Pitot tubes for velocity

Anybody out there in the world take velocity measurements anymore? is there a recommended pitot tube diameter rated for certain size ducts or does any of that stuff matter

Quote Originally Posted by n-e-w Jerz! View Post
    Anybody out there in the world take velocity measurements anymore? is there a recommended pitot tube diameter rated for certain size ducts or does any of that stuff matter
    Hi New Jerz,
    I and a lot of other guys do use a pitot tubes to measure the air velocity pressure to determine air flow.
    The pitot tubes are the same diameter. The diameter may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. seen one that was 72 inches long but the same diameter as an 18 inch tube.
    Allen

thanks allen. seems like your the only one out there who would take the time to use this lost art of taking measurements! guess i only have to purchase one pitot tube instead of many.

HI New Jerz,
    I use the pitot tubes inconjunction with a Shortridge Air Data Meter. The Shortridge can be set to be used with the pitot tube, instead of displaying a difference in pressure (which it will do) it will display velocity in feet per minute. It actually will average the stored velocity readings.
    We do have the inclined manometers, but don't use them because of the Shortridge.
    Allen

Several know how to do it.

Many have found that mini vanes are more repeatable and more accurate because of the larger opening.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

i'll be using a magnehilic gauge or a testo digital manometer. was surprised at how much a inclined manometer cost. really don't want to buy anymore tools right now (even though i will end up buying something anyhow)...