Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 21 of 21
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    389
    Heat traps on water heaters.... Can't stand them. They cause more call backs than they save in energy.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by EverettsHVAC View Post
    Heat traps on water heaters.... Can't stand them. They cause more call backs than they save in energy.
    Wasn't recommending you install them yourself. Just make sure the manufacturer has them built in. Many units are coming that way. Just make sure yours is, that way its part of the warranty.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    389
    All new tank type water heaters come with them. We have had more problems with them then they are worth. I really dislike these things if you can't tell...

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by EverettsHVAC View Post
    All new tank type water heaters come with them. We have had more problems with them then they are worth. I really dislike these things if you can't tell...
    don't worry the hot water coil thing is out for sure. I wasn't planning on doing anything with the water heater.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    72

    Confused which part is the "return drop"?

    another contractor stopped by, he didn't think I need to rebuild the top part (where the two join) of the return. On his chart it shows he has what he need cf??. Nobody seems to know why (see 1 post photo) it has a "flat blocked duct under it" any guesses?

    is the return drop the bottom (photo 1) next to the furnace?

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Huntsville,AL
    Posts
    4,125
    what problems have been experienced with 'heat traps' ?

    I installed the thermal antisiphon nipples on my elec HWH some 4y/a & they have worked great!!!

    Ohouse: buy a system which is designed for YOUR house, of good materials & workmanship. Pretend that the present one does not exist, then see what can be salvaged, or just how bad a mismatch. read lots herein.
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,896
    The return drop is the vertical section from the furnace to the horizontal duct at the joist.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by cem-bsee View Post
    what problems have been experienced with 'heat traps' ?

    I installed the thermal antisiphon nipples on my elec HWH some 4y/a & they have worked great!!!

    Ohouse: buy a system which is designed for YOUR house, of good materials & workmanship. Pretend that the present one does not exist, then see what can be salvaged, or just how bad a mismatch. read lots herein.
    The heat traps provided with Rheem and State water heaters really reduce water flow. They look like 1/2" dia inside. We have found on replacements that HO's complain that they aren't getting as much hot water as before. We remove the heat traps and problem is solved.

    Sorry to hijack this thread....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event