast