Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Most of us here feel a good 2 stage stat is the only way to get the best comfort out of a 2 stage furnace. The timer eliminates the best feature of a 2 stage, long run times on gentle, quiet low in bitter weather.

The B is the width, 17.5"

The 8320/8321 can handle 2 stages of heat pump compressor and 1 stage gas backup or it can handle 2 stages of gas heat and 1 or 2 stages of cooling.

My guess is you have some screwy polarized media air cleaner, like a Dynamic or Airscreen.

BaldLoonie: what do you mean by "screwy"? any suggestion? pro/ con..

it took me a while to search around google I did found some information on Dynamic ...buymax some are for DIY ppl (trust me I can't diy anything). but seems like polarized media air cleaner seems to be okay. the epa.gov artical didn't like ionic much, now that is "screwy".

maybe I should just have those 4" media filter?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Most of us here feel a good 2 stage stat is the only way to get the best comfort out of a 2 stage furnace. The timer eliminates the best feature of a 2 stage, long run times on gentle, quiet low in bitter weather.

The 8320/8321 can handle 2 stages of heat pump compressor and 1 stage gas backup or it can handle 2 stages of gas heat and 1 or 2 stages of cooling.

My guess is you have some screwy polarized media air cleaner, like a Dynamic or Airscreen.

EPA.GOV great read, if you have the time.

Hi BaldLoonie,

I see what you mean by screwy http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airclean.html there are many other good articles there.

I guess the micro guard is part of Electronic air cleaners family. doesn't produce ozone thu!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post

Timer or not?

I saw this post by Mayguy, very good post. I saw many other wiring photo too. but my question so if I can set 5, 10, 15 mintues for 2nd stage to kick in isn't that consider timer or is that still consider tstat control?
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showpost.ph...11&postcount=3

Quote Originally Posted by Ohouse View Post
    I saw this post by Mayguy, very good post. I saw many other wiring photo too. but my question so if I can set 5, 10, 15 mintues for 2nd stage to kick in isn't that consider timer or is that still consider tstat control?
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showpost.ph...11&postcount=3
    If you set time on teh furnace board, that is timer, not stat control of second stage.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Also he say he perfer to use "timing" on the 2 stage variable speed using the Trane touchscreen thermostat. it sounds reasonable to keep furance on the 1st stage for 10 minute (5,10,15) before it kicks into full 80K btu. Or should I just ask them to let the thermostat decided when to go full power? he say sometimes the location of thermostat plays too much part into when it kicks into full power.

When a contractor expresses misgivings about a more advanced technology, it usually means they either a.) never installed it and are afraid of it, or b.) installed it once, screwed it up, and blame it for everything and will never do it again.

In other words, they have taken the position that they have stopped learning, and will not move forward in their profession.

Now, you have to decide, do you go with their comfort level on the install (which may affect your comfort level in the house and your bill$), do you push them out of their comfort and possibly competence level on the install, or do you find another contractor?

is there more reading about timing vs auto?
    The install manual will make it clear. The timing option is a fall-back for installs that use an older, more simplistic thermostat, or integrates the new control board with other older equipment. The manufacturer doesn't want to lose any sales because Grandma wants to keep her old honeywell thermostat.

-HF

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you were geting a VS blower, I would recomend the 900, which can control up to 4 stages of heat.
    The 900 only works with the communicating furnaces and air handlers, it doesn't have an equipment interface module, it wires directly to the indoor units control board.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The 900 only works with the communicating furnaces and air handlers, it doesn't have an equipment interface module, it wires directly to the indoor units control board.
    In that case. Get the Honeywell IAQ.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

speaking of the IAQ

speaking of the IAQ, just installed my first one the other week and found it pretty slick. just wondering if anybody has a link to any helpful info about setting these things up and/or wiring them. also since im already typing; how the hell does this thing communicate on just 1 wire?!? just curious...

Hangfirew,

you kinda hit the main point here. Why they want to installed it with timer? and this contractor actually done his calc and know what he is talking about... but still not sure he perfer timer?? is it so much easier to set timer than let the tstat do it's work?? I will stop by the contractor's show room hope to meet some of his tech, let's see if they know how to wire.... XL800

This is worst than cloth shopping with the wife!

I guess I can always the a photo of the wiring and post it here for laugh kinda expensive joke if you asks me.

I am sure it'll have install manual, but do <b>you</b> really want me to configure my new furnace, diy?

Quote Originally Posted by hangfirew8 View Post
    When a contractor expresses misgivings about a more advanced technology, it usually means they either a.) never installed it and are afraid of it, or b.) installed it once, screwed it up, and blame it for everything and will never do it again.

In other words, they have taken the position that they have stopped learning, and will not move forward in their profession.

Now, you have to decide, do you go with their comfort level on the install (which may affect your comfort level in the house and your bill$), do you push them out of their comfort and possibly competence level on the install, or do you find another contractor?

The install manual will make it clear. The timing option is a fall-back for installs that use an older, more simplistic thermostat, or integrates the new control board with other older equipment. The manufacturer doesn't want to lose any sales because Grandma wants to keep her old honeywell thermostat.

-HF

but still not sure he perfer timer?? is it so much easier to set timer than let the tstat do it's work??
    As other post has said it can be a few things why... I think a lot of them just got tired of customer saying "My furnace is running way too long than the old one!". Longer is better! It's easier on the car with long highway drive with cruise than the in town stop and go.

I have a 3 year old Trane XV90 in my home with the Honeywell IAQ, I LOVE the comfort and long run time with 1st stage running longer with our Minnesota winter day. Every room in the house is with in 1˚ from one another. Best of all, quiet! Our furnace is about 8' away from us in the family room downstairs.

This is worst than cloth shopping with the wife!
    What!? LOL I'd rather be doing this than clothes shopping... You're not standing around waiting for them to get out of the changing room!

I am sure it'll have install manual, but do <b>you</b> really want me to configure my new furnace, diy?
    No, I just meant read it enough to answer your question.

-HF

micropower guard

I have worked for a contractor that sold micropower guard filters alot. The customers would tell me that they were extreamly satisfied with them and many said they were having alergy relef. All I know about them is: thy look like a standard blue smerf stopper with a black film of carbon in the center, this film is electricly charged and seems to act like an ionic filter. The carbon also seems to absorb oders somewhat. the filters can last for up to 3 months but often less. Check the price on them with your contractor and be content with that price @ least 4 to 5 times a year since you can't get them @ your local building supply mega store, but I could be wrong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast