Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused 13 SEER, or higher

Why would some recommend a higher SEER rating? I live in NE Ohio and we are looking at putting in a Goodman electric furnace with an add on heat pump at 13 SEER. (3.5) ton.

A number of people have suggested that we should go with the 16 or 18 SEER. I understand that the SEER deals with the cooling side. Is it worth the extra cost from 13-16 or 18 when we only have 2.5 months of time when we would really use AC?

Heat pumps also have heating efficiency ratings, indicated as an HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor).

In general, the higher the HSPF rating, the less electricity the unit will use to heat your home.

So depending on your cost vs your payback it may very well be worth going to higher seer rating ask for the figures from your contractor so you can see the savings you would be getting.

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Why would some recommend a higher SEER rating? I live in NE Ohio and we are looking at putting in a Goodman electric furnace with an add on heat pump at 13 SEER. (3.5) ton.

A number of people have suggested that we should go with the 16 or 18 SEER. I understand that the SEER deals with the cooling side. Is it worth the extra cost from 13-16 or 18 when we only have 2.5 months of time when we would really use AC?
    In a 3-ton size, the 14 SEER GSH Goodman heat pump has a much higher HSPF and btu output than the 13 SEER, especially at the 17F rating (almost 5000 btu more). The 14 (in R-22) also gives you a Copeland scroll compressor which is industry preferred.

I would go with the 14 SEER for the above reasons. I would not go higher than 14 SEER.

Check and compare the numbers for yourself: www.GoodmanMFG.com. Go to "products", then "heat pumps", choose the heat pump, then go to "product specs".

I would also get the optional TXV for the indoor coil.

I have the 3-ton GSH14036 heat pump. Changing the 1" filter is a real PIA. Get a separate 4" media filter.

Take care.
    Last edited by gary_g; 07-25-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added website address and other info

The Goodman GSH13042-1 3.5 ton heat pump does have the Copeland scroll compressor, not that their is anything wrong with recipricating compressors.

For additional features and the best value for the money for an area like Ohio, I do agree that the Goodman 14 Seer GSH14042-1 would be a good choice.

A definite feature I would want for more comfort and year round efficiency is a variable speed indoor blower unit such as the AEPF model air handler or the MBE model blower with matching coil. This would raise the efficiency of that 14 SEER to 15 SEER for the matched system.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Good question. I've heard that attaining true, consistant 18 SEER or higher performance assumes you live in an area where it has constant low humidity and usual peak temps in the low 80's. If I lived in such a paradise, I would install permanent screen windows and throw the circuit breaker on the A/C to "off".

As with most technology investments, there is a point of diminishing returns, where you can buy more efficiency, but it just isn't worth it. Get quotes on 14, 15 and 16 SEER systems, and like the other posters said, pay close attention to the HPSF ratings. Then you can decide how much to pay for efficiency.

-HF

Quote Originally Posted by hangfirew8 View Post
    Good question. I've heard that attaining true, consistant 18 SEER or higher performance assumes you live in an area where it has constant low humidity and usual peak temps in the low 80's. If I lived in such a paradise, I would install permanent screen windows and throw the circuit breaker on the A/C to "off".
    You have been told wrongly.

There is a point where the energy savings is just not going to justify the additional cost for efficiency, but it has nothing to do with optimal conditions. Actually, the more brutal the conditions are, the more effective higher efficiency systems can be set up to be.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

For additional features and the best value for the money for an area like Ohio, I do agree that the Goodman 14 Seer GSH14042-1 would be a good choice.

thank you I am looking into that now.

[QUOTE=gary_g;1938756]In a 3-ton size, the 14 SEER GSH Goodman heat pump has a much higher HSPF and btu output than the 13 SEER, especially at the 17F rating (almost 5000 btu more). The 14 (in R-22) also gives you a Copeland scroll compressor which is industry preferred.

I would go with the 14 SEER for the above reasons. I would not go higher than 14 SEER.

Check and compare the numbers for yourself: www.GoodmanMFG.com. Go to "products", then "heat pumps", choose the heat pump, then go to "product specs".

Thank you, I never thought putting in a new HVAC system would use this much research. You help is invaluable. I am looking into this unit now.

where im at theres only a 40 dollar savings between 13 and 14 seer units in the cooling mode. i say have someone due the calculations in your area about how much you can save over a yr. just make sure they have the righ5t numbers for your area

[QUOTE=knott;1940581]where im at theres only a 40 dollar savings between 13 and 14 seer units in the cooling mode. i say have someone due the calculations in your area about how much you can save over a yr.

I am currently getting prices on 14, 15 an 16 SEER by the contractor. AS it looks now the 16 SEER may be too expensive to get any return back especially compared to the HSPF at 9.5 but we will see when the other quotes come in.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    You have been told wrongly.
    Note to self- don't believe everything you read on hvac-talk.

-HF

[QUOTE=gonefishin;1940632]
    Quote Originally Posted by knott View Post
    where im at theres only a 40 dollar savings between 13 and 14 seer units in the cooling mode. i say have someone due the calculations in your area about how much you can save over a yr.
    Quote Originally Posted by knott View Post

I am currently getting prices on 14, 15 an 16 SEER by the contractor. AS it looks now the 16 SEER may be too expensive to get any return back especially compared to the HSPF at 9.5 but we will see when the other quotes come in.
    What kind of a car do you drive.

Do you drive one that gets the best gas milage, but bites for comfort.
    Or one that provides copmfort while your driving.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

[QUOTE=beenthere;1940997]
    [B]
    What kind of a car do you drive.

Do you drive one that gets the best gas milage, but bites for comfort.
    Or one that provides copmfort while your driving.

Ok.... are you saying the same thing applies with Heat pumps? A higher SEER/HSPF rating is great for efficiency but is worse on comfort?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast