Rheem Prestige inherited from previous owner

I just bought a house and it had a Rheem Prestige Contour furnace/AC installed in the basement, dated 2005. It also had a humidifier installed on the air return duct, but the water valve to it is corroded shut so I have it turned off. I wonder if anyone could help me out with a few quick questions:

1. The AC is installed on top of the furnace and occasionally a small amount of water leaks out from the front of the join between the furnace and AC. Is that a problem? There is already a separate pvc pipe leading to a drain.

2. I can feel air blowing out of the seem between the AC and furnace, should I try and tape that seem up?

3. There is a number "6" flashing on the LED display through the bottom window of the furnace. Any idea what that could mean?
    Last edited by kraftwerk; 07-25-2008 at 07:21 PM.

What is the evaporator coil model #, (the assembly sitting on top of the furnace with the copper lines coming in)

Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    What is the evaporator coil model #, (the assembly sitting on top of the furnace with the copper lines coming in)
    I think it's an Aspen TXV judging from the paperwork that was sitting next to it.

Sticker says:

P/N: 8406
    model: BVR32 48-CKX203R421C

Engineered for use with Rheem and some other brand...

Ok, well its not the coil I was thinking of, You may have something touching the back of the coil door , that is condensating, which the condensation is normal, but it should run to the drain pan, not down the back of the door, also the suction line may need to be insulated where it penetrates the coil case. These are just a few possibilities, there are several more, ranging on up to low refrigerant charge. It would be best to call a technician to take a look.

Error 66 means the motor is trying to move more air than it can. That would mean undersized duct system or other reason for insufficient airflow. Probably wise to have a Rheem dealer that knows that furnace check out the settings and duct system as well as the condensate drain.

Ah it's 66... I didn't realize there was only one LED It goes from 0 to C then to 66.

The unit originally had a Dynamic brand electric polarized filter installed but it was very dirty and I didn't have the replacement media for it, so I replaced it with a Filtrete ultra-allergen regular filter from Lowes. It was the most expensive one and I assume the most "dense", which I guess could retard the air flow?

I also have quite a few of the down stairs floor vents closed in an effort to even out the upstairs and down stairs temp. Could that make a difference or would only the intake ducts make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by kraftwerk View Post
    The unit originally had a Dynamic brand electric polarized filter installed but it was very dirty and I didn't have the replacement media for it, so I replaced it with a Filtrete ultra-allergen regular filter from Lowes. It was the most expensive one and I assume the most "dense", which I guess could retard the air flow?
    Filtretes are known to be very restrictive and cause high static pressures. I got the same reprimand when I started posting to this site.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftwerk View Post
    I also have quite a few of the down stairs floor vents closed in an effort to even out the upstairs and down stairs temp. Could that make a difference or would only the intake ducts make a difference?
    Closing any supply or return grills WILL cause higher static pressure, which can lead to the code you have.

If I were you, I would-
    Buy a simple fiberglass filter and replace the filtrete. Open the vents. Reset the power to the system (turn circuit breaker(s) off/on).

See if that fixes the problem.

As for condensation, it is normal at the coil, but is supposed to go down the condensate tube.

I would have a pro check the condensate drain and the internal drainage, and while they are at it, check your coil to see if it is clogged up with lint. This also causes high static pressure, and also uninformed techs adding unneeded gas.

-HF

That 3M will get restrictive pretty quickly if it isn't already!

All error codes are 2 digits. They flash one after another. Since this is the same number, may not have been easy to tell.

Still don't know how to reset the board so you know if the problem has been solved by the new filter.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    That 3M will get restrictive pretty quickly if it isn't already!

All error codes are 2 digits. They flash one after another. Since this is the same number, may not have been easy to tell.

Still don't know how to reset the board so you know if the problem has been solved by the new filter.
    That is exactly what I was thinking, that it may just be a stored fault code from the previously clogged filter. Only way to tell for sure, is have a tech take a look.