Confused what are proper temps for display cases

Federal brand display case used in cafe for milk butter etc--my thermometer showing about 38'F but cafe manager wants it colder-he insist items are spoilng--problem is when I adjust it down the evap coil and exp valve start to freeze up--is that a problem with unit or is manager asking for something system not designed to do???? If you need more details I can provide but I assumed 38'F was fine as its in proper refrigeration temp range. Thank you

standard around here is 38
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 9yriceman View Post
    Federal brand display case used in cafe for milk butter etc--my thermometer showing about 38'F but cafe manager wants it colder-he insist items are spoilng--problem is when I adjust it down the evap coil and exp valve start to freeze up--is that a problem with unit or is manager asking for something system not designed to do???? If you need more details I can provide but I assumed 38'F was fine as its in proper refrigeration temp range. Thank you
    As long as the product temp stays at or below +40F you should be ok per most health inspection agencies.

The manager may not be blowing smoke about losing product though. Here is a list of some of the things that could cause the temp to rise too much during the off cycle and/or the evaporator to freeze up when you set the temp control colder.
    • Condenser cleanliness
    • Evaporator cleanliness
    • Temperature control differential/range setting
    • Condition of the door seals
    • Door(s) not closing properly
    • Frequency of door traffic
    • Insufficient system charge
    • Compressor inefficiency
    Myself, I like to run most display type coolers around +34F give or take (depending upon the model). Generally speaking you should be able to get the temp down at least a couple of degrees colder.

Start with the simple stuff
    • Check/clean the condenser
    • Check the door seal(s)
    • Check to make sure the door is closing properly
    • Check/clean the evaporator/fan blade(s)/fan guard(s)
    See if this will allow the temp to get a touch colder without freezing the coil. If you're still having problems then you may want to check the temp control setting, refrigerant charge, compressor efficiency.

On a small self-contained unit I try to stay away from hooking up a set of gauges to it unless I really feel I need to.

And when you're there poke around in the W/I,place a temperature indicator on a couple shelves,then come back in a bit to see if the product in the W/I is @ least 37 degrees.

Thats because Federal cases are designed to maintain 38 degrees and are a holding box not a pull down display box.
    FEN