Thread: Should HI's perform SH and SC

Post Likes

Should HI's perform SH and SC

So, lets have some fun. What do you folks think about training home inspectors to determine the SH and SC of systems during the course of an inspection. The key would, of course, be the training or should the current standard of two temperatures (return and supply) and a general visual be enough.

Post Likes
    If a home inspector wished to increase his knowledge by becoming EPA certified, taking formal training in HVAC theory and application, and then apply that knowledge to his home inspections, I wouldn't have any heartburn with that. He might find he'd have to carry an HVAC contracting license along with whatever he might need for inspecting homes, depending on where he operates. Many home inspectors might not see the value for the time invested...they'll just stick with doing a sensible temperature split across the vents and call it good.

Personally I think most home inspectors should defer HVAC performance inspections to HVAC contractors who are skilled in determining actual HVAC performance. Admittedly, finding a contractor with that capability is not easy. What I think should happen more often in these days of higher energy costs is that an energy audit of the home be included in the transaction, so the prospective buyer has an idea going in what he may up against as far as costs to keep the house comfortable. Integral to that audit should be actual evaluation of the HVAC performance, along with noting any potential problems with the system. The main stickler would be who would pay for such a thing...seller or buyer?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mathor View Post
    So, lets have some fun. What do you folks think about training home inspectors to determine the SH and SC of systems during the course of an inspection. The key would, of course, be the training or should the current standard of two temperatures (return and supply) and a general visual be enough.

Problem is HI are to observe, I personally say let them be they already cause enough grief while just observing,
    could you imagine how stupid they would try and make the a/c guy or gal look if they went any farther?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes

A Good Thread toward Thinking about Energy Conservation

Great posts to foster some thinking about what might be helpful toward the needed "Conservation of Energy."

I am for the energy audit in the form of a heat-gain heat-loss calc, that would be made part of the home's records.

Inspectors could also be equipped to do a Blower Door infiltration test, & a Duct-Blaster test. Seems like I recall that CA does that.

Since far too few service techs are doing it, wouldn't it be great if the inspectors did a duct system ESP check & an airflow velocity & CFM report, with a permanent record for clueless so-called techs, ha!

If America is going to be serious Energy conservation, we need a lot of tech service work to be mandatory.

They rule mandated the end of the mfg'er of 12-SEER units that most could be made to achieve 13-SEER Ratings! Those 12-evaporators would fit where the new 13's won't fit.

Hey Bill, maybe some, so-called techs, ought to be revealed as being foolish. - udarrell

Post Likes
    NO. They should require a full inspection of both the furnace and the a/c system. By a reputable company. Job security for us and peace of mind for the homeowner and the insurance company. I would bet insurance rates would go down.
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes
    Most HIs are Shlameels........ lol

Post Likes
    Would probably cause more confusuion then what it would be worth.

Too many variables can cause the SH, and SC to be off, for them to say what is wrong. If anything. So still need a rech to come out and check the system. So it wouldn't benefit anyone.
    Let alone if a schrader goes bad while disconnecting. They would now have to repair the damage they did.
    And recharge the system for free.

Post Likes
    my favorite on home inspectors is when they inspect a home ac the home is 90° and high humidity and they write up 14° evap coil temp difference should be between 15 and 20 this could indicate a problem. i dont think home inspectors should even touch the ac home buyers should have a hvac co inspect they systems before purchase

Post Likes
    Last I knew WI required a home energy audit on all homes before they can be transfered for use as a rental property. The home has to be brought up to energy code standards before the purchase can be finalized.

Why this isn't the case for every other residence being sold I have nooooooooo clue.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    i say call the professional. I get tired of going into homes where the HI says everythings ok on a 30 yr old furnace/ac you get out there to fix or replace and they tell you I didnt know its that much and by the way I have a home warranty.

Post Likes
    Shlameels I'm tellin ya! lol

Post Likes
    I am not even sure if home inspectors should be performing home inspections, much less trying to do hvac work.

Post Likes
    I believe most HI's are there to determine whether the home is structurally safe or not. If you as a seller sell your house as is, doesn't that mean as is.

I have been to many homes that were sold to new owners with AC systems that were working but 30 yo and falling apart. AC guy was there before the closing, gave a little go go juice and system is working, contract signed and every one is on there way.

What if you were selling your house and the HI said you had a deficient system and had to layout 5 to 10 grand before the new owner moved in or the plumbing wasn't up to par.
    Maybe I just have a bad attitude about the HI process.
    If HI's looked real close they would find a lot of faults with a lot of houses and the whole process would slow down or stop. Hey thats just my opinion
    Learning is a lifelong process

Post Likes
    I don't want any HI contaminating my systems with mixed refrigerants or air left in their gages. Unless they are licensed and willing to warranty the system stick to pointing your laser thermometer at the registers and getting false readings.

Post Likes
    I can tell you within 15 minutes if the system is performing within standards without connecting gauges.

So could HI if they were trained to do it.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    i don't even want to see a HI touch the thermostat!!

and they use IR temp guns to get delta "T" 's, very inacurate!!!

if you want a HVAC inspection done, call a professional HVAC contractor out to do it!!

there are so many things that a HI doesn't check on HVAC equipment that its hardly worth paying the money for him to check that aspect of the home! as it is now they lawfully cannot take the panels off the systems. and you wnat them to do SH and SC...

most HI's done are a scam anyways. i sold my house "as is" and thats how it should be IMO told buyer if the wanted HI, fine. but i am not going to fix anything and the price is not negotiable! and with that being said, i didn't knowingly leave anything wrong or bad either.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    HI are not there to diagnose problems. I did teach one to measure the delta H. If it was below 5.5 or above 7.5 he would recommend they call a professional

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rponson View Post
    HI are not there to diagnose problems. I did teach one to measure the delta H. If it was below 5.5 or above 7.5 he would recommend they call a professional
    Exactly. It's just a check. Is the sh or sc within range? Is the dH within range?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    The home inspection biz started in an attempt to get rid of contractors coming in and giving long lists of things to do and doing it for a price. Believe it not some got greedy and the indepent HI biz was born. We're not allowed to work on the properties we inspect and our findings should be completely unbaised. Yes, most inspectors need more ed but they have to have the working and repair knowledge to determine the difference between significant defects from normal wear. We are basically elephant hunting looking for the hidden major defect. So for me I'm not as concerned about a system needing to be charged as I am a leak at the evap coil.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in