Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Houston area recomendations?

I noticed a water spot on the ceiling and after investigation I found that the ducts are dripping pretty good. The ducts are insulated already so I don't know if there is much I can do.

I had dr cool professor heat come out and look at the ac before for a different issue. They are the only ac contractors I have dealt with and hate to just pic someone out of the phone book.

Does anyone here know someone they can recommend in the Houston area?

Thanks

How old is the duct system? possibly leaks or may be humidity.

If the duct temperature is below the dew point temperature
    air will condense on them.

Say you have 90% RH with attic temp @ 110 deg
    The dew point would be 107 degrees at which temperature air will condense on the ducts or cause ducts to "Sweat". Think I got that right, if not someone will correct me LOL

I have been in the house for 8 years and we never changed the duct work, so for all I know it could be the original (from 1978). The dr cool professor heat guy told me that if I replaced the ac system that the duct work would all have to be redone maybe to prevent this.

I went up in the attic this morning to look for the leak and it wasn't hot up there yet. There aren't any vents for the attic so I would assume it gets much hotter than 110*F.

Could also be any number of things refrigerant charge, low air flow, causing supply air to be to low, air leaks, deteriorated vapor barrier and poor insulation on ducts, if the are original to the house probably no more than r-4 insulation. but if Dr. Cool Professor heat guy's abilities live up to his name he should be able to figure it out.

I know the boys at Dr Cool, they are good guys. We also have a few members in your area, Classical, MrBill, JasonHoustonTx.

Sounds like you have leaks in the insulation. May be something you can do just by going up in the attic and making sure no attic air can get to any metal ducts, pipes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I know the boys at Dr Cool, they are good guys. We also have a few members in your area, Classical, MrBill, JasonHoustonTx.

Sounds like you have leaks in the insulation. May be something you can do just by going up in the attic and making sure no attic air can get to any metal ducts, pipes, etc.
    Are you talking about sealing the joints where the metal duct work fit together? The line that is leaking is a metal line and not flex. What do you seal it with?

I believe he is talking about rips or openings in the insulation itself, you can seal any rips or openiings with duct tape. If you can see or feel metal it needs to be sealed from allowing any attic air to hit the metal surface.

Can you get the insulation to put around the metal ducts at Home Depot? If putting better insulation on the ducts might fix my problem then I will give it a try.

Then I will just need to find a sheet rock guy. haha

I suspect that you are in the Clear Lake area if so Jason’s company is a good choice. Dr. Heat and Professor Cool are high quality people I would trust their judgment.

A home built in 1978 would have metal ducts and sealing and rewrapping is the best option but is an expensive labor intensive operation. I would not replace metal duct with flex duct and if that is what they are recommending look for someone else.

How close to the plenum is your leak?

I had a similar problem when my plenum supports sagged over time. The evaporator coil was creating more water than could drain quickly, and some blew into the plenum. Instead of draining back into coil drain, it ran into the ducts and caused a leak.

Fixed the sag and the drain. Now no leak and no stink when the heater runs the first time each winter.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    I suspect that you are in the Clear Lake area if so Jason’s company is a good choice. Dr. Heat and Professor Cool are high quality people I would trust their judgment.

A home built in 1978 would have metal ducts and sealing and rewrapping is the best option but is an expensive labor intensive operation. I would not replace metal duct with flex duct and if that is what they are recommending look for someone else.
    I don't remember if they even said what type of duct work they would replace it with, just that if I got a new system the the new ducts would be part of it. I didn't ask for much detail because at the time all I needed done was the replacement of the drains from the attic.

I live in Deer Park which isn't to far from Clear Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by jax1 View Post
    How close to the plenum is your leak?

I had a similar problem when my plenum supports sagged over time. The evaporator coil was creating more water than could drain quickly, and some blew into the plenum. Instead of draining back into coil drain, it ran into the ducts and caused a leak.

Fixed the sag and the drain. Now no leak and no stink when the heater runs the first time each winter.
    Without measuring it I would say maybe 10' or so if the plenum comes right off of the unit.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I wouldn't hesitate to replace metal ducts with "properly" sized flex.

If it's the same as here,the metal ducts are undersized ,and would require a lot of changes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast