Confused What do you think? High Velocity or Ductless Heating and Cooling?

I am interested in everyone's opinion. Here is the scenario:
    I am remodeling a single story 2200 sq ft home with a full basement. The house will have a open floor plan. It was built in 1924. No central air, radiated heat. The basement ceiling is only 7ft. I plan to utilize the basement as a family room and would love to keep as much ceiling height as possible. I plan to purchase a HVAC system but am starting to go crazy trying to decide between a traditional forced air system, high velocity system or the ductless systems. I like the information that I have been reading about the high velocity systems but there are a lot of stories about the amount of noise the Unico systems make. I live in the Midwest and have heard that the ductless heating systems may not work for our cold winters. I really would not prefer to go with the large ducts associated with the traditional forced systems but if that is the best of the three, I have no choice. Any advice?

have an attic?

Yes. Its a walk-up attic. I am debating on whether to put a dormer up and create additional living space which is why I am looking at putting the HVAC system in the basement.

even if you do a dormer you should have room for an air handler in the knee wall.

depending on joist spacing in basement you may have room for regular ducts and maybe just a soffit to cover some of it.

trying to do a whole house with mini splits can get very pricey.

No to Ductless

Ductless mini splits dont have any auxillary electric heat strips, so what you heard about them not heating well in the winter is true. When the weather is really cold heat pumps need the heat strip to keep up with the desired temperature. I don't know alot about high velocity system's to really say anything about them but I have heard some horror stories. If there is any way to run a traditional duct system at all I would try and figure it out whether it is the knee wall in the attic or to drop portions of the cieling in the basement where the duct work needs to be ran I would go that route.

depends on your budget for the install, depends on your utility operating costs. i would probably do a dual fuel conventential system with gas backup.depends on the look that you are going for. i wouldn't do ductless at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DRE112 View Post
    I am interested in everyone's opinion. Here is the scenario:
    I am remodeling a single story 2200 sq ft home with a full basement. The house will have a open floor plan. It was built in 1924. No central air, radiated heat. The basement ceiling is only 7ft. I plan to utilize the basement as a family room and would love to keep as much ceiling height as possible. I plan to purchase a HVAC system but am starting to go crazy trying to decide between a traditional forced air system, high velocity system or the ductless systems. I like the information that I have been reading about the high velocity systems but there are a lot of stories about the amount of noise the Unico systems make. I live in the Midwest and have heard that the ductless heating systems may not work for our cold winters. I really would not prefer to go with the large ducts associated with the traditional forced systems but if that is the best of the three, I have no choice. Any advice?
    If you have an open layout main floor with a central core (typically 1/2 bath, coat closet), you can run the ducts up a shaft in the core and then run all the main floor returns and ducts through the attic. Use insulated duct and then cover them with blow-in insulation.

In the basement, most of the ducts will run straight up. You only need stubs in either direction to cover the basement itself.

-HF

Another option

If you decide to go ductless/mini-split, you can get systems like the Fujitsu which has multiple indoor units on one outdoor unit.

Personally, I don't like big hunks of wall space taken up by blower units, but they can be real problem solvers in old architecture.

-HF

Cool

I have installed about 15 of the Unico high velocity systems and have not had any customer complaints about noise. The smaller tubing and outlets help maintain the integrity of an old home.

Good luck!