Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trane vs Goodman

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by praha99 View Post
    Just FYI, if you don`t agree with ROBO, he will become very childish and attack your character... call you names.. etc That`s pretty standard operating procedure.
    Just watch I`m next
    They can all be reprogrammed or disassembled.
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Why? What are your reasons for this bias? Be specific please.
    ok sure no problem.

1. Bad designs.
    Downflow boards that get too hot and have the same hot spot on all the bad ones (just one example)
    2. Crappy Bristol compressors on majority of older units
    3. Cheap cabinets
    4. Noisy after a few years due to #3
    5. Warranty a Goodman part at Johnstone, normal wait to get reimbursement: 4 months.
    Others a tad better.
    6. No local technical support (Chicago land area)
    7. Mostly installed by lowest bidder or "friend of a friend" doing side work and other hacks
    8. 90+ furnaces PITA traps
    9. " " no sealed combustion chamber
    10. Same price (for me) as a better quality B series American Standard product.. so why even bother
    11. Horrible reputation (must be because they are so good.. maybe they are just misunderstood lol)
    etc...etc..

I could say the same about other low end brand but you didn`t ask
    Sorry - yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.

Post Likes
    The goodmans I have installed recently, have a copeland compressor in them. Your reasons for not liking them are a little shallow, but then again, I have kind of a rheem bias myself. Although I sell a lot more of the Amana's lateley, comes with the same copeland scroll the rheem does, and a lot better warranty, also lower price, Just a better all around value for the customer. From a service stand point, it is hard to beat rheems access, everything in the one back compartment, but that is about the only advantage. By the way we recently set 6 goodmans, all in a row on one side of a building, I was actually impressed by how quite they were running,

Post Likes
    In addition to being quieter than Goodman, the Trane/American Standard has:

1. Spine fin coil.
    2. All aluminum evaporator coil.
    3. Condensor cabinet that was painted AFTER being stamped.

This is a short versoion of a much longer list, but thought I'd throw this out there since we've got to 3 pages without anyone noting these obvious differences. And I just dont have the time to explain in detail why Trane is superior.
    White Bear Township, Minnesota
    www.summitheating.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post

1. Spine fin coil.

This is a short versoion of a much longer list, but thought I'd throw this out there since we've got to 3 pages without anyone noting these obvious differences. And I just dont have the time to explain in detail why Trane is superior.
    None of this adds up to better performance. Trane is a good product. But again, a properly installed goodman will perform just as well.

Post Likes
    In my opinion, Goodmans are not a bad thing, but not a good one either. Here on the coast of North Carolina, the goodmans are not great in a latent capacity. The design of them are more sensible than latent. But here, they will outlast a Trane by double.

Trane, god I hate me a Trane. Besides being part specific, meaning you need to go back to the factory for almost every damned part, the coil is a disaster in my mind. Cant repair them when they leak. I condemn probably 30 a year because of the discharge line rubbing a hole in the bottom of the coil where it comes up to the reversing valve. The rotolock fittings here rust out within 3 years and start leaking. The factory will not warranty a compressor change out due to leaking, rusted rotolocks. Perfectly working compressors taken out because you cant get the fittings off of them.

GMC has had terrible issues with thin copper on their A series air handlers. I love to see one of those with a freon leak. I really dont understand how GMC is still designing equipment with orfices. I dont like orfices at all.

Post Likes
    I dont install a lot of goodmans per say, But do a lot of amana ( slightly higher end goodman) and all get a TXV, it is installer decision. And looking at their charts, you will not get the rated efficiency, without one on most set-ups. Of course that is pretty much all manufacturers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skwsproul View Post
    I was talking about the statement that you said "In the nearly 10 years I was with Goodman, I've never seen a warranty issue that wasn't caused by the contractor or consumer.". I was in no way trying to attack you but that statement, unless I misunderstood you, seemed a bit bull to me so like you I called it as I saw it so sorry if you got offended. If I am wrong show me the error in my way and I am a big enough man to admit it. As far as "B" stock parts a lot of corporations end up in lawsuit after lawsuit against the companies that supplied their parts for exactly this reason,and I did not say that they did for sure I was just speculating possible reasons that their product line had slipped over the past few years.

OK now what the hell does knowing you and knowing what you are like have to do with a simple opinion(based on something that you yourself typed) is that some kind of a threat. I do not understand, I do not wish to attack an upstanding member of this site but if we can not speak our opinions what the hell good is this site any ways. Do not for a second take that as if I do not enjoy this site but threats are kind of childish and unnecassary.

I have read many of your posts and for the most part I have agreed with them but heave forbid I disagree with you once in a while.

Sorry to the person who started this thread as this is totally off topic.
    Looks like we both misread each others posts as they were intended

What I meant about contractors or consumers being at fault with warranty issues was the "warranty process", not the part that failed under warranty.

Sorry for the confusing way I posted that comment.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    your Goodman glasses are so thick you can`t see past them.
    Again, that comment that I posted was very badly worded. Sorry for the confusion but I certainly did not mean that Goodman has not had warranty issues that were simply manufacturing issues.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Just FYI, if you don`t agree with ROBO, he will become very childish and attack your character... call you names.. etc That`s pretty standard operating procedure.
    Just watch I`m next
    I do not. Nuh uhhhh......and how would someone like you know anyway, you commie liberal
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Then you agree that this was merely an opinion that has no basis in fact? Is asking someone for a reason for their "opinion" harrassment? Should we all just go; ooohhh and ahhhh because someone makes a comment that a brand is best with absolutely no reason as to why?

And what does any of this have to do with you? Why must you harrass me when I attempt to obtain proper information rather then mere opinions? See how silly that sounds?

What does this have to do with me. I'm a member of this board. I've been here only 1 year less than you. I have given specfic reasons why I'd rather not install Goodman products and have lost privledges on this site because of that.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    Ok I have read and read this post "In the nearly 10 years I was with Goodman, I've never seen a warranty issue that wasn't caused by the contractor or consumer." and I have to say that I am sorry but it comes off the wrong way. I think that you are saying that in the 10 years that you were with Goodman that there were no problems with Goodman backing their warranties other than those created by the contractor or consumer. I misunderstood that as if you were saying that Goodman was flawless and never had a component fail that was not due to the consumer or contractor. I say again to the person who started this post make sure that the company you deal with gets your equipment from a local supply house (not an online store).
    Thank you for taking the time to try to understand my intent. Damned posting makes me sound like I could possibly be an unreasonable person
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    They can all be reprogrammed or disassembled.
    Been there, done that
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    ok sure no problem.

1. Bad designs.
    Downflow boards that get too hot and have the same hot spot on all the bad ones (just one example)
    2. Crappy Bristol compressors on majority of older units
    3. Cheap cabinets
    4. Noisy after a few years due to #3
    5. Warranty a Goodman part at Johnstone, normal wait to get reimbursement: 4 months.
    Others a tad better.
    6. No local technical support (Chicago land area)
    7. Mostly installed by lowest bidder or "friend of a friend" doing side work and other hacks
    8. 90+ furnaces PITA traps
    9. " " no sealed combustion chamber
    10. Same price (for me) as a better quality B series American Standard product.. so why even bother
    11. Horrible reputation (must be because they are so good.. maybe they are just misunderstood lol)
    etc...etc..

I could say the same about other low end brand but you didn`t ask
    Wow! You really just proved my point about Goodman bashers.

Bad designs? Now that's really specific.

Downflow boards with hot spots? Don't know what you are referring to. Furnaces? Air Handlers? What? I have not experieinced an overall problem here with the boards that so many other manufacturer's, including Trane, use.

Crappy Bristol compressors? You mean like the kind that every major manufacturer of equipment used for decades with no major problems? Those "crappy" compressors? You mean the "crappy" Bristol compressors that York Manufacturing owned for years and used in all of their products? Those "crappy" Bristol compressors? Again, just your opinion. However, Goodman has not been using Bristol as their main compressor for several years.

Cheap cabinets? Noisy due to cheap cabinets? I just don't know what you are referring to as being cheap.

Problems with warranty? By your own statement that is a problem between you and your distributor. Maybe that is also why you are being charged so much for Goodman.

No local tech support? Again, not Goodman but rather your distributor. I would not sell a product that didn't have decent support either, but it does not make the product bad. In my area the terrible support is for Lennox equipment, does that make Lennox products inferior?

#7 has nothing to do with the product quality whatsoever, just your ranting.

Furnace condensate traps? Gotta admit they took me back a little when I first saw them. Now? I think the simplicity and practicality (cannot have vent issues and are easy to clean) make them great. Most of my contractors also prefer them so that is just your opinion.

No sealed combustion chamber? Technically that is incorrect. The combustion area is sealed, just like on Rheem/Ruud furnaces. OK, I agree that sealed burner chambers have a benefit of being quieter in sensitive locations, other then that, sealed burners is an additional cost factor that has no technical advantage. Goodman furnaces are among the highest efficiency furnaces on the market and have led in efficiency ratings, so where is the benefit of sealed burners?

The pricing factor again reflects on you and your relationship with the distributor and not on the product. The reputation is something that people like just like to keep trying to keep going while Goodman keeps gaining in market share. Hell, if that kind of reputation results in continued better sales; I'll take it
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post

1. Spine fin coil.

All good points for features that could be beneficial in certain applications.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PDQuick View Post
    GMC has had terrible issues with thin copper on their A series air handlers. I love to see one of those with a freon leak. I really dont understand how GMC is still designing equipment with orfices. I dont like orfices at all.
    The copper tubing used by Goodman is no thinner then any other copper tubing on the market. In fact, Goodman did not have to even change their copper tubing in order for their coils to be rated for R410a.

Your not liking fixed metering is an opinion, and that is fine. It however does not change the fact that Goodman units using piston metering getting the same efficiency ratings as other units using mechanical txv metering is doing the same job for less with less chance of a part failure.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    What does this have to do with me. I'm a member of this board. I've been here only 1 year less than you. I have given specfic reasons why I'd rather not install Goodman products and have lost privledges on this site because of that.
    Oh really? With all of the opinions about Goodman; it was "YOU" who lost posting privedges for doing so?

Grow up milkdud; you lost posting privelegdes for the same reason that others of us have lost posting priveledges; you broke site rules
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    I'd go with Goodman. the unit on my home has been running for 7 years with no problems. neighbors who upgraded to Trane have been experiencing leaks along with other minor problems.

Post Likes
    Oh really? With all of the opinions about Goodman; it was "YOU" who lost posting privedges for doing so?

Grow up milkdud; you lost posting privelegdes for the same reason that others of us have lost posting priveledges; you broke site rules
    No I didn't. I did not break site rules. And instead of warnings like issued to other members I received none. Decisions where made without my being able to defend myself. Actions where taken with out even the curtsey of notifying me of such negative actions. These actions where taken neither by the Site Admin. Or a moderator.

By the way you just broke a site rule yourself. But I won't hit the abuse button and rat you out because I am infact "grown up".
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    Hey guys they all remove humity from the air and we all know that TRANE more money than GOODMAN and the rep. that Goodman has with the junkatroll name.Plain and simple if the price is the same which I dout GO WITH TRANE but like you guys are saying the installion is VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in