Hybrid View

Basement Pressure due to System Design

In addition to my dehumidifiers, I am considering installing a system in the basement that draws air out of the basement periodically. My assumption is that this would create some negative pressure that would draw air in from the upper floors.

My question is, is it more advantageous to have a basement that is positive or negative pressured? Will negative pressure also draw moisture from my cinder block walls and from ground? Are there other problems with negative pressure in the basement?

My dehumidifiers basically eliminated 95% of the musty odor and I love them as much as my cars now. I just want the basement to smell fresh as well and I was wondering which is better, a positive or a negative pressurized basement.

Thanks!

Slightly positive is better. a negative pressure would draw moisture from walls, windows & doors.

Quote Originally Posted by obxtech View Post
    Slightly positive is better. a negative pressure would draw moisture from walls, windows & doors.
    I guess that is another thing I need to take care of.....when my blower is on (my Trane XV95) the basement door pulls slightly open about 2 inches. I always leave it open now so I don't pull back pressure from the water heater flue.....Time to seal all leaks in panned returns.... Not sure how I can get it slightly positive though.....unless I intentionally allow leaks from the supply ducts
    Key1