Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    don't get too much diy here. when its 105 outside and wifey sends em up in the attic to see why the blower's not coming on, they usually can't breathe that 150 degree attic air long enough to get to the air handler. so much for an "easy" trade!!! i'll tell ya whats easy, standin around watching some body else work.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

good to see you back shawn

hows life in payson
    aint seen any videos on youtube from ya in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by PaysonHVAC View Post
    BWAH HA HA HA! No doubt! LOL!

BTW. Why remove the link? Why are the people on this forum so damn worried about any Tom Dick or DIY that may WANDER in here that we have to inconvenience ourselves? Put the link back! I wanna see this one!

Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    hows life in payson
    aint seen any videos on youtube from ya in a long time.
    I don't think he's back. Look at the date of that post.

Mechanical ability and the correct training and experience is what makes a good tech.

You remind me of the guys I've met over the past 15 years or more that say I have common sense and I don't need anything else. They do their thing, then I redo what they have done.
    True, I do mean mechanical ability, but I've found people who have common sense and work in the trades have that common sense translate into mechanical ability. Also many people who think they have common sense really don't, especially the ones who are commonly saying they have it. Have you ever met anyone who didn't think they had common sense?

I never said you don't need anything else to be a good tech, but I do know some very smart people who do not work in the trade who I know would do a better job than many techs I know. Why? Because they will do their research and do it properly, looking up all the codes and talking to the right people, they will spend days on what takes an experienced guy hours to do, and if they do have trouble with a step they will get someone with the proper knowledge to help them out.

I'd also have to add to your list of mechanical ability, proper training, and experience. I know guys with all three who are worthless. You also have to have the desire to learn and admit when you're wrong. The people with that combo wipe the floor with most techs, myself included. I know guys with 30+ years of experience like that, who are great and I learn something from them almost each time I work with them. I also know guys missing one or two of those things who have 30 years and I wouldn't trust them to change a thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeVDS View Post
    I never said you don't need anything else to be a good tech, but I do know some very smart people who do not work in the trade who I know would do a better job than many techs I know. Why? Because they will do their research and do it properly, looking up all the codes and talking to the right people, they will spend days on what takes an experienced guy hours to do.
    You make a good point. Also, one of the major motivators for that group is that it's their own home and they want the job done right knowing that no shortcuts will be taken. (However the combination of motivation, time and aptitude probably represents a small subset of the population.)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234